Notices

want members opinions/comments

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 12:14 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

My wife has access to any of the cars anytime she wants. There is no "this is mine and this is yours" with us. Maybe I'm old fashion, but I view my marriage as a partnership between equals.
Having said that, she has chosen not to drive the Porsche since day one. But if one day she grabs the keys and decides to go for a drive, I won't have a problem with it.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:14 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cash-man
Letting your wife buy what she wants, and buying her something when you want to buy something is entirely different, no? The latter seems a little bit like wife-training/pavlov's dog.
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
It's all in ones perception. I like to think most guys in here give our wives credit for being smarter than the above analogy suggests, personally I see..... win-win!
I was comparing Turbodan/Fcar guy's methods of rewarding his spouse with a treat when he feels like buying something for himself. I was not drawing a comparison to his spouse or her intellect, just his methods.

My wife does as she chooses. To each their own.

Last edited by cash-man; 12-31-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:46 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pongobaz
My wife has access to any of the cars anytime she wants. There is no "this is mine and this is yours" with us. Maybe I'm old fashion, but I view my marriage as a partnership between equals.
Having said that, she has chosen not to drive the Porsche since day one. But if one day she grabs the keys and decides to go for a drive, I won't have a problem with it.
Im inline with this here and cash-man.

having a father daughter type relationship with your spouse never seemed like a good idea to me.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:04 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Its just boys talking when wife's not around, I am sure.
I actually begged her into driving it once. Since she does not drive standard, I pulled over on the 400 North at the top of the down hill, explained what clutch does, let the car roll, then 3rd and then 6th gear. She loved it. She said something about feeling the kind of control that she never felt driving a car before (even though she has her Cayenne S). However when we got off the highway and stopped at the light, she couldn't get it moving again. She refuses to try again.
I learned a neat rick MANY years ago on how to teach someone how to drive stick. Works EVERY time. Less than 2 hours and they will be driving on the street. Gotta be there with them when they stall the first time in an intersection, though.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

When I have extra 50k+ for a car I discuss it with my wife and she also gets to get somethng a little extravagant. I am not talking about limiting her spending. She buys what she wants but we discuss it before either of us make a 5 or 6 figure purchase. If I am buying another toy she gets something as well. We both enjoy the disposable income. Our marriage is definitely a partnership. Nothing like pavlovs. I think a lot of guys go out and buy a Porsche and get nothing for the wife. We are a team and discuss and support our lifestyles. Happy new year.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:22 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Lol... Great topic and some great posts.

My wife is "car tone deaf" and could not care less about my cars. Absolutely has no interest in driving one... Simple as that.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:41 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife likes driving a manual more than an auto. She's probably more adamant about it than I am. I bought myself the 911 (my dream car) five years ago, when we had some extra cash. Two years ago, we came into some cash again, and I surprised her with a 1997 BMW Z3 (her dream car) for Christmas. She drives the Porsche at times as well. The only time I told her I didn't want her driving it was while breaking in the new motor. She was a tad grumpy, but understood the reasoning. Since then she has had it out a couple of times. Fair is fair. When I was doing the engine, she let me take her Z3 to Hershey. We are planning to take the 911 to Rennsport Reunion V next fall, which will be a 4 day drive for us. What fun is it to have something cool, if you can't share it with the one you love? She (and my two girls) are by far the most important things in my life. If she breaks the car, we will get it fixed.
At the risk of getting flamed...... it's only a car!!!

Quick Reply: want members opinions/comments