Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Old 11-26-2015, 03:17 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 336 Posts

Gearbox finished and final body sanding done today. Christmas is coming early!
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2015, 04:08 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Jake, my RS19/29s didn't have enough meat left for Targa so went RSTs front, RSLs rear. Would've preferred it the other way around to put more brake bias on the rear but between Pagid apparently not doing all compounds across all brake formats and Racebrakes's inventory it was the best compromise. I find the RSTs bite harder and have much more linear application/release characteristics than RS19/29s though (and than RSLs presumably, but hard to tell when they're not on the front axle), so I'm probably still happier having them up front anyway.

Squeal like pigs off track of course but then so did the 19/29 yellow endurance pads. Can't remember which numbers I went with for the pads but I did check that their cold performance was still good too and that the performance of the pads at each end varied similarly across their temperature range so brake bias would be fairly consistent.

YMMV etc...
Thanks Walter, appreciate the feedback. RST's look like they'd be pretty aggressive as far as rotor and pad wear are concerned?

Interesting setup with RSL's on the rear. Expect bias would be fine once they're hot, and given the weight of the car it wouldn't take long

Squeal not too much of an issue for me as car is barely in use outside of spirited runs and occasional track days, although I'll quote this post after the SITT...
Old 11-26-2015, 04:15 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yes good post JMc.

I might have to take Rosie on the track on Roadies - I could probably do 10/10th's and not make the minimum time on roadies............

Mind you - I still have a set of 15's with 214's in the back of the garage

It's hard to reform.

I do like this photo for inspiriation..........
Paul, I see you have named your car. A Rosie is a 993 tipo cab. A hairy ***** 80's 911 is a Hartmut, Jurgen, Horst, Heinrich, Gerhard, Gunter .....
Old 11-26-2015, 04:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doh! Thanks Pete. I assumed it was some kinda Uncles thing, then recall Uncles got bought by Peter Martin and then my brain got fried...

Jake. You will either love or hate squealing pads(sharp noise every time you came to a stop). I hated them and I know a few here that have low tolerance for them too. Ive used both types on both cars and prefer the less aggressive compounds. My problem with the 993 is the speed the brakes heat up so race pads are pretty ineffective till the car gets some temp in them. On neither car did I feel any improvement in my lap times but I didnt go for a full race pad. Nigel C uses factry pads on his 996 GT3 as does Buba and myself. Whatever Pagid compound they are from factory they are perfectly fine, durable just a bit dusty. Biggest improvement I found was SRF. But you need t change it regularly too and it makes a big difference. You'll notice that guys like Steve will change brake fluid very regularly (nt sure what he uses). I do annual with SRF but if it were ATE dot 4 would advise every 2-3 track days, especially fr a heavy car like the turbo...
Old 11-26-2015, 04:31 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Just on the side as a matter of interest, I visited a company today that we use for low volume zinc die casting. Spincast.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_casting

We do rapid prototypes and these are used as the master, which is squashed between 2 silicone fat pancakes which are then vulcanised and pulled apart again for a 2 part mould.

They make lots of things that you probably own like the metallic badges on your key fob and other NZ made products that have a metallic badge.
They have the lions share of the beer puller market with the cast logo's on the front of those.

Anyway, since I'm driving the 911 all week and I pull up in that he showed me a few things he does for Porsches, like the gold plated PORSCHE letters on the back of my T. Makes them for some dude who sells them on the net.

Worth keeping in mind if you need low volume things. A rennsport gruppe grille badge for example?

www.spincast.co.nz
Old 11-26-2015, 04:42 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Paul, I see you have named your car. A Rosie is a 993 tipo cab. A hairy ***** 80's 911 is a Hartmut, Jurgen, Horst, Heinrich, Gerhard, Gunter .....
It's the girls family car mate, the first mod was booster seats in the back, the second was 3 point harness seats, the third was tires and a professional clean.

I have lowered her a bit to give a better stance and corner balanced - so there is one performance-ish mod.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:55 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem

Worth keeping in mind if you need low volume things. A rennsport gruppe grille badge for example?

www.spincast.co.nz
Bugger - Caymen don't have grills....
Old 11-26-2015, 04:59 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Photo's of new ride height Dave. Not as low as the SC - but looking more purposeful and I don't have to plan the driving route to avoid speed bumps - I just laugh at them like I was in the missus' All Road.

I have been using the car for work on and off over the last 2 weeks and just loving it. The car is shiney and red gets a lot of complements - people come up to you and say I used to own one back in the UK or remember driving in one etc.

Let me know when I can buy the SC - I think I am ready for a 911/964 as a daily driver.

Also considering a 7.1 tipo - they are getting cheap enough??
Attached Images   
Old 11-26-2015, 05:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Im not much of a guards red fan as you know but I think it looks really good Paul. Stance is just right.

But what is all this fashion about corner balancing a road car?

I may be miss informed but as its been explained to me (repeatedly by Peter Alder, Dean and others over the years), you can only effectively corner balance a car if you can:

a). adjust pre load on the sway bars (see 993 RS adjustable drop link below - a very tasty item) and/or

b). shift weight around the car (i.e. in a race car relocate battery, or move brackets etc).

Above assumes in first instance you can adjust perch heights.

Im all for having a weight adjusted geo done (i.e. having geo performed with drivers weight in seat) but I dont understand what corner weight balancing a 3.2 (even if it could be performed effectively) will do for the day to day handling? No one I know of on the 991 GT3 board has had this done and there are many hard core track freaks over there. I dont recall having read much about it on the 993 come t think of it either...Maybe someone could educate me here? Walt? Wheres Matty G when you need him?
Attached Images   
Old 11-26-2015, 05:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete what about an RSG cast key fob :-)

Thanks for the heads up Dave.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:32 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Rev limiting down the S-F straight as John suggested would work for losing a second or two but I'd have to halve my speed to lose 10 seconds a lap, as well as it being terminally boring for both driver and spectators. Same pretty much goes for a half-power tune.
First world problems! What about a sneaky tow rope to my car? You need to lose 10 seconds and I need to find 3 to hit 1:25...
Old 11-26-2015, 05:34 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Photo's of new ride height Dave. Not as low as the SC - but looking more purposeful and I don't have to plan the driving route to avoid speed bumps - I just laugh at them like I was in the missus' All Road.

I have been using the car for work on and off over the last 2 weeks and just loving it. The car is shiney and red gets a lot of complements - people come up to you and say I used to own one back in the UK or remember driving in one etc.

Let me know when I can buy the SC - I think I am ready for a 911/964 as a daily driver.

Mate, that is looking seriously awesome. Paint is popping. GR all the way!!
Old 11-26-2015, 05:46 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Doh! Thanks Pete. I assumed it was some kinda Uncles thing, then recall Uncles got bought by Peter Martin and then my brain got fried...

Jake. You will either love or hate squealing pads(sharp noise every time you came to a stop). I hated them and I know a few here that have low tolerance for them too. Ive used both types on both cars and prefer the less aggressive compounds. My problem with the 993 is the speed the brakes heat up so race pads are pretty ineffective till the car gets some temp in them. On neither car did I feel any improvement in my lap times but I didnt go for a full race pad. Nigel C uses factry pads on his 996 GT3 as does Buba and myself. Whatever Pagid compound they are from factory they are perfectly fine, durable just a bit dusty. Biggest improvement I found was SRF. But you need t change it regularly too and it makes a big difference. You'll notice that guys like Steve will change brake fluid very regularly (nt sure what he uses). I do annual with SRF but if it were ATE dot 4 would advise every 2-3 track days, especially fr a heavy car like the turbo...
I expect hate or note hate - who could love them! Race brakes have recommended the pads, I figured it couldn't hurt to try, although sounds like it might hurt my ears and self esteem if I'm ever stuck in traffic

Have been running SRF since March. Haven't bled since. On that note - do have 85% of a bottle of SRF from that full bleed and replace, stored in a zip lock bag, anyone used an opened and then capped and bagged bottle after any length of time? Given the the fact it's hygroscopic I'm conscious of it going "bad", I guess I need a steer on whether or not a tightly capped bottle and possibly not airtight bag is enough to prevent it. Ideally I could use the remainder for a partial bleed, but rather not add undue risk for the sake of $100.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:51 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Thanks Walter, appreciate the feedback. RST's look like they'd be pretty aggressive as far as rotor and pad wear are concerned?

Interesting setup with RSL's on the rear. Expect bias would be fine once they're hot, and given the weight of the car it wouldn't take long
I've normally had to replace rotors due to cracking before they hit the minimum wear limit anyway (Sebros near the wear limit) so not too worried about a little extra rotor wear. Pretty sure she's RST3 up front, RSL2 out back (would prefer RSL1) so not the most aggressive compounds anyway. You can see below what I mean about having them reasonably matched over their temperature ranges:

Name:  Pads - Mu vs temp.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  80.5 KB

On the Sebro front, what was the concern, other than maybe aesthetics?
Old 11-26-2015, 05:52 AM
Maxem
Drifting

That's come up really nice Paul, looks stunning and that ride height is good. I've not yet seen your car with my own eyes and looking forward to that. I've been using the SC every day for the last week, the BM has an engine check light on and I can't get it in till next week so not driving that. Just love the SC too, excellent in traffic as it's very nimble and torquey. The T is partly in pieces but if the weather is good I might take that tomorrow. Has been parked since the track day, dirty as a dog but instructions not to get it wet until they do the cavity wax squirt job and screen rubbers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?