Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 06:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi there,

To be perfectly honest C4 or C2 doesnt make much difference on the track in the wet. The AWD system is biased to the rear and unfortunately from my experience its the fundamental physics of the situation which define the outcome. Upset the weight transfer through the Ss before Castrol corner in the wet in any 911 and you come unstruck. It was a basic stuff up on my part. Good lesson tho. If you get a chance one day do the Porsche Driving experience in OZ. I have done it on two occassions and its alot of fun - especialy in the skid pan where you learn how touchy these cars can be on the limit in the wet!

Thanks for the compliment re the paint. Stefan and his team at Haslers did the work. Glass out respray with all seals replaced. Dale his top painter shot the midnight metallic straight from the gun - layed it down really nice. Took three months - I helped put it all back together - was alot of fun.

If you like the exterior the interior will blow you away. Lots of carbon and colour keyed hard shell sports seats, carbon/leather steering wheel etc. Its the only one like it around. Id love to post some proper shots - but the file restrictions mean it would be a waste of time...

968 sold last night and will be gong to live with new owner in Wellington in the next six weeks.

Heres a few pics of the the 993, M5 (for sale - beautiful car - amazing handling and grunt for a large sedan - real drivers machine tho) and maybe one of the 993 interior.....

Cheers and have a great weekend guys
Attached Images     
Old 03-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

PS. If you would like to see more images of my 993C2 (or old 993RS) and you are interested in thsi model please buy Porsche 993 The Essential Companion - by Adrian Streather. This tomb (600+ pages) is the bible on 993s. I gave Adrian a big hand with the RHD side of the publication and there are about 40 pictures (most technical) of my car over 30 or more pages. Special mention in the front too :-) Its a great read. I suggest Amazon....

Cheers

Macca
Old 03-11-2006, 07:29 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Macca
Where do you buy those nice alloy bits for our cars? I would like to tart the inside up a bit but it's hard to find these bits.
I would buy the book if I still owned a 993. In fact sometimes I would kind of like one all the same. I would go for a C2S if I ever did that.
You know I had a red 993 before the Turbo? Good car too and next to no maintenance. Thats the draw card for me.
Cheers
Old 03-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi 993Man,

The alloy bits were largely from Prestige Parts in the UK (www.prestigeparts.co.uk). All the ***** are in billet alloy but the guage rings are an anodised finish and much lighter. I would like to take the original black guage rings off and have them stripped, dipped and then finished in brush steel one day when I have the time (means loosing the guages for a week or two and lots of hassle getting them out). Ill pobably do this when I do the white dial upgrade (when I get back to NZ). Again another major (and expensive) fiddly job.

My favourite piece is the billet alloy surround for the key. This is a nice sold hefty item that feels really quality when you put the key in - unlike the nasty plastic factory part. Cant recall where I got if from but it wasn't prestige.

Regards moving back into a 993 one day. I would try and talk you out of the C2S. Heavy with no running gear upgrades over the C2. IMHO if you are going non turbo 993 then stick with basic non vario C2 6spd. These are the purest shape, lightest weight and better handling cars for the enthusiast. The C4S was the only other derivative that could have tempted me - but in hindsight Im glad I went C2 and kept the purity of the "coke bottle shape" - the C4/2S and turbo loose that with the sill treatment in my opinion.

Colin at 9miester in the UK has a great billet head upgrade whichhe has spent alot of time and money perfecting on the race tracks in the UK with his 993RS. Its all the talk right now on the 993 board. Hes getting 340-360 bhp from non vario engines!! A few of the C2 guys have had them fitted and say its unbelieveable. 1370kg with 360bhp NA and gobbs of torque give the car some serious mumbo. Power to weight sits around 993 TT (much less torque tho), but the free revving nature would be a blast on NZ road and track. Very expensive tho - but cheaper than a 3.8l RS retrofit kit and can be completed by any Pcar mechanic. This will be my final set of upgrades in 5 years time - good time to freshin up the engine as well. Would probably do the RS LWF and Clutch then if not before.

Not many upgrades planned for the next 12 months. I have limited myself to a set of new gold centres, deep dished BBS 3 piece alloys (same as on 993 GT3 Evo) with correct offsets ex Europe. Expensive but I really dig the look - especially on the midnight metallic blue. Of course this will only be when some money is made! year 2 will be getting those dials sorted. Year three the LWF and clutch and last of all the engine upgrade. :-). Thats the plan...but hey plans always change....

Regards maintenance. I ahve had the 993 over 5 years and apart from servicing and batteries I have NEVER had to replace anything! My 968 cost me much more to run in 15 months! Great car - strong engine.

Just had 9Elven over for a spin in the M5 and his 964 3.3T. It was wet but we still tore around the streets of Auckland. His turbo is alot of fun - especially on the semi slicks. Pulls hard - probably similar to the M5 is grunt vs weight - but the 964 3.3T handles like a go-cart in comparo. He has the 1 bar boost spring....

Cheers

Macca
Old 03-12-2006, 04:07 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Hi Macca
You have realy spent time and money on your car. I hear what you are saying about the 993C2. Thats what I had before the Turbo. I bought T Hetheringtons car. It had only 44km's on the clock, was NZ new, 6 speed and Gaurds red.
I really liked the car but after a 930, then the 993 I was just not satisfied. Stupid really. Should have given it some time. The draw card, like I said is the lack of maintenance with the 993's. It was a pre vario as well. Took about a week to sell it, so they are (were) in demand.
One day when the market picks up I might look at changing. Not many cars seem to be selling right now, which for summer is a bit of a worry. I would advertise but I can't be bothered with the no alls and all there questions.
For me now it's not about the power, it's about driving spirit. The Turbo has that, but not in the same way, if you know what I mean.
One thing the 993 had over the 965 was the engine tone. It sounded wonderfull under revs, where as the Turbo is like a chainsaw firing in the back seat. Nice, but not the same.
The untilmate would be to have one of each, but thats not likely to happen.
It's not worth bring single over a car (or 2)!
Still, nothing beats the sound of a Ferarri under revs though
Cheers
Graham
Old 03-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

993Man,

Hear you loud and clear and we are reading from the same page.

Thanks for the kind words...

I agree regards the spirit and sound too. I have owned turboed cars and cars much more powereful than my 993. They have been a blast and I agree - very addictive. However the sound of my 993 with RSR mufflers, motorsound drilled box (or the cone filter when I gad that one) and teh motorsound tips is definately something that makes me smile everytime I start her up. Add to that the honesty of the steering, the light chukable feel of the car and the revvy narure of the engine, the smell of teh interior, the wonderful curves etc etc - just keeps me coming back for more. Shes not the fastest thing on the road by a long stretch but I can still scare myself witless in the car in the twisties and I guess its a bit of a "soul thing" for me. Bit like surfing with a long board - a short thruster is fun but tiring and edgy. The longboard alows some smooth moves, some fluidity and a feeling the you are actually connected with the wave - not beating it to death!

Geeze - thats far too profound for Monday morning - Im going to get a coffee!!

PS. Id really love a ferrari. Never had one (bills scare me) - but in the next 5 years I love to own a 355. I really love that shape and the sound they make is amazing. Another soul car I feel - but with less reliability and more demands than a P car.

PPS. The 993 is a good long term investment - but then so are any older (pre water) P cars. However as you have rightly said the residuals have plummeted. I cant believe how slow the used car market is right now. There si some us awesome kit out there for next to nothing - but its a real drag selling in this market as I know. 12 montsh ago I had two offers on my 993 at just over $100k. Ok - its a unique car and had a mint spent on it - but they were healthy offers. If I were to sell it now I would get 10-15% less than that!! May as well keep her another 10 years I say and amortise all that dosh Ive spent on it - then the depretiation wont seem so bad :-)

Cheers

Macca
Old 03-13-2006, 02:32 AM
993MAN
Drifting

355? Me too. You get a white one cause mines gonna be red!
I drove a 348 not long ago. I know they are not the best and are unreliable, and it takes a serious money tree to fund them later on........but that noise man! Totally awesome.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 04-18-2006, 03:09 AM
adwriter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in New Zealand too. Live in Laingholm, but work just down the road from Giltrap Porsche in Grey Lynn, Auckland. (Very handy!) My 1990 C4 is my daily driver.

Cheers

Chris
Old 04-19-2006, 11:03 PM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

WHOA!
More Kiwis popping out of the woodwork.
Welcome adwriter. I live in Browns Bay and work in New Lynn.
I take it you have used Giltraps services a few times......how do you find them?

I have just had some work done by Motorscience and found them very good. They take their time and explain everything thats going on.
How long have you had your P car?
My C2 is my daily driver also......get withdrawal symptoms if i dont get behind the wheel.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:56 AM
adwriter
Advanced

Hi Nick

I've had my car for just over a year and find Giltrap to be very good. The service manager, Craig Antliff, is very knowledgeable and very helpful.

I guess they are not the cheapest outfit, but they fix things fast without cutting corners. They stand by their work and if something is not quite right, they remedy it immediately.

I also have a three-year Autosure warranty, which helps defray the cost - and Giltrap deal directly with Autosure for claims so I don't get any hassle.

My C4 copes well with the crawl along Great North Road every day. A Sunday morning blast out to Huia or Piha clears its lungs, and it's exhilarating on longer holiday drives up north to Leigh or east to the Coromandel. I'm looking forward to giving the new Bridgestone Potenza S02a (Porsche N4 spec) tyres a real workout soon, courtesy of Rowe's in Avondale.

The car's been amazingly reliable, touch wood. Yes, maintenance is expensive, but the depreciation is less than that on my wife's Honda Odyssey. So it balances out. And I know which car we'd both rather drive!

Best,

Chris
Old 04-21-2006, 04:25 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Hi Chris,

I've had mine 7 or 8 months and love it.

Youre right about the depreciation and the car both my wife and i would rather drive. No contest.

Let me know how the Potenzas go...... the previous owner put Goodyear Eagles on prior to selling so theres still a ton of wear left.

Some "spirited driving" is always healthy for car and owner.....not to mention a whole lot of fun!
Wife and i have done trips down to Mt Maunganui/Taupo/Rotorua and back. Last one was to New Plymouth for an extended weekend.....mostly just for the sake of driving.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:55 AM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys - I'm in central Auckland and the '44 is a daily driver .

Have to do a fish and chip run to Kaiawa sometime
Old 04-26-2006, 05:25 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Hi George,
Isnt it strange how its more fun taking the loooooong way round to get where you wanna go?
Ever noticed that when you see someone in another Porsche, you both just grin?
Old 07-08-2006, 07:20 AM
NZLcyclist
4th Gear

Hi guys.

No Porsche yet but maybe one day! I'm only 19 so plenty of time. I am based in Hamilton - do you guys know of many people owning Porsches there? I've seen one or 2 but not many

I would love to meet someone restoring or doing some work on an older Porsche (or even a newer one!) that doesnt mind someone watching and learning. Or even hopping in for a cruise somewhere! But These things are very hard to find - so help a fellow out if you can eh? I read your post that there's a track day at Puke tomorrow - I live about 600m from the hairpin when I am home at the parents... might see you there.... will post after.

Brendon
formerly: nzporscheboy
Old 07-09-2006, 06:12 AM
cbnz
Instructor

Hi Brendon

Were you at Puke today? I was there and it was a great day had by all (except for the 993 in the tyres at Castrol) Steve Rasmussen at Pirongia would be your best bet. Join PCNZ and I'm sure you could hook up with members there. Also, there will be another DE day next month, on the 20th, and bent sprints in Taupo in September.

Cheers, Craig.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?