Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BadgerNZ
Get an Exige V6. Should smash those times in pretty much stock form with a decent pilot on semi slicks. My S1 with ~190bhp at the wheels on semi-worn semi slicks has done a 1:12.9 and will lap comfortably in the 13s, and that's still with a fairly road-biased setup. More low, more aggressive geometry and fresh rubber should see a mid to low 12, and it'll take slicks to go a bit faster again. The V6 in stock form should be at least as quick, and plenty of aftermarket mods to take them to 450bhp or more would turn it into a road car pretty much nothing else on the road could touch for track performance.
That's impressive. I guess the power to weight is around 3.8 kg per hp which is similar to the 997 GT3 and it sounds like the performance is better. The running costs definitely are. It shows that Porsche are not the only game in town. But you'd be hard pressed to beat the comradeship the marque brings to the table aye.

The other option is we are just **** poor drivers compared to some of these other Marquez pilots. Probably we are not the best but Steve Rassmusen basically lives at HD when he's not fixing Porsches and has been a past Porsche series winner. His little 964 RS/Cup 270 BHP spec car is around 1150 kg (plastic panels full cage not road legal) and is very well developed having run 1000s laps at HD in it and he is good for a 1.13.3 in that car on R comps.

I think we could have a lot of fun if we all sold our increasingly over valued old porkers and buy Elise or Exige as our track cars. As I say may be a bit quitter on the NZ Lotus forums is the only thing?
Old 07-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Macca if we all sold there wouldn't be enough Lotus's, prices would go up!

This looks interesting

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-854907877.htm
Old 07-30-2015, 10:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Macca if we all sold there wouldn't be enough Lotus's, prices would go up!

This looks interesting

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-854907877.htm
Pel. You aint wrong. Its that Supply/demand economics things again!

Those 2 elevens prespresent alot of track mumbo for little dolleros. Theres definately something in this. Only issue is they dont look road registerable so you are back to trailer and all those hassles. Im a huge admirer of the Exige & Elise. I would chose one over a 911 at the track but much of our RSG track work is done on the NITT & SITT and my wife tags along. No way we could cover 7000km touring a year between tracks in one of these. You see we are "gentleman racers" obviously not hard core enough as we like to go to Vineyard or nice resturant in between tracks with our partners/spouses/mistress in our cars LOL!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I have now updated the RSG SITT page with a proposed itinerary Auckland to Queenstown...
Old 07-30-2015, 01:48 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Co incidences....

Just reading in the driven section of the herald about supercars in Knightsbridge and the article referred to a 918 spyder getting detailed on the side of the road causing traffic chaos. We walked past that car and stopped and watched for a while. At that point a guy was inside doing a detail and the car was extreemly grubby. googled it and found this;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ar-season.html

Car was a bit ugly, looked like a brushed stainless steel finish wrap.

My boy saw his first Veyron so he was happy.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:22 PM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the comments section - lot of people with under-developed dangly bits wanting to key it, throw eggs etc. Could end up in jail if one was to catch someone doing that
Old 07-30-2015, 03:33 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
That would be A French Kiss with Death? Ill have to download it.
No. Steve McQueen: The man and Le Mans.

http://www.nziff.co.nz/2015/auckland...e-man-le-mans/
Old 07-30-2015, 03:42 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Another overpriced (?) example. $AU110k 3.2 g50

http://www.inventorysearch.com.au/vi...zc5LSFw.google
Old 07-30-2015, 04:41 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Clarkson, Hammond and May are moving to Amazon Prime. Sadly no access here unless you do some hacks and pay a handsome amount for the privilege. Amazon prime is popular in the UK. I wonder if that had a bearing in the decision
Old 07-30-2015, 04:58 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm sure it will find its way onto accessible sources rather quickly. Pity though.

I really like Lotus (to the point where I was swooning over an old Type 14 Elite on Sunday as it trundled around Caffeine & Classics). George, your Exige is still one of my favourite local cars. If you're ever sick of it let me know! I will own one eventually, but the 911 ticks the boxes for now.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:01 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moody blue
Personally agree that seems OTT but try finding one for less here or anywhere ?
It's all gone nuts. Not selling so don't care.

This is my personal view too.

The cars I have sell within half a day of advertising, so see no point in giving them away.

Problem is we all think like this, so underpins value from sellers perspective.

I too think the Aussie C2 is overpriced - but where is the next one for sale at half the price to prove this seller is a w*nker? - (it's not there.....??) So, maybe the seller is right??
Old 07-30-2015, 05:10 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Get an Exige V6. Should smash those times in pretty much stock form with a decent pilot on semi slicks.

My S1 with ~190bhp at the wheels on semi-worn semi slicks has done a 1:12.9 and will lap comfortably in the 13s, and that's still with a fairly road-biased setup. More low, more aggressive geometry and fresh rubber should see a mid to low 12, and it'll take slicks to go a bit faster again. The V6 in stock form should be at least as quick, and plenty of aftermarket mods to take them to 450bhp or more would turn it into a road car pretty much nothing else on the road could touch for track performance.
Yeah - but it's a Lotus

Better than doing it in a Skyline though

To quote Matt G - if lap times is the name of the game we should all buy super karts or 700kg prototype looking cars with 400HP Lexus engines.

We are a Porsche group and live with the limits of Porsche technology.

(p.s. - nothing against Lotus or Skylines - quite like to take a leightwight Lotus for a track spin)

Last edited by kiwi 911; 07-30-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
No. Steve McQueen: The man and Le Mans.

http://www.nziff.co.nz/2015/auckland...e-man-le-mans/
Thanks Jase. I assumed it would be under the title of the book on the same subject but obviously not.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:37 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get an Exige V6. Should smash those times in pretty much stock form with a decent pilot on semi slicks.

My S1 with ~190bhp at the wheels on semi-worn semi slicks has done a 1:12.9 and will lap comfortably in the 13s, and that's still with a fairly road-biased setup. More low, more aggressive geometry and fresh rubber should see a mid to low 12, and it'll take slicks to go a bit faster again. The V6 in stock form should be at least as quick, and plenty of aftermarket mods to take them to 450bhp or more would turn it into a road car pretty much nothing else on the road could touch for track performance.
Tony B of Playdays bought an Exige S recently too so I suspect some of us will be getting a dose of Lotus on track soon enough.

Macca, some of the greatest track bargains (deferred maintenance aside perhaps?) were probably the ex Motorsport Services 996Ts that were on the market a few years ago for NZD 50K, eg a black one at 580 hp, caged with JRZ suspension, carbon doors and bonnet, wider rims and slicks etc etc and good for something like 1:10s at HD in time attack. Saw another ex-racer (sequential shifter etc) at Contis that sold for similar money and was probably going to be converted back for road/targa use.

Chris's one is a bit more developed than mine, but both are still road cars and should get seriously owned by the likes of the above. General wisdom is that 650hp is about the useable limit for track hp with the 996T BTW. Not from an engine reliability point of view (provided low down torque is capped or the rods are upgraded) but rather just for handling and driveability.

I'll probably take her further in time, but right now I'm just happy running her as she is, without needing the hassle of an LVV cert.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes Walt. I remember those cars. The Red 996TT was a LHD import from USA before Motorsports Services built her into a track car. That was very good value.

Tony is likely bringing his Exige on the SITT. I believe hes currently having work done on it. I believe it is a quick car on the track.

I think track times for most of the RSG group is about personal best. Almost every vehicle is so different than the next that its pointless trying to measure against each other. Currently the only cars that are stock standard in any volume are the 4 x 991 GT3 running out there. Even the 996 GT3s are all quite different from Matts highly developed track miester to Paul Ms and John Bs basically stock with pads/fluid/R comps and geo set up. Even the 996TTs which run regularly are all vastly different from Phils stocker to Chris Bs developed track *****. At the end of the day competitive people are attracted to this hobby and those that have the money (obviously also competitive in many aspects of their professional life).

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?