Notices

Audi Parts advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:05 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
You can tell if you have a lazy or seized caliper. Buy one of those infred temp guns from Canadian Tire, after a drive you can "shoot" the left and then the right rotors and compare the tempratures. Do one axle at a time, starting at the rear or front doesn't matter. If you have a large temperatur difference between L & R you may have a lazy or seized caliper.

EDIT: Digital Temprature Gun on sale this week at CTC.

Rear rotors shouldn't get very hot.

If u're poor (like me,) you could just drive it around the block, and coast/lightly brake to come to a stop.

Put your hand near the rear rotor after you stop. Gauge how hot you think they are, or touch the wheel near the hub....

If not super hot, then :

Lick your finger, and quickly touch the rear rotor hat on each side. Your saliva *should* prevent you from getting burned.... You should be able to tell if the caliper is sticky if one is noticeably hotter than the other.....

Peter
Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

actually,.... if you have $20, Princess Auto has an infrared therometer on sale for $19.99 March 6-18th.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Phil, I have two older Audis ('86 Coupe GT and '90 90 Quattro 20V sedan). In Canada I did buy from Auto Parts Online Canada (I did buy once from Auto Parts Way and will not buy again, they delivered the wrong part, then did not want to take it back, then forgot to issue the refund, then issued a partial refund only, etc.). However they do not have that many parts at least not for my cars. Auto Camping used to sell to the public, I bought from them but they now only sell to garages. I bought from Blaufergnugen in the States (several times), very happy. I bought from AutohausAZ and from German Auto Parts/Adirondack Auto Brokers, very happy. I had a front caliper rebuilt by John Stuart Power Brakes in Stoney Creek, no issues. In the past I also bought parts from a parts supplier in Ottawa, excellent prices, if you are interested I can look through some old invoices and give you the phone number. Another thing I discovered very recently, wanted some exhaust parts for the 20V, none of the usual suspects carried them, Audi Canada had them but the prices were at least ridiculous. I had a friend buy them for me in Germany from Audi at close to one third of the price Audi Canada was selling them here. I have bought from Pelican but only for the 911. And of course all this works if you have several cars and can afford to wait for parts.

George
Old 03-15-2012, 12:33 AM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

George, I would appreciate if you could pm me the contact info if you happen to come across it. No need to go digging though I already had it taken care of at the stealership($900) it did not need a caliper. I also used to drive an older Audi 1994 100 CS Quattro ran like a charm even at 200k but ended up needing a gas tank so it was replaced with an 05 A6.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

PM just sent

George
Old 03-26-2012, 07:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Okay All here is my experience with Autopartsway.ca

19th order parts.
20th get a email from them stating label has been printed when parts get to the shipper i wil get an eta.
21st same message
22nd same mesage ... chat with customer service ,,, says a trace has been sent out by the warehouse . as it has been shipped . I say no it hasnt , just the label has been printed. a trace will yeild nothing as they never received the part .. they say they will send me an update by the end of the day
23rd still no update .. recontact their chat line guy and am told .. we will do a traace .. i tell them you told me that alreadt .. and you told me you would update me and you didnt .. how can they trace something you didnt ship .. they tell me they will send an update by email.
24th .,, Saturday .. someone on lime again .. sir we have sent out a trace ..blah blah blah

26th Monday I actually get someone on the phone. they say they will do a trace .. I tell them they are just provid ing lip service at this point and are not really interested in customer service. she says she will email me by the end of the day I ask her and tell me what ? that you are running a trace ? I tell her this is unaceptable. my car has been down for a week and I have nothing from them .. she then says she will call me . i tell her what do i do after the end of the day and she doesnt call .. ? what is the plan ? do i call my credit card company and cancel ? she says she will call me

6:00pm still hasnt called ( obviously she hasnt , she had no intention ) so i call back ..
get another guy says .. we are doing a trace .. i say I dont care .. he says could take a week . I say i could make a ton of money just priting labels and then never actually shipping anything.

do yourself a favor and stay as far away as you can from these clowns. If you have a reputable reseller then stick with it. i tried this to try and do business in canada . Never again . i am going back to autohausaz.com that have never let me down in over 10 years ... not even once.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Hey Clive, were you able to recoup your money? I still have not received the full refund for the wrong part they delivered and then refused to take back until I threatened to write about my experience on all the Audi and VW forums I can find. But it was not much and it was not worthwhile to spend one more minute chasing them.

George
Old 03-27-2012, 07:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Nope nothing .. ..

of course
Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
Rear rotors shouldn't get very hot.

If u're poor (like me,) you could just drive it around the block, and coast/lightly brake to come to a stop.

Put your hand near the rear rotor after you stop. Gauge how hot you think they are, or touch the wheel near the hub....

If not super hot, then :

Lick your finger, and quickly touch the rear rotor hat on each side. Your saliva *should* prevent you from getting burned.... You should be able to tell if the caliper is sticky if one is noticeably hotter than the other.....

Peter
K... I get it your finger is sensitive enought to tell you how close you get to the boiling point of the fluid too.

Quick Reply: Audi Parts advice?