Notices

Parts for Canadians

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 11:17 PM
randyrap
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts for Canadians

Does anyone know of a Porsche Parts supplier in the USA that is willing to help us Canadians with ''special'' invoices? I hate paying all the extra Customs Duty charges.

Thanks .................................... Randy
Old 03-11-2004, 12:17 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have them ship USPS. 5.00 Custom charges and GST on the product.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:21 AM
randyrap
Instructor

Hi Don.

I know the trick. Need to know what suppliers are willing to do this. Or, is there a good Canadian supplier most people use?

Thanks ................................. Randy
Old 03-11-2004, 12:42 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I now understand. Some vendors think it's a pain in the *** using USPS.

Paragon

I haven't used them yet, but I've heard quite a few good comments about them from some Canadian Rennlister's. I guess all you could do is ask.

My next order will be from them.

I have a friend in the US that comes up frequently, so I have alot of items shipped to her, she brings them across the border for me.

Old 03-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had excellent luck (read prices!) from a LOCAL Toronto company - Porschapart.

www.porschapart.com.

Ask for Frank, not ony can he get great prices on new stuff - he has 50+ cars worth of used parts and seems to know his stuff.

RK
Old 03-11-2004, 11:49 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Sunset imports is shipping me my stuff through USPS. The guys there are super helpfull and the prices are outstanding.

Justin
Old 03-11-2004, 07:44 PM
'86 944 turbo
Burning Brakes

Rally guy,
that company is such a ripoff. they want $2500 for a used tranny. and they want mine for 500
Old 03-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Isn't this great timing...I just picked up a parcel shipped from Florida( L-Jet controller) from the post office. Parcel was evaluated at 100 bucks and the post office charge was 24.99.........no deals there, not to mention the delivery charges even if you are not home????.......They are a rip off too
Bill
Old 03-12-2004, 09:53 AM
delhi
Racer

i think it depends on the shop. case in point i bought a set of shocks from this shop and it shipped via USPS. I was charged a heft sum. but when i bought set of springs from another shop, i didn't get charged as the shop put it as gifts.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Raynald
Track Day

hello ,i have bad experience with UPS !
i bought a pair of calipers used 100.00 plus 20.00 for shipping charge
UPS charge to me at my door 62.00 can. for the extra Customs Duty charges !!!
and for the second pair, i ask the seller to not used UPS and going with USPS and they charge me nothing!!!
stupid...
Raynald
Old 03-12-2004, 10:46 PM
randyrap
Instructor

I've found the best way to have items shipped from the US to Canada is using regular USPS (United States Postal Service) and have the shipper list the item with a very low ''Customs Value'' with NO invoice attached or list the item with a 0 value and say it is a waranty return item. I've received customs charges for ''gifts'' in the past. the only problem is that you cannot have the item insured for its true value.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:17 AM
adie
Pro

I use Frank at Porschapart, I also realise he is in buisness and is there to make money, I guess it would be great he could cut a deal that makes him loose money but thats not the way he works. He has helped me in getting the little parts for next to nothing, like the door straps that always break, the sunvisor clips and I owe him a phone call for some sunroof parts. I think he's prices are more than fair, i think it just upsets some people that he actually knows what the value of his parts are. I also love the storage area, it's like an alladins cave of all the bits you wished you owned.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of places will ship UPS if your order is large enough and you ask them to. It all depends on how much they want your business.

One of the differences between UPS and USPS is that UPS and the other private carriers have to use a customs broker. That slows things down and increases fees.

Sunset and Paragon are both good. Paragon has lots of items not listed on their web site.

Insurance isn't worth it imo, items rarely disappear these days.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Canadian Aaron
Track Day

Being from Windsor I just get the stuff shipped into Detroit and pick them up there... Customs never bothers me for car parts...
Old 03-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Adie - Porschaparts pricing (at least to me) has been very fair - and I'm no one special at all. And the convenience is great - drive up there and get it. Better than shipping and waiting. His prices on NEW Porsche parts have been awesome too.

Too bad you've had a bad experience - but maybe that's what the market will bear as a price for a tranny? If so - you can't fault the guy for asking fair market. If you can make a case that his price is way wrong - tell him - I'll bet he'd match the price.

RK

Quick Reply: Parts for Canadians