Importing a US car to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Importing a US car to Canada

Gents,
I am looking at a 1999 996 c2 cabrio in the US.

I found this info on a website.

Does anyone know if I have to pay gas guzzler tax?

on the 6.1% tax, how do they determine the value of the car?

Here's the clip word for word from the website (no affiliation)....

Step-By-Step Guide to Importing a Car into Canada from the U.S.

If you’ve found the car you want to purchase that is located in U.S.A. you’re in luck! The current situation of the Canadian vs. U.S. dollars means you may be
saving big bucks on your vehicle purchase.

Importing a car, truck, van, motorcycle and most other vehicles into Canada from the U.S.A. is a fairly straightforward process. There are no hidden catches as long as you do your homework first.

In this guide I will explain, step by step, the process of importing a vehicle into Canada from the USA, including some tips to make sure you don’t end up with a lemon, even if you are not able to see the vehicle in person before purchasing.

The process is basically the same for all vehicles including cars, vans, trucks, motorcycles, busses, RV’s etc. however some types of vehicles will require different modifications, and other types may not even be admissible at all.

Always check with RIV to make sure the vehicle is admissible at the VERY start of this to save your self a lot of grief and potentially a lot of money.
1. The first thing to do, if you haven’t already, is check the car against the Registrar of Imported Vehicles’ vehicle amissability list. This can be done by going to RIV.ca or by going directly to the PDF document. Find out if the vehicle will need any modifications in order to pass federal inspection requirements, and how much it will cost. Some manufacturers such as Merecedes Benz will require that any necessary modifications be done at the dealership - which may be costly. Call the vehicle’s dealership if you are concerned about this.

2. Check to see if your vehicle will be charged a high emissions excise tax. These could typically run from $1000 to $4000 on high emissions vehicles. Your vehicle can be searched at the Natural Resources Canada Website. Click here for a list of 2007 model high emissions vehicles and their corresponding excise tax.

3. Check the list of vehicles with safety recalls. You may also want to verify this with by going to a local dealership and providing them with the VIN number of the vehicle you wish to purchase and ask them to make sure it has no outstanding vehicle recalls.

4. Get an AutoCheck vehicle history report online and/or order an inspection from Carchex.com to be done on the vehicle to make sure there is nothing wrong with the vehicle that you aren’t expecting.

5. If all is good, arrange payment, vehicle pickup and/or shipping.

6. If you are having the vehicle shipped, you will need a customs broker to have all the paperwork taken care of for you. Some companies, likeA&A Customs Brokers, will take care of everything, including shipping

7. Get the seller to FedEx you the vehicle title, the bill of sale, sales receipts and recall clearance letter (if they are the vehicle’s manufacturer’ dealership, if not contact your nearest dealership and have them get you one for your vehicle.)

8. Fax in a copy of the vehicle title to the U.S. border crossing where you intend to cross. This needs to be done at least 72 hours in advance of when you plan to cross. Note that this does not include weekends. Give them a call to make sure everything is in order and they will be open at your time of crossing.

9. If you are picking up the vehicle yourself (as opposed to having it shipped), arrange for insurance on the vehicle, or get a vehicle trailer to tow the vehicle home.

10. Drive down to your destination and meet with the dealer or person selling the vehicle. Check to make sure the VIN on the bill of sale matches the one on the vehicle. Also make sure there is a North American coompliant sticker on the vehicle. This is usually located on the beam in the driver’s side door. If it a dealer ask them to show you.

11. If you are purchasing the car privately and will be driving it home, you will need to go get a temporary permit from the local motor vehicle office.

12. Drive to the US border crossing where you faxed your title to, and identify yourself with your passport and driver’s licence. They will check out your vehicle title, bill of sale, and the VIN number on the vehicle. All should be good and they will stamp your vehicle’s title to release it to Canada Customs.

13. Stop at Canadian customs, again identifying yourself with driver’s licence and passport. Tell them you are importing the vehicle and they will have you pull in and park to go fill out Vehicle Import Form 1 (they will provide this).

14. You will have to pay your RIV fee ($195+GST in all provinces, plus QST if you are importing into Quebec) GST (5%), possible Air Conditioning excise tax ($100CAD), possible high emissions excise tax, and possible duty (6.1%) if the vehicle was not build in North America (ie. Mexico for some American brand cars, and sometimes Germany for some VW’s). Make you you have your credit card with you for this as most Canadian Customs offices do not accept cash or cheque.

15. If all is good and once everything is paid up, they will verify your insurance coverage, stamp your Vehicle Import Form 1 and send you on your way. Keep this form in your vehicle along with your temporary American permit in case you get pulled over on the way home - these will be used to verify that you are legally compliant.

16. Within 10 days of submitting Vehicle Import Form 1 at the border, Canadian customs will send you Form 2 - federal inspection.

17. You have 45 days from the day you submitted to get any required modifications done to your vehicle (such as daytime running lights, child tether anchorages and metric speedometer conversions) and have your vehicle inspected at Canadian Tire.

18. When you take the car in to get inspected, bring all supporting documents with you such as the title, bill of sale, Import Forms 1 & 2, and the outstanding recall letter.

19. Canadian Tire will do all necessary inspections free of charge as per the RIV program.

20. If the vehicle passes they will put a sticker on the drivers side door frame stating that the vehicle is Canadian Safety compliant. They will fill out your Form 2 and provide you with the necessary paperwork you will need to register the vehicle in your province.

21. You can now take it right over to your provincial vehicle licencing office along with all the paperwork you’ve accumulated to get it registered, where you will pay whatever your provincial sales tax is on the sale price of the vehicle!
You’re done, you can now go enjoy your American / Canadian vehicle that hopefully will have saved you a nice chunk of money. If there is anything unclear about this guide, be sure to check out the Frequently Asked Questions, or ask a question in the forum. I would love to hear from anyone who this guide has helped, or if you have imported a vehicle yourself I’d like to hear your version of the process!

Good Luck, and enjoy your new vehicle!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:34 PM
flexbert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check with CBSA and US CBP

I have recent experience doing this, although with an older 911 (1986) so I was not required to follow the RIV program since my vehicle was more than 15 years old. You will have to meet RIV requirements. I would suggest you go to the source for info on this - check with Canada Border Services Agency, the Registry of Imported Vehicle and US Customs and Border Protection Services.

CBSA:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5048-eng.html.

Search for their 1-800 number and call them if you have any questions. I found them quite helpful.

RIV: Didn't apply to me so I cannot add much on this.

www.riv.ca

USCBP - I called the border crossing I was using (got that info either on the CBSA website or linked from the CBSA website) to confirm the specific requirements of that border crossing as some of the admin details vary from crossing to crossing (hours of operation, how you submit the info to them at least 72 hours in advance - email, fax, etc). Again, I found them helpful.

I'm on the way out the door (wife shaking her head that I'm on "that" forum again) so I'll cut it off here. If you have more questions, ask away and someone who has done this will most likely provide you with answers or at least their experience.

Cheers,
Lex
Old 12-03-2011, 06:08 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I imported a 996tt recently. I don't think I was charged guzzler tax but they determine the value based upon price you paid.

I would not try to sneak the car in undervalued. The CDN border guards really do everything they can to make you uncomfortable. They'll dig and dig and dig and they wont let you through until they're confident you're nOt lying.

Importing is really easy as long as you do your homework.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
I imported a 996tt recently. I don't think I was charged guzzler tax but they determine the value based upon price you paid.

I would not try to sneak the car in undervalued. The CDN border guards really do everything they can to make you uncomfortable. They'll dig and dig and dig and they wont let you through until they're confident you're nOt lying.

Importing is really easy as long as you do your homework.

Is there still duty on the car if the manufactured date of the vehicle is more than 15 years?
Old 12-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Is there still duty on the car if the manufactured date of the vehicle is more than 15 years?
EDIT Yes it does.

Just no RIV process.

Sorry about that guys. Brain fart.

Last edited by Crazy Canuck; 12-03-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
I see that Crazy Canuck said no. I just checked the paperwork on my 1986 951 that I brought in in 2007. I had to pay the duty on it. I hope that the rules have changed.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
I see that Crazy Canuck said no. I just checked the paperwork on my 1986 951 that I brought in in 2007. I had to pay the duty on it. I hope that the rules have changed.
Actually once I think about it a bit more Duty does still have to be paid. Just no RIV.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

No gas guzzler unless 2007 and later
Duty until it is 25 yrs old (my86 951 came in duty free)
6.1 on price you paid (border didn't question my price)
Ac tax
Hst
Enjoy
Are you driving it home? Did you do ppi? How's the ims?
Old 12-04-2011, 01:39 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got hassled about purchase price on my 2010 audi avant by canadian border services even though i had the bill of sale from the dealership. just depends on which ***** is working.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alex:

Make sure you are well documented on the car's value before you import it. Some of the border agents can be really tough.

I would bring copies of the following:

1. the ad that led you to the car
2. ads for comparable cars
3. correspondence between you and the seller
4. your bank draft or wire transfer
5. Kelly Blue Book print out for a comparable car.

When I did my import, at Coutts, which is a nasty place, I plopped two thick files on the counter, as the agent watched. There were no issues.

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the all the input fellows.

the comment about 'that' website cracks me up ! My bride (of 15 years) was giving me a little hassle so I switched to playboy.com ... slept on the couch that night i think.. haha.

i'll definitely get more details on the purchase ie comparables etc. that is great advice.

i will be driving it back from LA. Leaving next Sunday and looking forward to the 40+ hr drive

does anyone have experience with radar detectors? my plans are to go thru arizona, new mex, texas, and start heading north thru oklahoma, missouri, ohio, pennsylvania then ny crossing at lewiston

Which states allow you to use them? i have an old school beltronics plug in detector that i suspect can be detected. I don't plan to speed but will like to know where smokey is at if you know what i mean...

where is coutts? somewhere near Alberta border? i'll be sure to avoid that crossing. i suspect they're all the same.

ims - never been dealt with. looking for leaks and other tell tale signs. ppi being done at a dealer in LA.
996 serviced by same very reputable and recognized mechanic by PCA.

LN eng rms, ims update will probably be my first expense... budget $1500 ?

new water pump and air flow sensor are the only two things repaired / replaced in the last 5 years otherwise just oil and filter

will keep you posted on the PPI on Tuesday morning.

Car Fax checks out. Chicago car for five years, then LA car for last seven and half. I don't expect any rust! Unless salt in the air counts !

Bio Banker, how's the 996 TT running?
Saw a couple of very tempting ones including one with EVO 600 hp / 600 tq ... or should I say EVIL....
Old 12-11-2011, 12:39 PM
bruinfn4lf
4th Gear

Default imorting from US to Canada

"11. If you are purchasing the car privately and will be driving it home, you will need to go get a temporary permit from the local motor vehicle office."

In the above step is the temporary permit from the US side or from Canada. If from the US side do you also need a temporary permit for Canada -Ontario specifically?
Old 12-11-2011, 01:11 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bruinfn4lf
"11. If you are purchasing the car privately and will be driving it home, you will need to go get a temporary permit from the local motor vehicle office."

In the above step is the temporary permit from the US side or from Canada. If from the US side do you also need a temporary permit for Canada -Ontario specifically?
If you are going to drive it (legally) in the US you are going to need a temp permit from there ... You can't get an Ontario permit for car that is in the states ... another option on a private sale is to have the seller keep the registration / tags on the car until you drive it to where you are going - but that is a leap of faith for the seller. There are other risky approaches (like putting your Ontario tags on the car while driving in the US ...) that some have tried. I wouldn't recommend that though.

Careful about registering the car as some states charge "use tax" even on temp permit - eg. with a Calif. car you don't want to register it in that state ... Other states are better - in Connecticut they will give you temp tag without you having to pay tax.

Your US temp permit might last long enough in Ontario but keep in mind Service Ontario won't give you a temp (or permanent) registration until all the RIV process is done - so you may still need a trailer or use the US permit, etc. to get the car to/from the inspections, etc.

Or you can hire Christien (on Rennlist) to do the whole thing - no affiliation but he does imports as a professional service.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:20 PM
bruinfn4lf
4th Gear

Default us to canada

Dealer in Buffalo will supply a temp (30 day) US registration. I would be driving from Buffalo to my home in Ontario. Would the US registration allow me to drive in Ontario?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, as I have done this twice with two imports. Tag's good for 30 days !

Import tax is based on vehicles manufactured outside of the US ( not sure about older vechicles ) As far as I know if its originally made in Germany, you will pay import tax at the border.

Gas guzzler tax is for vehicles that dont meet the min requirements fuel consumption ( my 09 911s did not qualify ) thank goodness, but the higher more powerfull Porsche cars ?

Good luck at the border, they can be awkward. And as stated above, they have their own price /values to work from ( from which you pay taxes )

Quick Reply: Importing a US car to Canada