Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:07 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Keep it stock, what i love about the 996 is how easy it is to access the power. The 930 is hard to keep on boost, but awesome in its own right.

To be honest I need to be a better driver before worrying about more power. I'm doing the driver education day in a couple of weeks in the 930 so that's a start, Figure if I learn how to pedal that properly the 996 will be easy.
Fair call Pel. I left mine stock for three years while getting to know it and improving my driving. I'm now getting around Hampton Downs just as quickly in a 2Kcup street spec and street tyred 1.8L Integra as I was in the Turbo at my first DE. Jonny Reid gave me the chance to put in one or two hot laps towards the end of that Porsche Performance Driver Training day some five odd years ago. We still placed 3rd out of the 20 odd attendees, but it goes to show that improving our driving is a never ending journey.

I've still got heaps more left to learn than what I've managed to date. It puts it in perspective when you watch Walter Rohrl behind the wheel of a GT3 on the 'Ring. His passenger asked him how much professional driving he'd done to get that good: 30 years and 9 million kilometres. And yet he's also admitted that his Carrera GT still scares him.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:18 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thats a shame Walt as you have the right name for the "Breaking Bad" 360 :-)
Funny you should say that Macca, I finished Californication on Lightbox and now deep into Breaking bad. Took a while to get into it but it's quite good.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave its brilliant and gets even better. First half of the first season is slow going tho...
Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Funny you should say that Macca, I finished Californication on Lightbox and now deep into Breaking bad. Took a while to get into it but it's quite good.
I gather you escaped having to watch Outlander?
Old 05-28-2015, 07:19 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I gather you escaped having to watch Outlander?
Not sure what that is but will ask Google. Interesting times - Network TV must now be a dying concept. Could never follow any sort of series (top gear excepted) because it never suited me to be at the same place same time once a week but the new delivery methods work well and am just discovering some quite good stuff. The Porsche content web surfing is suffering as is garage time.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Not sure what that is but will ask Google. Interesting times - Network TV must now be a dying concept. Could never follow any sort of series (top gear excepted) because it never suited me to be at the same place same time once a week but the new delivery methods work well and am just discovering some quite good stuff. The Porsche content web surfing is suffering as is garage time.
ditto/snap!! It's been 11 years thus June since we had any network TV. For the last 11 years we have had a flat panel screen and a DVD player or HDD. In the last 5 years we have downloaded every series we watch (approx 1-2hrs a night) from the latest series via the states. So for the last decade we have had total control of "TV" rather than it having control of us!!!! Can provide plenty of recommendations: House of Cards, The Killing, True Detective (vey good!!), Strike Back (truly awesome), Homeland....

Last edited by Macca; 05-28-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:44 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Disconnected the UHF aerial in 2008 and have never looked back. I don't miss advertisements and empty news headlines. Highly recommend it! You've got good taste in TV Macca. Check out Banshee if you haven't already.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:56 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
ditto/snap!! It's been 11 years thus June since we had any network TV. For the last 11 years we have had a flat panel screen and a DVD player or HDD. In the last 5 years we have downloaded every series we watch (approx 1-2hrs a night) from the latest series via the states. So for the last decade we have had total control of "TV" rather than it having control of us!!!! Can provide plenty of recommendations: House of Cards, The Killing, True Detective (vey good!!), Strike Back (truly awesome), Homeland....
Just finished House of Cards. I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons but the last i found he floundered a little too much and didn't have the edge that he did in the first two. Did you notice every episode was written and directed by a different person?

Homeland was a tense series. I really enjoyed that one

I saw your car today at Contis. Its not in too bad nick. Should be able to be cleaned up with the bit of gently coaxing
Old 05-28-2015, 06:13 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Stu was right the other day - some seriouly nice cars at CCS yesterday when I was getting the GT3 serviced. There was a GT3 RS direclty in front. It was nice to see the comparison........

I already have the 'I wants' for a 996 RS - human nature I guess.............

Should have taken more photos - but figured I could google images instead.....
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2015, 06:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jake & Warwick. We arent quite at the end of Season two House of Cards at the moment. We have about 3 series on the go right now. We find it easy to become distracted if we watch too many at one time and loose the thread on all of them LOL! I will certainly add Banshee to my list right now.

Thanks for the assessment on the 993 Warwick. Its had a hard life paintwise these last three year with track, targa and back road drives. I threw it in a week ago to have a post targa check and a good clean before they take it storage and before "Elvis has left the venue". Perhaps I will get final touch to do some paint filling at the front of the car when Im back....
Old 05-28-2015, 06:21 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Walter and John etc. - where do you guys import your front chin spoliers from. I see a 996 GT3 one costs $900 at mates rates in NZ?? I need a cheaper source........
Old 05-28-2015, 06:22 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Stu was right the other day - some seriouly nice cars at CCS yesterday when I was getting the GT3 serviced. There was a GT3 RS direclty in front. It was nice to see the comparison........

There was an interesting collection of metal this morning too. A lovely leftie pale blue 356 and a black 356 with its engine on the bench. Orange RSR.....and a really dirty blue 993 with a carbon and grey interior. That owner should be ashamed
Old 05-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Warwick. Thats a Go Car not a Show Car as John would say :-)
Old 05-28-2015, 06:42 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Walter and John etc. - where do you guys import your front chin spoliers from. I see a 996 GT3 one costs $900 at mates rates in NZ?? I need a cheaper source........
Suncoast is a good start, though the shipping narrows the price gap a bit:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego..._spoilers.html

Else take your chances on Ebay, or Alibaba?
Old 05-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This is perfect read for you Paul...

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911-gt3...-modern-era-rs

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?