Notices

Targa New Zealand 2014

Old 02-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Isnt the Targa meant to be blind? i.e. you never know the course until just before the event? Thats how I understand it from previous outings. Not much point in practising something if in the real 5-6 day event you are given notice only 24hrs before (via the route book) and every corner is "blind"?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:46 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reply from TargaNZ about the route book and our wanting to do a dry run:

The route book has not yet been finalised as we are still waiting for council finalisation. Targa rallys are blind events and we do not give out the route book prior to the event.

We can send you an old route book for you to familiar yourself with?

Kind Regards
Rachel
Old 02-13-2014, 09:56 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Have TargaNZ asked for a copy of the old route book on Paul's advice so at least we can practice our co-ordination.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. Look at it this way. It wouldn't be half as fun if you knew the route LOL!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Have TargaNZ asked for a copy of the old route book on Paul's advice so at least we can practice our co-ordination.
Im not sure an old route book alone will be of much use without the instruction lesson they give you on how to read it. Heck, even my wife picked it up within a few minutes so Im sure Paul will manage fine and hes done a Targa so knows the drill. No need to stress, just rock up, take the tuition and easy into it by feel. Every driver is different and all this event will provide you is a very loose feel for whats to come. After a day or two with a driver you soon work out that half the hazards dont need calling, or that certain ones needs saying twice. Unlike the track the whole angle of these things is the element of surprise. Take is slow to start then build up pace with confidence. I doubt for a introductory event they will go too much faster than a typical Ron Sunday drive so I suspect you cant get into too much trouble. Enjoy it - its alot of fun...
Old 02-14-2014, 01:22 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Im not sure an old route book alone will be of much use without the instruction lesson they give you on how to read it. Heck, even my wife picked it up within a few minutes so Im sure Paul will manage fine and hes done a Targa so knows the drill. No need to stress, just rock up, take the tuition and easy into it by feel. Every driver is different and all this event will provide you is a very loose feel for whats to come. After a day or two with a driver you soon work out that half the hazards dont need calling, or that certain ones needs saying twice. Unlike the track the whole angle of these things is the element of surprise. Take is slow to start then build up pace with confidence. I doubt for a introductory event they will go too much faster than a typical Ron Sunday drive so I suspect you cant get into too much trouble. Enjoy it - its alot of fun...
Thanks Macca
Old 02-17-2014, 04:06 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Sounds good Doug. Road closure notices are up so I'm sure they know what's happening.

The official road recon is on the Sat evening after scrutineering.

Macca- yes, it is normally "blind" but for this event they allow recon. It's probably because the drivers will be giving a lot of promo rides to inexperienced people. Not sure about pace notes, won't be using them anyway.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Agreed. Chris just posted the closure notice and route looks short shouldn't think pace notes of any use once you have done reccee.

Make sure to get pictures!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:21 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Good little squirt in the car this morning. Getting close now, this is going to be a lot of fun!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Welcome back Chris!

Sean how is the red beast shaping up?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug, Chris etc. Assumes you fall in love with you wee taste of it fine below special offer for May event...

Join our group on the Targa Tour & save $300 + GST on your entry.
We have taken 10 places so be quick as that's all that is available.

Normal cost $2200 + GST
Playday Group $1900 + GST

The Targa Tour is one of those awesome, not to be missed, events that you should do at least once in your lifetime. Spend 3 days driving approx. 450km of closed back country roads starting in Auckland on Thursday Afternoon 15 May & finishing in Rotorua on Sunday 18 May.
We do all the stages the full Rally does so the days are fast & fun & the evenings are great social occasions.
Gary from Playday has done 10 Targa Rallys & Tony has done 2 Rallys & 5 Tours, we both speak from experience when we say its a great event. Tony will be part of the Playday Group so join him & the others for 3 days of spirited driving on some brilliant NZ country roads.
We had 6 people take up the offer for the Tour in October 2013 & everyone had a ball & most have said they will be doing this one.

To enter just go to the Targa NZ web site. www.targa.co.nz In your application information say you are part of the Playday Group so you qualify for the discounted price
Old 02-27-2014, 12:59 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug, Chris etc. Assumes you fall in love with you wee taste of it fine below special offer for May event...
I received that e-mail, certainly got my attention! I'm sure I will love this weekend, but its the final test that the car is the right car for the Tour (tippo) before I sign-up for the next event.

Last edited by ChrisB_NZ; 02-27-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:08 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I got that e-mail, certainly got my attention! I'm sure I will love this weekend, but its the final test that the car is the right car for the Tour (tippo) before I sign-up for the next event.
And before we work out whether I'm likely to throw up right!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:26 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by peterC2S
And before we work out whether I'm likely to throw up right!
None of that!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You are clearly not braking late enough and hard enough in the corners yet Chris.

Pete. Remember what I said about the motion sickness tablets in the morning. Even if you think you wont need them....

Have fun on the weekend guys. Targa Rotorua will be an awesome opportunity to get into the groove without being too long or tiring.

Search this Thread