Notices

Touchless Carwashes in the GTA

Old 02-02-2007, 02:02 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Touchless Carwashes in the GTA

I thought it might be a good idea to create a list of the best touchless carwash in the GTA. The following criterias should be met:
-Absolutely safe with nothing touching the finish of your car.
-Must remove heavy grime. (not the case with some of the Esso touchless)
-If it is a track system, it should accomodate the width of the widest rear tires.
-Tracks should be sheathed in a non-maring material to protect your wheels
-Undercarriage wash jets
+(anything else you guys can come up with)

The list:
1. Denny's Carwash: Mavis Rd. south of Central. 3 levels of service but you can add custom options. I took the basic 3 star exterior plus undercarriage and powerwash of the front rubber floormats. Total $15. A+
2. Dundas near Scarlet Road -DIY
3. Shell Mississauga/Oakville border on Dundas just east of the 403, on the north side (in the Home Depot / Cdn Tire area)

Last edited by pongobaz; 02-07-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:57 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for Denny's. The other carwash places I went to are not even worth mentionning...
Old 02-03-2007, 11:03 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

I did some research on touchless washes some time ago ( years ) and I cam to the conclusion that in order for touchless car washes to effectively clean your car they must use extremely strong detergents to get the car clean , in effect stripping off any wax or oher paint protection you have put on the car. May not make a difference with clear coats but thought this was worth mentioning. Many things may have cahnged since then however.

PS still fighting a brain virus so will not be at the GTG again this week. Nothing serious but I can not drive due to constant vertigo type symptoms.. see you guys soon.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:54 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta say that I love Denny's car wash ... great value ... and Dennis works hard to keep his Customer's happy...

There is a car wash in Burlington ... Just north of the QEW on Appleby Line ... Aquashine, or something like that, might give it a try the next time I'm visiting my Mom.

Mark
Old 02-05-2007, 11:22 AM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
I did some research on touchless washes some time ago ( years ) and I cam to the conclusion that in order for touchless car washes to effectively clean your car they must use extremely strong detergents to get the car clean , in effect stripping off any wax or oher paint protection you have put on the car. May not make a difference with clear coats but thought this was worth mentioning. Many things may have cahnged since then however.
I used a touchless carwash years ago when I had a guards red 944S. It completely stripped the wax from the car! I thought my red paint wasn't that bad, but it turned our orange-red after!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

I had a similar experience with My Audi, May be more of an issue with single stage paints.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:15 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard great things about Denny's. A number of the airport limos use him for their black Town Cars as well.

My wife takes her Volvo through a new touchless car wash near the Mississauga/Oakville border on Dundas just east of the 403, on the north side (in the Home Depot / Cdn Tire area) - its a Shell I believe. It does a good job of blasting the big hunks of crud off her car, but I don't take my CLK through it. I have it handwashed in my bldg downtown and use the do it yourself locations in between (p-car is still nicely tucked away in its warm blanket).
Old 02-07-2007, 02:17 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Not a big touchless carwash fan, but FWIW, I do have a favourite do-it-yourself:

It's on Dundas near Scarlet Road. Quite new. It has stuff like a pre-soak cycle that works pretty well, an undercarriage washer, and a final rinse that dries almost spot-free. Every bay also has air guns for blowing water out of crevasses and even - I can't believe this - a hand held blow dryer for the car. It's bit cold and messy, but I trust it more than an automatic car wash.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I used the touchless car wash a couple of times on my old Blazer 15 yrs. ago. From what I still remember the pressure was so high the roof would make buckling sounds like someone was throwing rocks on the roof. It also didn't clean very well.The same location (Sunoco @ Dufferin-Wilson) offers a soft cloth choice which is easier on the paint and body. I'm not sure if it can handle a vehicle that is low with wide tires.
Bathurst south of Wilson has a good DIY spray wash.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:02 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

A good D.I.Y is the one on the corner of Cathraw and the Queensway. It has all the stuff you need, pre-wash and spot free rinse. $8 for 20 min.
There is also a soft cloth car wash at the same location which I have taken the Cayenne into without any problems.

Another soft cloth I havn't had a problem with for the Cayenne is the Kingsway Car wash located on Bloor @ Royal york, though I'm not sure if I would put the 911 through it.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

or ... you could try this device. I ordered it today and should get it soon.

Foamer gun
Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

how do you clean the underbody in the winter if we dont' use the touchless car wash?
Old 01-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

self serve car wash/pressure washer
Old 01-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

I use the Shell in my new neighbourhood at Chingousey & Bovaid
prior to the when I lived near Square One, I used the ESSO @ Hurontario and Britannia
my car does not fit at Denny's coz I'm too low :P
Old 01-10-2017, 12:58 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't use the touchless due to the chemicals. I put a layer of sealant on the car in the fall and generally leave it alone. If you don't touch it then it doesn't get messed up and in the winter the car is usually dirty again within 24 hrs

I have read a few theories that is also not good to spray the underbody as well. The salt only reacts when its exposed to water and the air. If you leave it on and frozen then it can actually form a sort of protective layer. Trying to rinse it off can just accelerate any bolt rusting. And under the same theory as the body, it just gets recoated in salt in an hour anyways....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Touchless Carwashes in the GTA