Notices

What a s**tty Summer. Another bad day at the track - Mosport now.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:34 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motorcycles are dangerous and no amount of rider baby sitting will prevent what happened.

Most of the organizations are well run or we would be hearing more often about such sad events.

Car guys get away with murder in comparison. The stories of yahoos going on the track without the required experience mostly end with someone destroying their car and not getting hurt. But bikes require much more respect.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Woah, 2 deaths in a month with the same group? Not to jump to conclusions, but if I were in charge of that group, the rest of the season would be cancelled while I consulted with 1. the rest of the group and 2. lawyers. I think I can hear the ambulance chasers coming now...

Never mind that, though. A terrible thing to happen, no matter what the reason. We all accept risk, but I think we all assume that's limited to vehicle damage. Death is another level altogether.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:48 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Very sad, RIP.

Originally Posted by Christien
Woah, 2 deaths in a month with the same group? Not to jump to conclusions, but if I were in charge of that group, the rest of the season would be cancelled while I consulted with 1. the rest of the group and 2. lawyers. I think I can hear the ambulance chasers coming now...

Never mind that, though. A terrible thing to happen, no matter what the reason. We all accept risk, but I think we all assume that's limited to vehicle damage. Death is another level altogether.
+1
Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

With bikes I'm actually amazed it doesn't happen more often.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Very sad. The margin for error on a bike is tiny. A minor tank slapper in a car can quickly turn fatal on a bike.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Wow, RIP.... condolences to the family and friends involved.

This is one more reason I chalked up to selling my bike. In a car you have 4 wheels, harnesses, airbags, etc.

The margin of error on track with a bike, especially on a treacherous track like Mosport is minuscule.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:57 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Since there's so much attention on bike trackdays, I'll share my limitted insight. I've tracked bikes maybe a dozen times in the past 10yrs, and once in the Porsche (last year). I have only been to various configurations of Shannonville and TMP. The car was at TMP.

Going around a track on a sportbike is a much different experience than in a car. The acceleration and braking on a bike, can't compare to my '01 BoxsterS. With a rider, on a early 2000 600cc sportbike is probably looking at 8lbs/hp. My boxster, with my 190lb 'physique' gets about 12.5lb/hp.

Cornering on a bike is much more visceral than in a car. Leaning the bike over, balancing your body, is not something that isn't quite replicated in a car.

P
Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Very sad
Old 07-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Saturn
Racer

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Corner four.
Yeah after 3 you can pick up lots of speed. Turn 4 is a blind downhill turn. After the turn you can pick up really fast speeds as it is downhill. Some folks really slow down just before the Moss hairpin. It might have been a collision where the guy in front slowed too quickly after the downhill turn and a collision happened. This is only speculation without facts.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Christien

Unless the lawyers can prove very gross negligence they have no case. Waivers have been tested in court in Canada and did hold up.

Bikes are very dangerous. People who participate know that. That's part of the thrill.

Very sad for everyone that knew the rider. I lost my best friend in a (street) motorcycle accident a few years ago. Very dark time in my life.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Unless the lawyers can prove very gross negligence they have no case. Waivers have been tested in court in Canada and did hold up.
Absolutely right, but it will still cost you an easy 6 figures in legal fees to arrive at the same conclusion.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:58 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Very sad. A neighbour of mine - Carlos - lost his life motorcycling there 4 or 5 years ago. Left a wife and daughter. Really sad part is he did not ride on the road because he said it was too dangerous.....
Old 07-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturn
Yeah after 3 you can pick up lots of speed. Turn 4 is a blind downhill turn. After the turn you can pick up really fast speeds as it is downhill. Some folks really slow down just before the Moss hairpin. It might have been a collision where the guy in front slowed too quickly after the downhill turn and a collision happened. This is only speculation without facts.

I can't talk about it but it was a single bike incident.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Motorcycles are dangerous and no amount of rider baby sitting will prevent what happened.

Most of the organizations are well run or we would be hearing more often about such sad events.

Car guys get away with murder in comparison. The stories of yahoos going on the track without the required experience mostly end with someone destroying their car and not getting hurt. But bikes require much more respect.
+ 1. The scrutineering at track days is more rigorous than many of the events the Rennlisters run in in terms of vehicle prep.

Simple fact of the matter is that if you go down on a bike at Mosport, the lack of runoff room that might crumple a shiney 996 can be lethal when a rider goes down. No amount of prep or babysitting will ever change that.

R.I.P to the rider.

Having said that, I don't know why CTV ran that news clip....it wasn't put into context properly.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:42 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Agreed.

Quick Reply: What a s**tty Summer. Another bad day at the track - Mosport now.