Notices

Cost of oil change at dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:01 PM
altslan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of oil change at dealership

Can someone give me the price range for a straight oil change at a dealership in Toronto? I am new to Porsche. I typically do an intermediate oil change in-between the scheduled ones for my other vehicles, and intend to do the same for the Porsche. It will be the first ever oil change on this vehicle. I am considering taking it to the dealer to do this, as I am still trying to find a Porsche specific indy mechanic to rely on. How much is this expected to cost? Just an oil change without the other inspections or service items.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Just call them and ask.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:24 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

$325ish @ DFC, IIRC
Old 01-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

what car do you have?
do you have any type of oil in mind (many have different opinions on this).
how much do you plan to drive your pcar? changing oil too often is not good as a result of the additives.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't realize changing your oil too frequently was a bad thing. I change my oil 2/year but only drive 5K/year. Is that bad? My oil changes are close to $400 at Pfaff. I can't remember the exact amount. I like using the dealer while under warranty because there are various re-calls and programs that they check for at the same time.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:39 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I didn't realize changing your oil too frequently was a bad thing. I change my oil 2/year but only drive 5K/year. Is that bad? My oil changes are close to $400 at Pfaff. I can't remember the exact amount. I like using the dealer while under warranty because there are various re-calls and programs that they check for at the same time.
You're fine. Nothing damaging about changing your oil after each driving season.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:52 PM
altslan
AutoX

Thanks for input guys.

I have a Cayenne as daily driver. The "intermediate" oil change would be at 8,000k or so, I think that should be ok or beneficial in terms of frequency. If it's in the $300 range, I think I should work hard on finding a trusted indy. I feel it is too much for simply an oil change which really anybody can do. I was expecting a premium for dealer but not that much. I was trying to be cautious since it is the first oil change.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:54 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Different Location Pricing

Originally Posted by altslan
Can someone give me the price range for a straight oil change at a dealership in Toronto? .... Just an oil change without the other inspections or service items.
In the Tampa Bay area (Gulf Coast of Florida), we have at least two Porsche dealers, who offer PCA competitive oil service pricing. The service includes removing and replacing the engine oil and OEM filter, and performing a multi-point inspection. One dealer uses OEM oil, Mobil One synthetic, while the other uses Valvoline synthetic.

For Porsche sports cars only (excludes all Panameras and Cayenne models), the current advertised price of the dealer using Valvoline is $119.95 plus shop supplies (usually around $5) and sale taxes of 7%. Of course, if an owner wanted to specific an oil refiner/maker, and type/service weight of the oil, no doubt the price of an oil change would be more. Just a couple of locations, not in Canada, but perhaps when you and your Porsche start to winter down here, you can take advantage of these offers. ;-)

That being said, if you are a member of a Canadian PCA Region you should be able to get 10% off the normal Porsche Dealer pricing if you identify yourself as PCA, and show your membership card. If this is not the case, I am sure that some Canadian PCAers will chime in and correct this suggestion.

Last edited by Type 2; 01-05-2015 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Word errors
Old 01-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Different Location Pricing

Delete Duplicate

Last edited by Type 2; 01-05-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 01-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I also change mine twice per year, and average about 5k.
Never heard of engine trouble from frequent oil changes ?

Mythbusters ?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Same, didn't realize too often was bad...
Old 01-05-2015, 05:22 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Every 5k km regardless of how much time has passed.
No harm can ever come from fresh "blood".
And doing it myself is about $100 give or take depending on oil purchase price at the time.

My 4Runner has been done this way since '98 and I'm at 496k right now and never had a major motor issue. But then it is a Toyota after all.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

I've heard the claims too that if change it to often it is bad
Personaly I think it's bollocks
Old 01-05-2015, 05:43 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

PCA discount applies. the Cayenne can be a pain as you have to remove the belly pans and drain the filter first (which is in a difficult location).
Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Changing your oil too much is harmful is flat out BS. Yeah, if I changed it every day where for a split second there may be low pressure from the pick up and multiply this 365 x 10 years then perhaps. You'd need a lot of oil drain plugs as the threads are softer then the threaded boss in the pan! (wear item)

The main benefit of frequent oil changes is removing combustion by products lodged within the oil and an opportunity to inspect the filter for debris. Oil change schedules vary depending on your *type* of mileage and the distance traveled.

Daily drivers that crack up 30K plus per year which for new Porsche's *tend* to be the SUV's and Panamera's - twice a year would seem reasonable and by the book. Porsche recommend 15k oil changes (still seems high to me) and or once a year - so 8K or twice a year does not sound unreasonable to me.

I drive my 996 around 5-6k a year and do two oil changes - spring and fall - mainly as I cut open the filter to inspect it because I'm a paranoid 996 owner!

Quick Reply: Cost of oil change at dealership