Notices

Speeding Ticket in NY... Anybody been through this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Speeding Ticket in NY... Anybody been through this?

Boxing day on the drive home from lake placid I got pulled over by a state trooper for speeding.... 72mph in a 55. Apparently the fine isn't determined roadside like it is here, and I have to mail in my form to find out what it is!?

Couple questions:

1) Is this just a straight fine, I pay it and move on.. or does it have Ontario reprecusions (demerits? insurance?)

2) I am not going to travel to NY just to fight this.... any advice?

PS: Look how fantastic the roads are!!
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2014, 02:19 PM
boxcarracer
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 40 Posts

Last time I got a similar fine in NY was around 5yrs ago. No demerit points or insurance repercussions in QC and the fine was around $300.
On second thought I remember the trooper telling me that he didn't mark me down as speeding but marked that I was stopped illegally for not putting my hazards when he pulled me over, to 'save' me money from an actual speeding fine.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 967 Likes on 465 Posts

It will go on your Ontario record. NY exports tickets to the MTO. No way around that.

Call and pay or hire a local lawyer to deal wit it on your behalf. If you have a clean abstract one ticket won't do anything, but if it's going to be your second or third ticket think carefully before you pay and accept guilt.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:58 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Depending on your insurance company a couple of speeding tickets a year are generally ignored with no impact on insurance premiums but certain states, like NY, will share information with Ontario (maybe not Quebec). It's like playing the lottery, it's a 50-50 chance.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:11 PM
IHATECLAIMS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the happen to me. I was informed it will show up on your record and therefore have impact on your insurance.

Found that he state only cares for the revenue portion and not the actual infraction. I hired a paralegal who turned my " speeding ticket" into a "parking ticket". He said they do this all the time.

I paid his fee as well as my parking ticket all through the comfort of my desk. There are a few that deal with this as many from Ontario deal with speeding tix.

Paralegal fee was around $300 and the parking fine is determined by judge and your driver abstract which he asked me to pull and send over.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:49 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IHATECLAIMS
Found that he state only cares for the revenue portion and not the actual infraction. I hired a paralegal who turned my " speeding ticket" into a "parking ticket". He said they do this all the time.
Says a lot of the NY State transportation system when they can turn a speeding offence into a parking offence
Old 01-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Fight the ticket. I use Thomas Ryan in Syracuse. Excellent guy. If convicted of speeding you will pick up the point here.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Thanks everyone... I will use someone in NY then to fight it (hopefully turn it into a parking ticket or something). I don't need another speeding ticket on my record... it was just starting to clean up!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

MKIV Jetta?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Here is the link for Tom Ryan who is just amazingly good. Have used him on a number of occasions and highly recommend him , You can use my name:

Tel:315-476-0781
http://www.syracusecourtlawyer.com/t...citations.html
Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

I have gotten numerous tickets in NY state. For some reason, NY state does not inform Ontario of your ticket until its either paid or contested. By doing either one, you acknowledge its existence. I just ignore the ticket and all the mail I get about it. I do not pay the tickets until they turn 3 years old. Then I just pay the ticket and because its over than 3 years from the date of the conviction, it does not ever show up on my drivers abstract. I have been doing this for two decades and it worked every time. One word of advice: you must avoid getting pulled over during the 3 year wait.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by Imo000
MKIV Jetta?
Yup! 2.0 gas, it's such a fast car... always getting me in trouble!

Originally Posted by Ronan
Here is the link for Tom Ryan who is just amazingly good. Have used him on a number of occasions and highly recommend him , You can use my name:

Tel:315-476-0781
http://www.syracusecourtlawyer.com/t...citations.html
Thank-you Ronan, I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
I have gotten numerous tickets in NY state. For some reason, NY state does not inform Ontario of your ticket until its either paid or contested. By doing either one, you acknowledge its existence. I just ignore the ticket and all the mail I get about it. I do not pay the tickets until they turn 3 years old. Then I just pay the ticket and because its over than 3 years from the date of the conviction, it does not ever show up on my drivers abstract. I have been doing this for two decades and it worked every time. One word of advice: you must avoid getting pulled over during the 3 year wait.
Hehe, I remember your story "I guess my equipment is better than yours". Not sure if I can avoid NY state for 3 years though.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:28 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Hehe, I remember your story "I guess my equipment is better than yours". Not sure if I can avoid NY state for 3 years though.
Yes, I still haven't paid that one.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:08 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Yeah points do transfer ... i got a ticket .. although Stans advice may be correct i just couldnt live with a ticket haning over me for three years and risk arrest if I am pulled over in NY after that .

I just payed it and moved on and the points showed. To do again i would call Ronan's lawyer.. especially with ins. companies flying above like vultures waiting to jack your rates.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

There was a time when I was in the US constantly and over a period of 18 months I got three (duly paid tickets in NY). I did not know (and they did not tell me) that this automatically suspended my drivers permit in NY state. The fourth ticket was a very big deal. The trooper charged me with a felony for the suspended permit.
My wife drove the car home ( this was around 1998). Hence the lawyer. He opened up all four tickets and all was well.

What I did NOT know was that, even though this had all been done and I was points-free once again in NY state, I had to re-apply for lifting the suspension, ($25) from the NY DMV. I found out because the border patrol guy said "I don't care, but do you know you have a suspended permit?)....Straight to DMV and had that lifted. Since then I have had only one or two tickets in NY, all referred to my trusty lawyer.

In my experience, I-90 is the heaviest patrolled thruway in the Nation. I once drove down to NYC and counted 22 patrols and traps. THey were the ones I spotted. After lots of experimenting 124 km/h will be safe in the 65mph zone. I have given up on Radar detectors.

The NY cops uses POP radar, (detectable) but they only put it on at the last second and only when they know they have a sure ticket. Laser detectors are useless..they work, but if you are in the beam you are done, and there is no spread to pick up at distance. The cops often sit on ramps high up and nail you from behind as you pass the ramp.

I no longer use radar/laser even though legal there, and if they see the unit you can be sure of no leniency.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket in NY... Anybody been through this?