Import car from US to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:47 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
Thanks,

Yea I'm not worried about the roll bar since it increases safety, and is permitted according to rules in Ontario. I just don't want to get questioned when it's going across the border.

As for the English/French airbag stickers, are they just needed after the car is brought into Canada? I'm guessing at the border they won't look for that?

Also, how are taxes paid at the border? Do I need checks on hand? Credit card? How does that work?

Thanks!
What's weird is that it states that airbags that require PERIODIC maintenance need French stickers. What is that? What airbags require maintenance?

http://www.riv.ca/ModificationAndIns...uirements.aspx
Old 05-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

I suggest you call both borders and get exactly what you need to have in hand. Getting bits and pieces of info from here will backfire on you. As for the rollbar inside a car, I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed by the HTA but I'm too lazy to look it up again. However I remember reading about it in the HTA. It is logical nit to have metal pipes in the area that occupants can hit during an accident. Truck rollbars are external and are not the same as rollbars in a car.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:26 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
Hey,

When you brought your car to the Canadian side, did they go out and inspect the modifications to the car? I have a rollbar installed, not sure if it will be problem. I'm assuming at Canadian Tire they take a look at DRL and other things like that? Does it need to be completely stock or do they just go over the paperwork and look at the VIN?

Thanks!
I had the car inspected at Pfaff to validate the CPO.
The guy at CTC came out with his little clipboard, checked for DRL's, and that the speedo was switched over to metric.
Didn't even loom for child seat anchors in the rear. Nothing bilingual was ever mentioned.
That was it. The wait, was longer than the inspection.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:12 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bilingual is only when there is maintenance, I have not seen cars requiring maintenance on airbags. There was no sticker required for my two previous imports.

As for taxes, you will pay at the border:
Price paid converted to CAD, minus exemption ($800 if you stay 48h in the states), plus 6.1% of that amount, plus $100 (AC tax), plus GST It can be paid by credit card, no problem, just make sure you have a high enough limit

You will also pay ~$200 for RIV fee (paid to the RIV website).
Old 05-14-2014, 01:03 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BeachBoy
Bilingual is only when there is maintenance, I have not seen cars requiring maintenance on airbags.
My 997.1 requires airbag maintenance every 4 years according to Porsche.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:37 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BeachBoy

As for taxes, you will pay at the border:
Price paid converted to CAD, minus exemption ($800 if you stay 48h in the states), plus 6.1% of that amount, plus $100 (AC tax), plus GST It can be paid by credit card, no problem, just make sure you have a high enough limit

You will also pay ~$200 for RIV fee (paid to the RIV website).
You'll pay the GST portion only of the sales taxes and then the PST when getting the plates at the local MTO.
This is because the Feds don't know which province is the ultimate destination of the car and each province is different.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:54 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

Originally Posted by wc11
You'll pay the GST portion only of the sales taxes and then the PST when getting the plates at the local MTO.
This is because the Feds don't know which province is the ultimate destination of the car and each province is different.
that's exactly what I wrote, the GST at the border :-)
Old 05-14-2014, 03:10 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
I suggest you call both borders and get exactly what you need to have in hand. Getting bits and pieces of info from here will backfire on you. As for the rollbar inside a car, I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed by the HTA but I'm too lazy to look it up again. However I remember reading about it in the HTA. It is logical nit to have metal pipes in the area that occupants can hit during an accident. Truck rollbars are external and are not the same as rollbars in a car.
I keep calling RIV for details, I find this forum is an amazing resource as well though.

I hear you, if the car had 4 seats, the rollbar would be a problem, but since it's only 2 seats and no child anchors/seatbelts are in the back, the rollbar plus six point harness are legal in Canada. So long as it doesn't block entry/exit from the vehicle, and you can't injure any part of your body against it during a collision it's legal. I read that up. There's a few rules to what's legal and what's not in terms of rollbars.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

How can you expect not to hit the rollbar in a collission if its inside the cockpit? Its far enough not to be reached by your hands?

RIV only has current info on what it involves them. Call the border where you are crossig or look up their website for current info.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Nooch
Racer

My 993TT crossed the border complete with DAS bolt-in roll-bar, nothing was said. But, you still make a point. For me , the added safety of the bar in case of roll-over more than makes up for any incidental contact in a minor fender-bender. It is inconvenient for trying to put something in the back seat though .
Old 05-15-2014, 02:33 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
How can you expect not to hit the rollbar in a collission if its inside the cockpit? Its far enough not to be reached by your hands?

RIV only has current info on what it involves them. Call the border where you are crossig or look up their website for current info.
It's behind you that's why. You should call the regulations department and tell them a seatbelt can choke the occupants during a collision, the airbag can kill, and the glass can shatter and make you go blind in an accident too while you're at it. I'm just telling you the written rules. Full roll cages and half roll cages are not allowed. Only rollbars in 2 seaters. The rules are strict.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

when you pay pst you will pay it on the gst as well as the price of the car.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:29 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Our jeep wrangler has roll bars, factory installed.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:06 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbodan
when you pay pst you will pay it on the gst as well as the price of the car.
not in Quebec, cannot say for Ontario.

In Quebec you have two scenario:
1- the car is valued more (in their system/book) than what you have paid: then you pay PST on the value minus the amount of GST paid at the border.
2- the car is not listed or you have paid more than the value: they take the car purchase price and substract the paid GST to calculate the PST.

You pay the PST on the 6.1% duty but not on the GST.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Astromo
Cruisin'

When I brought my car over the US agent came out to the car to check the VIN. On the Canadian side no one came out to check the car, a 1992, at all.

Quick Reply: Import car from US to Canada