Time for an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:13 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Time for an oil change

Beautiful, bright Fall day!
Visited Auto Select, Newmarket this afternoon.
While waiting for an oil change, started messing with my phone and a solarizing filter...far out, Man!
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2014, 11:13 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks like when I tried E-6 slide processing years ago, we thought we got the temperature and mixture right on, but clearly we did not, everything came out with a green tint.

So we went back to Japan Camera downtown which had One-Hour service on E-6 processing at the time.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

dude pass over the spliff !!!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:40 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ wtf is in your splifs?
Old 10-24-2014, 05:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

lol
Old 10-25-2014, 12:10 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Woh dude! Didn't put enough mileage on to change the oil this year but can you come with me next year?
Old 10-25-2014, 12:11 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
That looks like when I tried E-6 slide processing years ago, we thought we got the temperature and mixture right on, but clearly we did not, everything came out with a green tint.

So we went back to Japan Camera downtown which had One-Hour service on E-6 processing at the time.
Back in the day when you used to get your hands dirty I used to us the old E4 process infrared film. You had to carry a set of gels with you where ever you went or use it unfiltered as well. A bit contrasty but great stuff. Now its a tap on a screen and click... (sigh) Somewhere Adams is saying f**k off kid - I used to have to pack a wooden box with glass slides I had to hand coat on a mountain top with carcinogenic fumes from a burning lamp in a light tent, take a 5 minute exposure and get everything home without breakage. Its all relative I guess.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:17 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=aviography;11748938]That looks like when I tried E-6 slide processing years ago, we thought we got the temperature and mixture right on, but clearly we did not, everything came out with a green tint.

No kidding! We used to "mess with" the processing of all kinds of colour film and colour slide film...with sometimes "interesting" results.

Originally Posted by theiceman
dude pass over the spliff !!!
LOL!

Originally Posted by breakfast
^^ wtf is in your splifs?
LOL again!

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Woh dude! Didn't put enough mileage on to change the oil this year but can you come with me next year?
I tend to change the oil yearly, regardless of mileage...just old school, I know. And sure, I'm in.

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Back in the day when you used to get your hands dirty I used to us the old E4 process infrared film. You had to carry a set of gels with you where ever you went or use it unfiltered as well. A bit contrasty but great stuff. Now its a tap on a screen and click... (sigh) Somewhere Adams is saying f**k off kid - I used to have to pack a wooden box with glass slides I had to hand coat on a mountain top with carcinogenic fumes from a burning lamp in a light tent, take a 5 minute exposure and get everything home without breakage. Its all relative I guess.
I got to believe that 'ol Ansel is up there, shaking his head and smiling, absolutely loving this whole digital photography thing!

The only part of film processing I miss, is working with B&W darkroom exposures (experimenting with different papers, dodging & burning and the like). Ok, I don't miss it that much!
Old 10-25-2014, 03:13 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

I talked to 2 Exxon oil engineers and some local indies. They all said we are wasting our money changing oil yearly unless we're putting on way more mileage. The new synthetics are so good and most of our engines so clean burning that we are tossing perfectly good oil - enviro ***** take note! One engineer told me that M1 takes 1500 miles to break in so we are actually doing our cars harm changing it too frequently. One of my biggest disappointments in life was realizing most conventional wisdom is, at best, questionable....so I did.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

^ hey, hey I got mortgage and car payments to make so please keep buying that liquid gold Ronnie is correct engine oil especially synthetic is almost never used to its full mileage potential. I would hazard a guess that most here use around 40% of its useful life mileage wise.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:41 PM
aviography
Drifting

^ The phrase "cheap insurance" comes to mind, and it makes me sleep better with fresh oil in the engine when the car is put away for the winter, plus it makes your banker happier too.

On that note, tomorrow may be the last day this year for me, as I'm not sure I will have the opportunity to drive the 996 much more this year with a family member now in hospital requiring 24/7 coverage by at least one of our family.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:45 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I talked to 2 Exxon oil engineers and some local indies. They all said we are wasting our money changing oil yearly unless we're putting on way more mileage. The new synthetics are so good and most of our engines so clean burning that we are tossing perfectly good oil - enviro ***** take note! One engineer told me that M1 takes 1500 miles to break in so we are actually doing our cars harm changing it too frequently. One of my biggest disappointments in life was realizing most conventional wisdom is, at best, questionable....so I did.
I sure like to read that in an official Mobil/Exxon publication, most of us would probably expect the oil we use to be at its "prime" when poured out of the container and into our engines, rather than 1,500 miles later.

One has to wonder how an oil "breaks in", and if there are any negative effect during the break-in?

(Yes I know I probably just opened up a can of worms. )
Old 10-26-2014, 07:44 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Sorry to hear about the family health issues. Best wishes there. Regarding oil, just phone Exxon USA and get a Mobil 1 engineer. You can chat to your heart's delight until you get that warm and fuzzy feeling......and save money.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:59 AM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
One has to wonder how an oil "breaks in", and if there are any negative effect during the break-in?
From what I recall hearing at a seminar, the cleaning additives are abrasive, and take a while to break down (best analogy I can think of new vs. used sandpaper). So changing oil to often results in excessive wear in the motor.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Pure acid

Quick Reply: Time for an oil change