Notices

Targa New Zealand 2014

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 02:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gents. If you are seriously considering the 6 day Targa Tour in Oct/Nov I would go straight for having a hardwired Trackit fitted. Its around 550 including install but may be discounted if you ask. Renting a unit is $100 already. The Trackit App was never reliable due to coverage and has now been discontinued from last years event (as I understand it) as an acceptable stand alone tracking device. I think it would struggle even more so in the SI.

The Trackit device can be hidden somewhere out of the way like my install (trunk top right hand side of picture and interior antennae top left hand side of picture cornmer of dash top below Rego holder) - - even the antennae isn't obtrusive...
Attached Images   
Old 01-25-2014, 02:54 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Gents. If you are seriously considering the 6 day Targa Tour in Oct/Nov I would go straight for having a hardwired Trackit fitted. Its around 550 including install but may be discounted if you ask. Renting a unit is $100 already. The Trackit App was never reliable due to coverage and has now been discontinued from last years event (as I understand it) as an acceptable stand alone tracking device. I think it would struggle even more so in the SI. The Trackit device can be hidden somewhere out of the way like my install (trunk top right hand side of picture and interior antennae top left hand side of picture cornmer of dash top below Rego holder) - - even the antennae isn't obtrusive...
Thanks Macca. That's quite a bit cheaper than Peter from targaNZ mentioned. I'm using this event to see if I'm keen on the full Targa Tour, so not ready to commit yet. Nicely installed in your car, of course. :-)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ok. I checked the invoice form 2012 and it was 635 installed with GST.

To do the properly Tour you will also need a Monit Rally computer as you will have a detailed set of pace notes bound in a book which use rally style distance points and your navigator will need to learn to read these and use the computer (easy). Im sure they will cover this off in the intro. The cost of that was 736 NZD but mines the hardwired one and they now do a GPS one which is a little less reliable but doesnt require hard wiring. I think its $850....once you have this gear you can use it again and again so it covers itself in the long run...
Old 01-25-2014, 01:41 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Gents. If you are seriously considering the 6 day Targa Tour in Oct/Nov I would go straight for having a hardwired Trackit fitted. Its around 550 including install but may be discounted if you ask. Renting a unit is $100 already. The Trackit App was never reliable due to coverage and has now been discontinued from last years event (as I understand it) as an acceptable stand alone tracking device. I think it would struggle even more so in the SI.

The Trackit device can be hidden somewhere out of the way like my install (trunk top right hand side of picture and interior antennae top left hand side of picture cornmer of dash top below Rego holder) - - even the antennae isn't obtrusive...
Long term that sounds like the way to go. I will rent at this stage as I need to confirm through this Tour that my car will work for these type of events, or whether I need a new Targa car. The issue for me is that mine is a tip, not a manual.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The 996 TT will be fine for Targa duty Chris. Will be a bit heavier on fuel and tyres on longer events especially but thats not big deal. The tipo will take some of the stress out of it too...
Old 01-28-2014, 04:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Cross post from the main NZ thread.

Got into a bit of mental planning for the Targa Tour today. Infact got a bit carried away and spent half the day on it reving my notes from 2012 event. Im figuring 12K for a car with driver + navigator for 10 days in SI, entry, tyres, accommodation, food, fuel and ferry. Entry fee is 1/3 that total. I figured Fuel from WTGN return with oil and wash fluids is $1300 in a 964/993 (7km litre average - 98 RON), accommodation and food for 2 being $3500 for 10 days. Ferry $375 return. Tyres $2000 and detailed pre Targa service inspection with replacement fluids and pads around $2K all up. Leaves $500 for The Auckland to WTGN leg for fuel/accommodation. There will around $1500 for initial entrants to fit Monit+Trackit+FE and after the last one Id budget similar post prep budget to pre including any cosmetic rectification. Overall things could swing $1500 cheaper depending how lucky you (your car) is....

I can hand on heart say that to this very day the 5 day Targa Tour NZ 2012 was the biggest accomplishment and achievement I've had my "car hobby" to date. It provided the biggest thrills Ive ever had in a car, I drove the closest Ive driven to "the edge" and I felt the biggest elation Ive ever felt for us to finish (in one piece) and the old girl (for keeping up with the younger metal and not letting the side down). I also learnt the most Ive ever learnt about driving my 993, about my own strengths and weakness as a driver and about working as a team. Ive never been as excited, exhausted, relieved nor proud as when I finished that event. Proud of the car too. And my wife!

To put this into perspective Ive driven the Ring (another boyhood fantasy), picked up a new GT3 from teh factory and travelled around Europe Targa staging some of Europes most scenic and challenging roads, and had numerous track and road adventures over 15 years in a variety if 911s Ive previously owned.

I know none of this fits in these discussion particularly well (and Ill replicate on the other thread for those doing the Targa Tour) but if you are in any question (other than fiscal) about your attendance then dont be and if you have fiscal concern then I suggest you start marketing a Kidney...NOW!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Just on a side note to the above I just wanted to confirm if it wasn't already clear that Ill be attending the 2014 SI TT.

Joanna has been given the leave pass she so valiantly deserves after being a "good patient" during our Europe escapades and Jamie Cootes (Kiwi Carguy) from this board joins me to share the driving duties during this adventure. Those who don't know Jamie well, should know that he's a much better driver than I with almost 10 years 993 experience under his belt. If you wonder why are going quicker than our little 3.6 should merit it will likely be due to his pedal craft not mine LOL!

Sean is also a confirmed participant in the main event.

Ron, Patsy, Richard Snow and Roger as well as the Mitchell's will naturally be there as they always are.

Hopefully we will see Chris & Pete along for the adventure and Doug & Paul as well.

2014 will be a vintage year for car guys!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:17 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Cross post from the main NZ thread.

Got into a bit of mental planning for the Targa Tour today. Infact got a bit carried away and spent half the day on it reving my notes from 2012 event. Im figuring 12K for a car with driver + navigator for 10 days in SI, entry, tyres, accommodation, food, fuel and ferry. Entry fee is 1/3 that total. I figured Fuel from WTGN return with oil and wash fluids is $1300 in a 964/993 (7km litre average - 98 RON), accommodation and food for 2 being $3500 for 10 days. Ferry $375 return. Tyres $2000 and detailed pre Targa service inspection with replacement fluids and pads around $2K all up. Leaves $500 for The Auckland to WTGN leg for fuel/accommodation. There will around $1500 for initial entrants to fit Monit+Trackit+FE and after the last one Id budget similar post prep budget to pre including any cosmetic rectification. Overall things could swing $1500 cheaper depending how lucky you (your car) is....

I can hand on heart say that to this very day the 5 day Targa Tour NZ 2012 was the biggest accomplishment and achievement I've had my "car hobby" to date. It provided the biggest thrills Ive ever had in a car, I drove the closest Ive driven to "the edge" and I felt the biggest elation Ive ever felt for us to finish (in one piece) and the old girl (for keeping up with the younger metal and not letting the side down). I also learnt the most Ive ever learnt about driving my 993, about my own strengths and weakness as a driver and about working as a team. Ive never been as excited, exhausted, relieved nor proud as when I finished that event. Proud of the car too. And my wife!

To put this into perspective Ive driven the Ring (another boyhood fantasy), picked up a new GT3 from teh factory and travelled around Europe Targa staging some of Europes most scenic and challenging roads, and had numerous track and road adventures over 15 years in a variety if 911s Ive previously owned.

I know none of this fits in these discussion particularly well (and Ill replicate on the other thread for those doing the Targa Tour) but if you are in any question (other than fiscal) about your attendance then dont be and if you have fiscal concern then I suggest you start marketing a Kidney...NOW!
I couldn't agree more. Even doing this in a 1973 911 was amazing. Without a doubt the best thing I've done, ok, I haven't done the Ring but I've raced and driven a lot of cars and karts all over the world and this is the real deal. The South Island will make it even more special.

Speaking of which, has anyone seem any comms around preferred accommodation? I'm guessing, in Targa style, most of this will happen in an event by event staging.

I'm going to need a service crew obviously as I'm competing and I may be open to sharing their services for people that want/ need it. Haven't spoken to Steve R about whether he wants to do it, if not, I will probably talk to Wayne out of Authority in CHCH.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sean. No word on accommodation yet. As you say it will come in a staggered fashion and then we will need to jump to it! It looks like 2 nights in Queenstown and two in Dunedin which will make it easier for the tourists as we wont have to card out belongings with us every day during the stages!

Im definitely keen on chipping in something to have my/our luggage ferried between the overnight stops and perhaps a spare set of tyres transported down. At this stage however its unclear who is committing to the tour and I dont think we will know for a couple more months....
Old 01-29-2014, 02:00 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Cool, Macca, I will take note.

Here's the South Island Schedule:

http://new.targa.co.nz/targa-south-i...2014-itinerary
Old 01-29-2014, 02:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Sean. Ive pasted it below to whet the appetite of the lucky few that will make this event.

I know already it will be the best thing I have ever done in a motor car!

“Event Description from out Intrepid Plotters”

After many years in the "must do" basket, TARGA is finally coming to the South Island as a celebration of 20 years of running the event every October.
With a lot of preparation, and through the kind help of many of the local car club members and regular South Island competitors, Peter and myself embarked on a 10 day odyssey, to find and plot the best and most iconic roads that the South had to offer.
We used a brand new Holden Colarado7 kindly supplied by the team at:

The Colarado7 was a dream to drive and work from.

What an event!!
It's fair to say that this Targa MUST BE on top of your list to compete in.
If not you WILL regret not participating forever.
The event starts in Christchurch with documentation and scrutineering at the famous Addington Raceway which thankfully is a venue that escaped major earthquake damage.
Christchurch is humming!! New suburbs are popping up where once were fields, the roads are clogged with trucks, vans and men in high visibility jacket, development is EVERWHERE. The 99% have picked themselves up from the quakes and are getting on with the job of rebuilding their lives. One can only admire their spirit.

Without naming the roads, here is a brief description of the itinerary that we have planned.

PROLOGUE DAY:
After documentation and scrutineering we head for the hills for two gnarly stages, exceptionally tight, with big drops but wonderful views of the city and Lyttelton Harbour. We end the day with a stage around the famous Mike Pero Motorsport Park (formally Ruapuna).
There are 4 race circuits in the South Island and we are going to race them all.
A great way to ease into the event.

Overnight in Christchurch.
Total Stage Distance of 47kms

DAY ONE:
The day will start with a journey south of Christchurch starting with stages near Pleasant Point. It becomes obvious straight away that the people down here don't stand for poorly built and maintained roads.
The predominant quality of build is smooth, flowing and well maintained.
No nasty gravel patches everywhere like the North. What an absolute joy to drive (yet alone to race on) !! This includes 4 laps of the Levels Raceway, the second of 4 circuits we drive along the way. There are 5 stages before lunch, taking in the Water Front of Timaru's lovely Caroline Bay. We then head south to Dunedin where the roads become narrower and more winding. The last stage of the day is downright bumpy, just to remind competitors of the North Island roads.

Overnight in Dunedin.
Total Stage Distance of 171kms

DAY TWO:
We head north of the city.
The first stage is right on the outskirts of Dunedin in the steep hills, before the trip north, to points such as Palmerston, Duntroon, Ngapara, and Windsor. The stages, like the previous day, are predominately smooth and flowing, however with a couple of tight, narrower and bumpy ones included.
Lunch is in Oamaru, adjacent to the historic quarter featuring some of NZ's most treasured Victorian Oamaru stone buildings.

Overnight in Dunedin.
Total Stage Distance of 139kms 

DAY THREE
We head west and south of the city.
The day starts with a 30km stage that contains one of the narrowest and steepest gorges of the event. This is then contrasted with open and flowing roads along productive but remote Otago farmland.
Back to the city for another "drive" this time along the top of the Otago Peninsular hills, narrow with huge drops, but pity our drivers won't have time to admire the harbour and ocean views !!
Then south again into remote and iconic areas such as Lawrence, Milton (for lunch), Balclutha, and the World Famous Catlins. This day has the longest stage of the event at 44kms. We end with a twilight stage of 4 laps around the world's Southernmost Race Circuit of Teratonga Park.

Overnight in Invercargill. Tim will no doubt be there to welcome you in. Total Stage Distance of 151km

DAY FOUR:

We head north today.The roads today are all smooth, flowing and just a delight to drive, traversing through such treasures as Lawrence, Clydevale, Moa Flat, Heriot, Tapanui and Waikoikoi. One stage not only has one of the steepest descents but has something like 20 intersections darting and diving in all directions. You will get to see along the way some of the most productive dairy, sheep and crop land in New Zealand. Lunch is at the A & P grounds in Gore. After the last road stage of the day we travel through Roxborough, Alexandra on our way to Cromwell, famous for not only its wines but now the World Class Highlands Motorsport Park.4 laps of the full circuit is only the start. There is the National Motorsport Museum, karting complex and mini golf. While this venue is our last circuit (we do it twice), seeing is believing!!

Overnight in Cromwell / Queenstown. Total Stage Distance of 183kms. 

DAY FIVE:

We start the day with another 4 laps of the full circuit, but today in the reverse direction from the previous afternoon. What an experience, Tony Quinn's ground-breaking circuit can be run in 17 configurations. You will not want to leave. But leave you must, because a further 5 stages await on probably the most ICONIC roads in the Central Otago area, if not New Zealand.
The last stage is a hillclimb up a certain ski field.
Let’s finish the event celebrating in the adventure capital, Queenstown night life is known to be the best and we will go out with a bang!

Finish is in Queenstown.
Total Stage Distance of 143kms (Total for the event 833km)

The event doesn't end here. A breakfast prize giving will involve a trip in a gondola, to possibly one of the best function venues in our country, with a spectacular view over Queenstown. A very special thanks must go to all the Southern Car Clubs, Council officials and Mayors, Tony Quinn, Grant Aitken and Blackwell's Holden who all went the extra mile to make us welcome and help wherever possible. Southern Hospitality at its best!!

Remember:
This Targa MUST BE on top of your list to compete in.
If not you WILL regret not participating forever. This is a once in a life time opportunity, tick it off your bucket list now!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

So, does anyone have any thoughts on location and meeting time for the recon on Feb 23rd?

I'd like to do it early, to get the least traffic, but not too early. What do people think of 7:30? At the Puke stadium?

Also, I haven't seen exactly which roads we are running- does anyone have that detail yet?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:50 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

For those that are interested in support on the day, Dan will be there helping me with set up. If you also want support, let me know and can arrange a chip in.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
So, does anyone have any thoughts on location and meeting time for the recon on Feb 23rd?

I'd like to do it early, to get the least traffic, but not too early. What do people think of 7:30? At the Puke stadium?

Also, I haven't seen exactly which roads we are running- does anyone have that detail yet?
I'm just waiting on Chris getting back on deck but I think we are up for the 23rd. That time sounds good.

No idea re the route - I suppose I should find out being in the left seat!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:02 PM
O2GO
Drifting

I emailed Targa NZ yesterday arvo asking for a copy of the route guide. So we could decide once we know that.