Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 03:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry D
John , I collect the car tomorrow , calling into the Concourse on my way home .
In the Bay for a birthday so I'll miss seeing you and it. Good luck with the road trip. What a hard life we lead
Old 02-12-2016, 03:53 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are all the Gary/Garry's buying new cars?? Do tell...
Old 02-12-2016, 04:01 PM
Ponto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John McM
Gary, congrats on the purchase. Is it already at home?

Re tyres, I decided not to go extreme with roadies on my C4, so went with the same size roadies as my track tyres and stuck to Hankook. The roadies are Ventus Evo 2 and they are fine within the expectations for a tyre that costs $1,000 for four fitted. It maybe the 4wd, but even on wet roads I could keep enough pace on the way to Taupo to keep Paul happy in the following 993.

Re engine bay trim. I fitted a new blanket ex Pelican. I also fitted a Dave Etter pad keeper to hold the rearmost edge nicely. The end effect was very tidy. I got the pad keeper from Porscaholic ( Nelson). They were advertising on Trademe.
Hi John, cheers for that, we're pretty excited about having a P car to spend our weekends in again, car is still in Auck getting a few bits and pieces done before we collect, I thought whilst in the spending mood I'd get everything up to scratch so we have a good starting point, should be ready to collect in a couple of weeks and thought we might road trip back this time. When do you guys leave for SITT?
Must be a good month for Gary's and P cars, looks like GaryD has secured one to 😃.
The Ventus Evo 2 looks promising based on your experience, it will be doing road work only so the 1k saving could be better spent on the maintenance work and one of those pad keepers.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponto
Hi John, cheers for that, we're pretty excited about having a P car to spend our weekends in again, car is still in Auck getting a few bits and pieces done before we collect, I thought whilst in the spending mood I'd get everything up to scratch so we have a good starting point, should be ready to collect in a couple of weeks and thought we might road trip back this time. When do you guys leave for SITT? Must be a good month for Gary's and P cars, looks like GaryD has secured one to dde03. The Ventus Evo 2 looks promising based on your experience, it will be doing road work only so the 1k saving could be better spent on the maintenance work and one of those pad keepers.
I think the team leave Auckland on Sunday, 6 March.

Brian at Megatyres in Browns Bay is the man for the Evo 2. It's a small tyre place but he lets you watch the touch less tyre fitting. No scratches.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Ponto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John McM
I think the team leave Auckland on Sunday, 6 March.

Brian at Megatyres in Browns Bay is the man for the Evo 2. It's a small tyre place but he lets you watch the touch less tyre fitting. No scratches. Removing tyre on fuch wheel with touchless technology - YouTube
Nice to see a service provider taking some care and respect with someone's pride and joy, not always the case in my experience. Thanks for the contact John, if the timing works out I'll pay them a visit before I start the journey south.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jeff at Gillies

Just noticed that DSC Sport have done an article on Jeff. He's helped me heaps with the GT4. We're lucky to have him I think!

http://www.dscsport.com
Old 02-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Garry D
Instructor

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Are all the Gary/Garry's buying new cars?? Do tell...

Hi Pete

I had been looking for an S/C or a 964 for run around town , I picked up the blue 964 Tip that was on Face book a couple of weeks ago , collecting the car tomorrow
Old 02-12-2016, 06:06 PM
Garry D
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ponto
Hi John, cheers for that, we're pretty excited about having a P car to spend our weekends in again, car is still in Auck getting a few bits and pieces done before we collect, I thought whilst in the spending mood I'd get everything up to scratch so we have a good starting point, should be ready to collect in a couple of weeks and thought we might road trip back this time. When do you guys leave for SITT?
Must be a good month for Gary's and P cars, looks like GaryD has secured one to 😃.
The Ventus Evo 2 looks promising based on your experience, it will be doing road work only so the 1k saving could be better spent on the maintenance work and one of those pad keepers.

OK Gary , lets hear it , what have you found to enjoy ?
Old 02-12-2016, 06:13 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Leong72
Just noticed that DSC Sport have done an article on Jeff. He's helped me heaps with the GT4. We're lucky to have him I think!

http://www.dscsport.com
Thanks for the link - agree that we're lucky to have him about! Nice article Jeff.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:42 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Pete

I had been looking for an S/C or a 964 for run around town , I picked up the blue 964 Tip that was on Face book a couple of weeks ago , collecting the car tomorrow
Good stuff mate - you're ticking off the P-list very steadily! What's the next itch?
Old 02-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Garry D
Instructor

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Good stuff mate - you're ticking off the P-list very steadily! What's the next itch?
I've been looking for an Air cooled Turbo for a while , something will show up eventually
Old 02-12-2016, 07:12 PM
Ponto
Intermediate

OK Gary , lets hear it , what have you found to enjoy ?
Hi GaryD,
Congrats on the purchase, was this the one that Nathan owned and was with Aeroautomotive? I made enquiry about that one also but you were way to quick for me! Looked like a nice car but never had the chance to view in person.
Worked out pretty well for us as we were looking to replace our last car, a NZ 993 targa tip which Kirsty loved and I enjoyed driving more than I thought I would, we didn't think replacing with the same would be possible, but as luck would have it that's exactly what we've done! Same year (96), NZ car, low K's (within 2k of the old one), arguably a better history, great genuine condition as was the old one, just in a different colour, old one was Ibis Blue / Midnight Blue interior, this one Arena Red / Black interior, happy days!
With Kirsty driving the last one way more than I the new one will be her car and I'll get some weekend privilages, seems only fair with the amount of racing I'm doing at the moment and it also leaves a sycological door open for me to get my own P car sometime in the future, quite fancy a mechanically tweaked rat / outlaw type beast, getting a bit ahead of myself here, it's ok to plan ahead though, right? !
Old 02-12-2016, 07:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

David. Good work. Doug had similar experience with them. They obviously have a level of latitude but it is a confusing thing and something Rasso and myself and Pete have struggled to get a specific handle on for years. The inconsistency that is. Don't get me wrong, I've been treated very well by them...but....For example Jamie has decades of track and moto experience but no go without formal tuition. Why? Over the years at RSG we have employed the services of Racing Ray three times and Owen Evans twice. Both are recognised by Prestigio (RR reluctantly) and both will not only teach you how to be a quicker and safer driver but for $50 a session will help you maintain your compliance. I've organised RR & Evans myself for 4 of the 5 RSG days they have attended last 3 years and I'm often surprised at how few people elect to use their services. Cheap insurance and experience transfer IMO. Where else in the world can you get a guy who's driven 100 plus podiums in a 911 to teach you for 15-20 mins for $50?

Great plug for Jeff. We need a few more blokes like him in the NZ scene!!

Congrats the Gary's. I'm not 100% up with the play here but you both purchased 964 tipo? Enjoy! Gary D - when will the 993 be back on the road do you think?

Some interesting articles circulating the net re the collector market in UK& USA. Prices for the newer stuff like 991 GT3/RS & GT4 starting to fall back from speculative highs. May be a breather or a change in the wind...

991 911R debutes in a few weeks. 4.0L RS engine, manual gearbox in a designed coupe limited edition to around 900 units world wide and rumoured retail 270k USD base (imagine will be around 600k NZD). It's not supposed to be as track focused as GT3. One for the collectors I think. Maybe 2 units into NZ....
Old 02-12-2016, 07:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And will come in only white or silver with red or green strike and black or brown leather with some CF body panels. Focus is on weight...
Old 02-12-2016, 08:30 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Over the years at RSG we have employed the services of Racing Ray three times and Owen Evans twice. Both are recognised by Prestigio (RR reluctantly) and both will not only teach you how to be a quicker and safer driver but for $50 a session will help you maintain your compliance. I've organised RR & Evans myself for 4 of the 5 RSG days they have attended last 3 years and I'm often surprised at how few people elect to use their services. Cheap insurance and experience transfer IMO. Where else in the world can you get a guy who's driven 100 plus podiums in a 911 to teach you for 15-20 mins for $50?....
^^^This - we are super fortunate here to have such accessible coaching. IIRC, Porsche told Ray once that his Ivory Beast had the most competition wins of any Porsche ever. Keen to get Owen's and Steve's input too but always been delighted with Ray. I've had less formal coaching than Macca but that's usually only due to them being booked out pretty quickly. Always the best investment of the day!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?