Notices

Canadian driving US registered and plated car in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Canadian driving US registered and plated car in Canada?

Asked this also on another forum and I'll ask you guys too.

Here's the scenario: Using your US address, you get a Fl. driver's license and buy, register and plate a car in Fl. In the spring, you get it across the border (most likely by having an American friend drive it across).

As a Canadian, can you drive the car in Canada? For how long? Any other comments?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:30 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically, you should have your car registered where you have your principal residence (where you spend over 6 months per year). If it were me, I would not have a problem using a FL address and Florida plated car in Canada. In case comebody asks, you can always pretend that you live in FL and visit Canada occasionally. The only drawback is you will not be able to insure the car through your Canadian insurer and you will have to have the car insured in the USA (which covers you as a "tourist" in Canada). This is what I did when I moved with my cars from the TX: my US insurance (Farmer's) did not have any problem covering me for as long as I wanted. I eventually registered the cars in Canada and switched to Canadian insurance because if asked I would not have been able to justify a US residency. The other "little" issue is in case of several accidents happening in Canada while your car is insured in the US, your US insurance company will probably ask you a few questions...
Old 01-21-2008, 01:36 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jamie....

I have a a client who does this.....6 months is the limit IIRC according to the CCRA in terms of defining you as either being a tourist or resident.......I don't know about insurance.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

Many thanks boys!

Keith, you ****, check pm!

Quick Reply: Canadian driving US registered and plated car in Canada?