Ipod/AUX integration in 06 997

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 05:56 PM
jwortley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod/AUX integration in 06 997

All,

Wondering if any of you have put a Ipod with AUX in capabilities in your 997's? I have a 06 and really want to have any ability to connect the ipod as well as my Sirius.

I put a DICE kit in my M3 but realize its a whole different situation with the P-car. Called Pfaff and they said to go Dennison but they had no idea if it had AUX in capabilities, they outsourced the work and wanted $850++.

Any suggestions for kits, installers and rough costs?

Cheers!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:59 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Does Becker make the head-unit for 997s? If so, call them - www.beckerautosound.com.

I just got an iPod wire from them for my 996.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Checkout the GW500 install instructions and user guide from dension.com - they show an AUX input - I can see the RCA inputs on mine but I've never tried using it
Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 AM
vipola
Racer

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Checkout the GW500 install instructions and user guide from dension.com - they show an AUX input - I can see the RCA inputs on mine but I've never tried using it
Exactly!.. I searched a bit too, with the 986 it was a simple 10$ cable that you plug behind the radio, in the 987 it's a whole different story.. The only Cheap approach is to use a FM Transmitter, the 'real thing' is a 500$+ expense..

The only thing that work well from my many hours of search is the Dension Gateway 500, but I didn't made the move, and stayed with CDs, at that price it's way less expensive to get a CD Changer off ebay..

You can find it here, but may require someone qualified to install it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dension-Gateway-...er_Accessories

Good luck.. let us know!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:16 AM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Eric from Bumperplugs (forum member) sells the Dension unit.
I had Kromer install mine
Old 08-11-2010, 03:35 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been on the fence with this myself.

I have the CDR23 non-text deck in my car....and Spending $350 for an iPod connection seems high for me.

I like the new Pioneer AVIC x920BT, and I know I can relocate the HVAC controls to the lower deck....but what I want to know is if I can keep my OEM speakers/amp and just tie in the Pioneer deck to those? Or is it going to be a clugged wiring mess?

I must admit I have no idea how the current system is tie-ed in to the current deck....it would be nice if it was simply RCA outputs...but I doubt it...

Anyone here done this themselves?
Old 08-11-2010, 05:48 PM
jwortley
Advanced

JasonKM, did you do bluetooth as well and would you mind telling me the cost of the unit and install so I can compare against the dealer?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

call up Autowerks...
Old 08-11-2010, 09:04 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonKM
Eric from Bumperplugs (forum member) sells the Dension unit.
I had Kromer install mine
+1 for Eric
www.bumperplugs.com
There is also a bluetooth unit but it's separate. Prices are listed. Just make sure you get them to ship USPS and NOT UPS.
They also have the B&M short shifter... but you already have that

It's a DIY if you're handy.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:03 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

I can attest to the install being pretty reasonable. There are a ton of posts on this site, Renntech.org, planet9, etc. Some get confused by the fiber optic stuff, but if you read and follow the install instructions carefully, its not so big a deal. The PCM needs to be coded for a CD changer as the Dension GW500 takes its place on the fiber ring and pretends to be the CD changer. You configure it and control it by selecting "CDs" and "Tracks". Once you wrap your head around it, its easy (at least with PCM ... without PCM (or a CDR with text), I suspect it would take a lot of memorization of what track / CD does what ...).

I have the Bluetooth module as well. It works fine with my iPhone. It does NOT work with my older Blackberry. So be careful about that if you want Bluetooth integration as well.

Price from Bumperplugs.com website is $549 for the GW500 & BTA 1500 (Bluetooth) combined.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:26 AM
vipola
Racer

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
I've been on the fence with this myself.

I have the CDR23 non-text deck in my car....and Spending $350 for an iPod connection seems high for me.

I like the new Pioneer AVIC x920BT, and I know I can relocate the HVAC controls to the lower deck....but what I want to know is if I can keep my OEM speakers/amp and just tie in the Pioneer deck to those? Or is it going to be a clugged wiring mess?

I must admit I have no idea how the current system is tie-ed in to the current deck....it would be nice if it was simply RCA outputs...but I doubt it...

Anyone here done this themselves?
With what I saw all over Internet, the CDR23, Amp, Etc, are all linked with Optic Fiber and it's a real mess to change one of the component.. recoding need to be done and all :/
Old 08-12-2010, 08:34 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought the unit from Eric when he was doing a group buy. I think it was $50 off his listed price. I did not add the blue tooth unit.
I think Kromer did the install for $150 or there about. In my case they added the extension so that I had the cable in the glovebox. If I were to do it over again I would forgo the extension cable and simply have the Ipod in the front as I never take the ipod out and it takes up room in the glovebox.

If you don't have the CD changer you will need to have the car coded for it. I think DFC charged me $34-40 to do this when I had my car serviced.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:05 PM
kevf
Intermediate

I have the Denison unit in my 06 997 with the bluetooth module. Bought the package in a group buy a couple of years ago and installed it myself. It's not hard, but takes a bit of figuring out and needs to tap the power from the cd changer power line.

Bt works randomly with the blackberry..beware.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:08 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default not loving the MOST system....

So the more I read up on this....if I want a new aftermarket deck...I have to change the whole Fing system? right?

Pioneer makes a great double din deck...with NAV/BT/AV et all....but I need new amp and speakers...that sucks. I like the sound output of my system. The amp and speaker are perfectly fine for me...I just want a new deck.

It would be nice if Dension made a unit that works in the opposite direction. Allow you to add a deck to a MOST system

Quick Reply: Ipod/AUX integration in 06 997