Notices

out of province sales taxation practices?

Old 02-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ansonintoronto's post is incorrect, as not all provinces have HST and taxation rates are different for various province. British Columbia repealed HST a couple of years ago, and Alberta doesn't have sales tax at all, only GST.
You have asked about Ontario to BC. Unfortunately, BC will hit you for 12% PST (yes it's 12% on importing a car from another province) when you go to register the car with ICBC.
Any PST you pay in Ontario should be refunded once you file the appropriate paperwork.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Donster
Pro

Originally Posted by boman993
AFAIK, I've heard that this goes two ways...But most often, when buying from a dealership;

1. Pay both taxes in Ontario where you buy the car.
2. Pay both taxes in BC when registering the car.
3. Apply for tax refund from Ontario with proof that the car is registered in BC.
This is correct.
The bad news is, as I said, that the B.C. tax is 12%.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Donster
This is correct.
The bad news is, as I said, that the B.C. tax is 12%.
would B.C take into account that the GST portion is already paid on a car bought in Ontario?
Old 02-11-2015, 11:42 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ansonintoronto
You guys are all making the discussion more complicated than it has to be.

PAY the HST wherever you purchase the car.....you do not "gain nor lose money" on where the tax is collected......once you register the car IN THE PROVINCE, the ministry will review what taxes have been or has not been paid.

Simple....end of discussion.....this is not rocket science.
Not so.
Typically a dealer selling outside the province is only supposed to collect the GST... not the PST....
If you pay the PST then you are getting screwed because you will have to pay PST again in the other province you are registering... Ministry dosnt care if you already paid PST elsewhere... they will want their PST too...
Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 AM
robertgalka
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Not so.
Typically a dealer selling outside the province is only supposed to collect the GST... not the PST....
If you pay the PST then you are getting screwed because you will have to pay PST again in the other province you are registering... Ministry dosnt care if you already paid PST elsewhere... they will want their PST too...
That's only true if the dealer is shipping the vehicle. I'm a dealer and if I sell a vehicle to another province I'm still supposed to charge the Manitoba provincial tax if the vehicle is picked up in Manitoba. If the vehicle is shipped to another province by a common carrier, I don't have to charge provincial tax. If I am shipping to a HST province I collect the HST at the rate of the province that it is getting shipped to.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:10 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robertgalka
That's only true if the dealer is shipping the vehicle. I'm a dealer and if I sell a vehicle to another province I'm still supposed to charge the Manitoba provincial tax if the vehicle is picked up in Manitoba. If the vehicle is shipped to another province by a common carrier, I don't have to charge provincial tax. If I am shipping to a HST province I collect the HST at the rate of the province that it is getting shipped to.
Same thing in floirda.
If car is sold outside of state, no tax is collected but the car has to leave on a carrier.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Skid
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

As an out of province resident, you can apply for a refund.
So if Albertan buys a car from Ontario, do they a) pay dealer the HST then apply and receive a refund for it entirely however will need to pay GST when doing a first time registration Alberta or b) are stuck paying full HST unless they arrange for the dealer to effect transport to Alberta, c) .. what?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:56 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Regarding insurance...

if you already have another car insured, then you are probably covered on any new car that you buy for something like 14 days from the date you sign it into your name. The insurance company doesnt tell you that, but if you ask them they will likely confirm. They would rather start getting your money for the new car immediately, so they keep it quiet.

When you go to register the car, you just need to provide your current policy number.

I always inform the insurance company anyway, as soon as I buy the car, just to be on the safe side. But apparently you don't have to.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:41 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by halo777
Regarding insurance...

if you already have another car insured, then you are probably covered on any new car that you buy for something like 14 days from the date you sign it into your name. The insurance company doesnt tell you that, but if you ask them they will likely confirm. They would rather start getting your money for the new car immediately, so they keep it quiet.

When you go to register the car, you just need to provide your current policy number.

I always inform the insurance company anyway, as soon as I buy the car, just to be on the safe side. But apparently you don't have to.
wow that is useful info. thx
Old 02-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Donster
Pro

Regarding insurance...

Better check with the insurance company. I brought a Porsche to BC from Alberta last year. I had to get a temporary registration permit in Alberta that allowed me to drive it from Calgary to my home and then to an inspection facility. I also had to purchase a separate, temporary insurance policy from ICBC to cover the car until it was registered and fully insured in BC. It didn't cost much, but the Porsche was NOT covered by the existing policy on my other car.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:46 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 285 Likes on 196 Posts

Regarding insurance...

^^^ This is a fact.

I bought a used car on a Friday and didn't call my insurance company. Saturday my wife goes for a ride and guess what!!!?

When I called the insurance company on Monday they told me I was f###ed because I didn't call. I laughed at them and said have your supervisor or whoever call me.

They honoured the claim.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:31 PM
Donster
Pro

Originally Posted by 911 Rod

^^^ This is a fact.

I bought a used car on a Friday and didn't call my insurance company. Saturday my wife goes for a ride and guess what!!!?

When I called the insurance company on Monday they told me I was f###ed because I didn't call. I laughed at them and said have your supervisor or whoever call me.

They honoured the claim.
Was your newly bought used car an unregistered out of province car?
Old 02-27-2015, 11:58 AM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Donster
Ansonintoronto's post is incorrect, as not all provinces have HST and taxation rates are different for various province. British Columbia repealed HST a couple of years ago, and Alberta doesn't have sales tax at all, only GST.
You have asked about Ontario to BC. Unfortunately, BC will hit you for 12% PST (yes it's 12% on importing a car from another province) when you go to register the car with ICBC.
Any PST you pay in Ontario should be refunded once you file the appropriate paperwork.
This is not quite correct. When buying a used car in BC you are required to pay 5% GST. Not sure how the Feds get/enforce the GST part but it may be when doing the transfer ??? BC Sales tax starts at 7% but goes up and then at $50k plus the PST is 10%. I think it's 8% between 30K and 50K but not sure
Old 02-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Donster
Pro

We are discussing Importing a car from another province.
PST on cars imported to BC from other provinces is 12% of value, effective March 2013.
This applies if the car is purchased in a private sale from a non-GST registrant.
Rules are different when buying a new or used car in-province.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:35 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Recently purchased a car from a dealership in Ontario and had it shipped to Vancouver.

I got them to charge me GST at 5% and provide a GST/HST number on then bill of sale. Then I paid my PST at the AutoPlan agent when I registered the car. This was possible because I was not taking possession of the vehicle in Ontario.

ICBC told me that, had I paid full Ontario taxes, I could apply to get the none-applicable portion back from the federal government. But still would have had to pay PST in BC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: out of province sales taxation practices?