Notices

Looking for help on CDN pricing for a '96 993 C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 12:07 AM
Dave J
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for help on CDN pricing for a '96 993 C4S?

Hello:

I'm hoping there are some knowledgeable Canadians out there who can help me with trying to come up with a fair purchase price for a '96 C4S:

I've found the car in Vancouver, private sale but brokered so no GST. It'll be coming to Alberta, so no PST either:
- 68000 km
- records with only normal servicing showing up
- 6 sp
- good (almost new) S 03's
- CarFax comes clean
- CD/Hi-Fi
- Rear wiper
- manual seats
- cruise control
- two small nicks on back rims
- needs brake pads
- small paint chips have been filled in on hood and bumper, but otherwise good paint
- "Clean" but not "Extra-clean"
- sunroof
- Dark Teal with gray leather interior

Now: seller is motivated as he apparently has bought a 996TT and has too many toys. I haven't yet asked MCL to do a thorough inspection as I don't want to spend inspection money until we've come to some agreement on price. Adjusted at 70% for Canadian dollars, <edmunds.com> specs out at $55,714 CAN for private sale, and $62,857 CAN for dealer retail. Dealer's first price is $72,000 CAN, and he says that Canadian prices are higher in absolute terms than USD, and any 'book' prices on 993's or 996's don't apply.

This is odd, because when I sold my 928S, I was told exactly the opposite.

The car has been for sale for almost a year, and no one seems to want it; the color is something that you would completely fall for or walk away from retching. I happen to think it's pretty good looking, and if/when I buy it, this will be a 15 year car for me, so I'm not really worried about tough resale on a bad color.

So: Assuming that it checks out at MCL [authorized Vancouver Porsche dealer], what should ultimately be a fair selling price? In view of American prices, $72K CDN seems waaay too much.

Any advice would be much appreciated,
Dave J.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:25 AM
mducharme
Instructor

Hi Dave,
What do you consider normal service? In the sellers records I would search for the following: Timing belt replacement (expensive) , Plugs and wires, ( around 1200.00 just parts) ,brake pads (400.00 just parts), air conditioning service,
If the PPI checks out , and any of these things are not done you can, and probably will run into another 5000.00. With this in mind I would ask the seller to negotiate on what the car needs.
If you are getting the 993 for 72000.00 0ut the door its not out of line even with the questionable colour.
Negotiating the car down to say, 65000.00 is great. If it turns out it needs anything. Watch how fast you get back to the original 72000.00.
A though PPI is needed to give a proper price evaluation, but it will not show all aspects of what to look for.
When a mechanic looks at a car for me , I make him earn his money. Then again I know what to look for. Remember this is a car that has sat for a year. It will need service of some kind. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Mducharme 86 930 turbo
84 carrera cabrio (for sale)
Old 02-26-2004, 03:13 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Best deal I found recently for a 96 C4S in great shape was $60K. The clutch was going bad - and the PO had that replaced before sale and that bumped the price up a bit - but still under $65K. Can't recall milage - but it was reasonabe and the colour was "OMG gorgeous" to anyone with eyes. Even inlcuded a second set of rims WITH snows. Although the car had only seen one winter.

I did not proceed to PPI stage - but it drove perfectly and "appeared" to have no problems.

I think anythign around $65K is right.

RK
Old 02-26-2004, 11:17 PM
yongster
Racer

There is a 1997 C4S advertised in the Porsche club magazine (PCA-UCR) for $95,000.00. (33,000kms)

I'm selling mine in the Spring, but I haven't decided on the price yet.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:19 PM
asgar
Instructor

hello

I know this car and can help in pricing it, please call me
kind regards

Quick Reply: Looking for help on CDN pricing for a '96 993 C4S?