Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 03:23 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Leong and I were discussing wear rates on consumables. As we've got faster tyre sets have been demolished faster. In the last four track days things have speed up again for me as Im getting enough regular seat time to compound the gains that in the past have had long periods of latency in between. Now a brand new set of MPSC2 will last me 3 days. They are 3350 a set, although Ive just chucked a few sets in my UK container in the hope of reducing cost.

The suggestion was that if we backed off 2s a lap we could get back to the 4-5 days we were enjoying from tyres 12-18 months ago.

I contemplated this for a few days. Buying tyres cheaper probably gives me a day back for "free". But the reality is Im still gettling a bit quicker in the car over time so those gains will also be eaten up at some point. Brakes and rotors are also incrementally diminishing (on factory pads I get only 6 days from my fronts).

The reality is I did not buy a car that can produce a say 1.36-37 at Taupo to be driving it in the 40s to conserve tyres, pads and rotors. I save some money ever track hour but have "invested" in a platform Im not longer using the potential of...
I suspect you'll probably carry on up the tyre ladder Macca, but if anyone else is thinking this over there is another option. Rather than any consideration of saving a couple of seconds by under-driving MPSC2s (under-driving anything sucks for me too), another option might be one of the cheaper, hardier and longer lasting R-comps like the Nitto NT01 - if something like that comes in GT3 sizes? 996T track rats reckoned NT01s were a second or so slower a lap than the old MPSC (which - though you'd have a better idea - is a second or so slower than your MPSC2s) but lasted well up to 20 heat cycles and stayed good to the cords.

MPSC2s still best suited for mixed use and the wet, but with those cheaper (especially as you can run them down to slick) R-comps for the heavy dry track days? Or else just keep using the MPSC2s as dedicated track-only tyres after they get below road legal and have a second set of wheels with fresh ones for the road and mixed stuff?

Last edited by 996tnz; 03-28-2017 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi mate.They had their off up by the old club house corner. It catches people out in the rain as there is a stream of water across the track there. You may recall its where Tony M came off in his 993 during NITT in 2014.

Id be all over another tyre. However there are only three R comps available in R20/305-30 fitments and they are Trofeo R, MPSC2 and Dunlop Sportmaxx. I think Continental have something out soon. Bridestone have just started a RE71R in teh same fornt fitment (R20/245-35) but not the rear and their 295 doesnt work.

Probably with this new GT3 is we are tech leaders/beater testers. Within the next few years there will be a dirth of R20 R comp fitments from the eastern brands that likely work ok but too late for me probably.

There are Supersports and Corsas but they cost the same money as MPSC2 and dont last as long.

In the end the only way I cuold make it work was to land them 30%+ cheaper from UK. Looks like that may be a bit late too if I sell the GT3 ha ha
Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Hi mate.They had their off up by the old club house corner. It catches people out in the rain as there is a stream of water across the track there. You may recall its where Tony M came off in his 993 during NITT in 2014.

Id be all over another tyre. However there are only three R comps available in R20/305-30 fitments and they are Trofeo R, MPSC2 and Dunlop Sportmaxx. I think Continental have something out soon. Bridestone have just started a RE71R in teh same fornt fitment (R20/245-35) but not the rear and their 295 doesnt work.

Probably with this new GT3 is we are tech leaders/beater testers. Within the next few years there will be a dirth of R20 R comp fitments from the eastern brands that likely work ok but too late for me probably.

There are Supersports and Corsas but they cost the same money as MPSC2 and dont last as long.

In the end the only way I cuold make it work was to land them 30%+ cheaper from UK. Looks like that may be a bit late too if I sell the GT3 ha ha
RE71Rs have a pretty good name for autocross too I believe, so they'd likely be fast but quicker wearing than NT01s. Academic anyway without rears I suppose.

I do recall standing/running water on the right half of the Taupo full track near the transition into braking for that odd back double apex sweepy hairpin thing (I'm sure it has a proper name but that pretty well describes how hard it is to pin down). So yes, the outside of the circuit near that clubhouse gets tricky, with rooster-tailed sheets of spray from any cars in front not helping much either. Particularly fun the first few laps with 32 odd 2K Cup cars racing in the wet.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yep thats the spot!

Id happily try the NT01s. They say there may be some options by end of this year. Not sure whether the local distributor will bother to stock R20 though. Most of them just stock sizes for the JDM croud and there are no savings with eastern rubber ex UK/USA. I think the best I can hope for is a 8-900 saving a set of MPSC2 ex UK etc. I guess that at leats brings a set down to around 2400 which to be fair is at least what R20 NT01/R888R or RE71R would cost if sold in NZ (probably more).

Walt. At least with the Focus RS you have someone to play with in the wet now LOL!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I put some 964 & 993 bits up on www.motecca.com for anyone not on FB. There is quite a bit more Ill try and list next few days...
Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Just putting another dozen or so 993/964 parts up this afternoon. Slow work...
Old 03-30-2017, 04:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

It's amazing how the colour of a car changes people's behaviour. Driving this green Cayman all I've had is smiles and waves. Many people taking pictures and even a mother introduce her son after parking it and asking if he could take a photo of the interior. In 20 years of Porsche ownership I've never driven a Porsche that has elicited so much positive response.

There's a lesson here. Make your next Porsche a "Jelly Bean" colour and bath in the light of a public vilified by the brightness it brings to a gloomy Auckland day, they will forget it's a Porsche and cost you more than a house did a decade ago!
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2017, 06:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Macca, your posts are still delayed until someone subsequently posts. What software are you using?
Old 03-30-2017, 06:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The only downside of a bright car is that people can easily identify you and driving behaviour.

I've been in Highbrook this week and am still to work out how the right hand lane at Trugood allows you to get left faster than all of those people that queue patiently. Alternative route taken by a yellow 996TT

Btw the week out of my normal CBD run has polarized me on Auckland life. If I didn't live in 1071 and have a short commute I would move out. It's that bad. The wait times are incredible and the driving standards are low.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:14 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
The only downside of a bright car is that people can easily identify you and driving behaviour.

I've been in Highbrook this week and am still to work out how the right hand lane at Trugood allows you to get left faster than all of those people that queue patiently. Alternative route taken by a yellow 996TT .
LOL, point made on jelly bean colours having a downside too.

Have gone home via that corner into Trugood for 6 or so years now and only recently started that trick after waiting for ages to turn left then changing into the right lane anyway. I normally leave the office later and there is no queue there, but yesterday I headed home in rush hour, so did the sensible thing and hooked a satisfying sharp left straight into my intended lane - I don't push back in to the left lane afterwards but rather hook a following right and then turn somewhere safe.

I do something similar quite often going the other way in the morning, but my rules of engagement there mean that I only repass the intersection as attached traffic, or as shielded traffic (ie a constant stream of traffic going the other way or someone turning right into the road I'm passing is blocking the intersection to others anyway). Have calculated the average effect as shortening the original queue by 0.8 cars each time (as about 1 time in 5 I still accidentally block an exiting car). So I only wish more of those ahead of me did the same...

Any RSGers of a different mind can at least take solace from me not sporting our banner off-track.

For the visual thinkers:

Name:  RatRun.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  65.7 KB

The rat run can be further shortened, but not (by me anyway) to the point of pushing back into the queue I pulled out of further back.

Last edited by 996tnz; 03-31-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:59 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yip. The GT3. $$$
buggar...!!
Old 03-31-2017, 03:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, your posts are still delayed until someone subsequently posts. What software are you using?
John. I don't know what to do. It's only when I post from my phone. I'm using the old internet brands app.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I've visited Auckland 5 times for overnight trips in the last four weeks. I try not to stay longer than 24hrs. Each time I drive some of the great North Island backroads there and back and now have quite a repitoire of different roads depending on the mood. Some of the smaller country roads are in very good shape compared to our main highways.

Yesterday I went to visit Leong in East Auckland leaving Mt Eden at 4pm after a huge 24 hours that included moving a new arrival Boxster S from customs to compliance, getting it complied, plated/registered, detailed and photographs h, renting a storage unit for it, having the GT4 services, getting the GT3 exhaust swapped back to stock, going to the Milford Cruising club Porsche meet and a dozen other things. I'm a big fan of Uber when moving cars around.

I saw a lot of Auckland traffic. In many suburbs. If you lived out where Leong does you are best to work out there too or eventually you would go off the reservation and murder another driver I reckon...

By comparison the journey home in the dark on country roads was quick, traffic free and exhilarating. And I get to wake up in a quite place with no traffic for when I do down the road for a coffee in the Focus shortly.

Talking of the Focus one of the best cars I've owned. Did the Cobb Tune+ now 396 bhp and 550nm. Uses live logs to USA, needed three to get it perfect. It's like a freight train now. Doubt anything could touch this car in the wet. If anyone wants to try it if they are down here then welcome.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Looks like Pel's black GT: is being speculated. Back on market for 30k more lol. I think its a bit rich trying to punt it as a mint original example when it clearly has been modified for intended purpose and used that way lol...
Old 03-31-2017, 04:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I've visited Auckland 5 times for overnight trips in the last four weeks. I try not to stay longer than 24hrs. Each time I drive some of the great North Island backroads there and back and now have quite a repitoire of different roads depending on the mood. Some of the smaller country roads are in very good shape compared to our main highways. Yesterday I went to visit Leong in East Auckland leaving Mt Eden at 4pm after a huge 24 hours that included moving a new arrival Boxster S from customs to compliance, getting it complied, plated/registered, detailed and photographs h, renting a storage unit for it, having the GT4 services, getting the GT3 exhaust swapped back to stock, going to the Milford Cruising club Porsche meet and a dozen other things. I'm a big fan of Uber when moving cars around. I saw a lot of Auckland traffic. In many suburbs. If you lived out where Leong does you are best to work out there too or eventually you would go off the reservation and murder another driver I reckon... By comparison the journey home in the dark on country roads was quick, traffic free and exhilarating. And I get to wake up in a quite place with no traffic for when I do down the road for a coffee in the Focus shortly.
Living in Jakarta gave me some perspective. Humans ability to adapt/cope is amazing when the job opportunities are scarce elsewhere. I could only do it for four years, others will do it for life. Auckland traffic is nowhere near Jakarta madness, yet, and the reality is that we are already adapting e.g. The engine reseal items were brought to me, I didn't physically shop for them - $30 tube of molykote, delivered freight free in 2 days.

As noted, living close to where you work is important in Auckland, which is one reason why the inner city burbs are full of professionals working in the CBD. Although that is changing. Our new neighbours are Latvian, Taiwanese and British. I don't see any of them commuting.

In my opinion, life as a semi retired person in the Bays wouldn't be eclipsed anywhere else in NZ. The beaches and general lifestyle is as good as it gets. Like many here we have tried to work out how to downsize and release equity, while staying in the same broad location. If there's an answer we haven't found it yet. The Unitary Plan offers nothing as new builds on 400m2 approach $2m. Maybe we'll end up in the provinces. I suspect not as it would be a money decision which as we all know ignore the emotions and don't last.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?