Notices

IMPARK parking ticket

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 01:36 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got a private parking lot ticket... My fault, I was in a rush and stupidly forgot to pay! TO my surprise, it was only $10. For that amount, I decided to pay it for a couple of reasons: 1) I like the idea that you pay for parking, so a spot does not get abused, and is available when you may need one. 2) I don't like the thought of having my car towed in the future if I get too many of these tickets. 3) For $10, I think it is fair considering I used THIER property on agreement that I would pay. If provided a service and somebody said: "Screw you! I am not paying", I would be pretty angry of the principle... so, I paid it...
Old 12-15-2014, 02:28 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
I recently got a private parking lot ticket... My fault, I was in a rush and stupidly forgot to pay! TO my surprise, it was only $10. For that amount, I decided to pay it for a couple of reasons: 1) I like the idea that you pay for parking, so a spot does not get abused, and is available when you may need one. 2) I don't like the thought of having my car towed in the future if I get too many of these tickets. 3) For $10, I think it is fair considering I used THIER property on agreement that I would pay. If provided a service and somebody said: "Screw you! I am not paying", I would be pretty angry of the principle... so, I paid it...
This seems the most reasonable way. Or leave a number on the ticket that you call and pay for the extra time.

Fvck the others for trying to be like the government!
Old 12-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

so the story is my wife coaches my daughter's hockey team and the practise was at Maple leafs gardens on Saturday. she paid the amount which she estimated it would take and then some and then some but the Canadian Juniors played there Saturday so they delayed the practice by 45 mins to change the advertisements on the boards and she ended up being 20 mins late. I asked her if she realized she was late and if she thought about asking one of the parents to go and pay for more parking and she said no.
regarding the morality; It is part of their business to have overages which they make up with the tickets. Shoplifting is also part of a business costs, but that does not make it right. because the city has exorbinant fines for parking they feel they also can be unreasonable ($70 for 20 minutes late with a $40 quick pay option).
I think they are abusing this and should actually lower the fine to something reasonable. I have not decided if we are going to pay yet but do find the analysis interesting. My wife tried calling numerous times to day and cannot get through but they do give the option to pay over the phone. I may write an email to them if I can find an address.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:21 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
so the story is my wife coaches my daughter's hockey team and the practise was at Maple leafs gardens on Saturday. she paid the amount which she estimated it would take and then some and then some but the Canadian Juniors played there Saturday so they delayed the practice by 45 mins to change the advertisements on the boards and she ended up being 20 mins late. I asked her if she realized she was late and if she thought about asking one of the parents to go and pay for more parking and she said no.
regarding the morality; It is part of their business to have overages which they make up with the tickets. Shoplifting is also part of a business costs, but that does not make it right. because the city has exorbinant fines for parking they feel they also can be unreasonable ($70 for 20 minutes late with a $40 quick pay option).
I think they are abusing this and should actually lower the fine to something reasonable. I have not decided if we are going to pay yet but do find the analysis interesting. My wife tried calling numerous times to day and cannot get through but they do give the option to pay over the phone. I may write an email to them if I can find an address.
I understand your dilemma... I bet if the ticket was $20 you would just pay.

The problem is, the company cannot determine that you where actually 20 minutes late. You might actually occupy the spot the whole day. The revenue lost from a whole day offender vs a 20 minute offender is much different I agree. It would be great if you could reconcile.

For the record, I have thrown away the private ones that are too high... no re-course... yet.

It would be cool, if they had an app that associated your car and spot with a timer. You park, register the spot and car, then pay for a set time. If you don't come back at that time, the app pings you to extend blah blah blah... the app would probably be cheaper then the lost revenue in unpaid fines. Hmmm... I wish I was in the software business. Oh wait! I am! Somebody in my office start developing this now!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:52 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Bin there dun that. Call them and ask for consideration. Explain the delay was beyond your control and ask the ticket is nullified. If that doesn't work ask the name on the other end and ask for his her supervisor.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

City News had a story about this tonight. They interviewed someone from Metro Licensing. She said don't bother paying it, it's not a legal ticket.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:32 PM
blotto649
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
It would be cool, if they had an app that associated your car and spot with a timer. You park, register the spot and car, then pay for a set time. If you don't come back at that time, the app pings you to extend blah blah blah... the app would probably be cheaper then the lost revenue in unpaid fines. Hmmm... I wish I was in the software business. Oh wait! I am! Somebody in my office start developing this now!
This is essentially what they have in Montreal - each city spot on the street has a dedicated code number, and you pay for that spot - no ticket in the dash required, and you can pay for extra time using an app on your phone that notifies you when you're time's up. I wonder why they haven't figured that out for Toronto yet. Genius!!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:33 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

They have been doing this at hospitals... parking managment charge insane penalties and share none with the parking lot owner which in this case is the hospital.... kinda lame... parking management keeps the full fine as profit.

I always keep my meter stocked. If I ever get a ticket I pay it naturally. But if they charge too much I would have to question it.... but alas, what will they offer you??

That being said, when using my out out of province plates I tend to collect a few parking tickets with the local muni and impark and never once have they traced back to me as I am out of province.

Munis can collect fines on local license plates when it comes time to renew the stickers etc.. I get that, but I am not sure how impark collect on tickets?
If they issue you a ticket and publish your plate number on the ticket (thus loaded into their database), will the next ticketing officer who issues a ticket have access to that database with his handheld devise?? I doubt it.....

How they legally trace the ticket to the owner of the license plate is also beyond me...

All very odd....

The last time I came across a meter that ate my toonie i wanted to crack it in half with a sledgehammer...
Old 12-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Scotty2H
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's funny, I never would have questioned it.

You've probably spent $40 in time, energy and stress trying to get out of it.

Roll on.

TCS, your avatar is adorable. Start them young!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:53 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just pay it.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a long thread in Redflagdeals.com on parking tickets, basically it boils down to scare tactics from the Impark type outfit, too much effort/cost to go after everybody who doesn't pay, it's not worth their time for the cost involved.

What you do is up to your level of risk averseness.

(Says he who just got a $40 ticket last night downtown off Yonge St because I didn't notice a sign indicating no parking where I parked, I even bought ticket etc. and was only parked for 30 minutes, but the parking cop got me at 15 minutes in. I'm paying this one since it's from Metro Police)
Old 12-17-2014, 11:02 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_North
Just pay it.
Pretty much correct.
You could call them and try to get the fine reduced if you pay asap...
If not, write the cheque and wipe you *** with it before you mail it...
Old 12-17-2014, 11:05 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Pretty much correct.
You could call them and try to get the fine reduced if you pay asap...
If not, write the cheque and wipe you *** with it before you mail it...
Now there an idea, germ/bio warfare against corrupt parking fine company!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_North
Just pay it.
why do you own impark? or you just like spending my money?
I think this is an amusing thread and it is clear that they are asking an exorbitant amount.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:49 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

i think if you told them i will pay X take it or leave it , they would take it and it would be a reasonable compromise. Your wife has to take ownership of the fact she didnt do what she was supposed to do regardless of the excuses, and Impark can not gouge people as part of their business model.

Quick Reply: IMPARK parking ticket