Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

The RSG banner order is being made today. I hope everyone who wanted one has ordered as I think this is the last one I will do.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:28 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another one desperately in need of some "Dave" love

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-883892358.htm
Old 05-05-2015, 05:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S

That's getting some very positive comments on the FB Air cooled page. It will sell today if not already gone.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, just wanting your opinions on brake pads for the Cayman.

I'm considering between endless and pagid rs29's

Use will be targa tour, track days and spirited road trips.

I've had RS29's in my RS4 before and liked them but never in a porsche.

The Cayman currently has endless pads in it I'm told... they are yellow, not sure if that's the colour of endless pads? as RS29's are yellow also!

Thoughts appreciated
Old 05-05-2015, 06:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris. I run Endless MX72 in the 993 for track and targa and love them. Zero noise once bedded, good wear, great bite. they are a fast road/track pad. They are blue. I have bought a set for the GT3 which will be fitted before NITT. Unfortunately they need ordering from the factory as rarely does Mike at Prosport have these types of fitments on the shelf.

I know nothing of RS29 from personal use but what I do know from the 993 & 991 GT3 forum is they are a track compound and general consensus is good although some are finding they transmit too much heat into the brake system. They may be too aggressive for a Targa Tour although would be ideal for a full competition targa. At the moment many in the GT3 camp are preferring Performance Friction Pads like PF8 etc. John may have some knowledge as a cayman R owner having read up in this area.

Great to hear you are joining us mate!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier

The Cayman currently has endless pads in it I'm told... they are yellow, not sure if that's the colour of endless pads? as RS29's are yellow also!

Thoughts appreciated
Matt B (your likely passenger) put me on to PFC pads prior to the SITT last year. They have been very good for me. I believe he uses them on his 997. I have no idea what's on my R right now, but they are prone to squeaking. If I can find a PFC compound like the 08 for the R I will likely go with that.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:08 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier

Thoughts appreciated
Chris - as you say, RS29s will handle that usage and more. I like them but found them a bit spongier and less grippy than the previous street Pagid-Textar combo I had on. Maybe just due to going from thin worn out pads to thick new ones but I still believe they are a little compressible and less progressive than they could be. They also squeal a lot on road but hey that can be fixed with a "Brakes Squeal Because Racecar" sticker. Another Pagid option that may be available for your car is their new RSL line.

I'm planning to run RSL1s as the next pads on my Turbo, even if it means having the fronts custom cut. In rough terms they have the bite of RS14s, with the good low temperature performance and longevity of the RS19s.

http://www.pagidracing.com/fileadmin...cteristics.pdf

Expecting them to be be better on track in the dry in particular (except for on ChrisB's 996T of course which is already tricked out enough: hey wait for me first Chris - I'm just picking them because their colour matches my car).

Hard for me to keep exact track of what pads are on which 2KCup car and when, but I'm pretty sure we found Endless to be a lot less endless than expected. The C-plus Bendix compound semi-metallic rears from BNT we used also died in a single meet, though they got a work out and only cost $40 for two.

Hope that helps some.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:25 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

All of these Pagid endurance pads score very well on handling heat, as you'd expect, but vary on friction level and a few other factors. A perfect pad would fill the whole graph:

RS19:
Name:  spider-RS-19.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  37.2 KB

RS29:
Name:  spider-RS-29.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  37.0 KB

RSL1
Name:  spider-RSL-1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  37.9 KB

There is also an RSL2 for those who want something that sits between the RS19/29s and the RSL1 for friction:

RSL2:
Name:  spider-RSL-2.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  37.2 KB
Old 05-05-2015, 08:14 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Interesting graphs, do you know if a high score in Disc/Pad wear represents a positive or negative?

Edit: Have looked at their site, high score represents long life characteristics (given they're marketed as endurance pads). I've got a new set of OEM fronts and have recently replaced the rears (Textar), and expect them to last until the rotors need doing as well, at which point I'll most likely go third party for both. The RSL look to be a great option for pads.

Last edited by nzskater; 05-05-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:11 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ndewar
The race , for me, was what I had been hoping for when the whole idea of the RSG Hondas was born. For that I must thank all involved but particularly John and Walter for all their time and effort in getting the cars ready and so competitive. I was surprised at how well they performed and how fast they were.
My message at the end of the day seems to be repetitive but is heartfelt...... This was an amazing experience and although the end result could have been better it is so worthwhile and enjoyable,exciting and rewarding. I loved every minute and would encourage all those sitting and watching to grab a chance to do this thing. You wont be sorry.
Neil, I missed this post earlier but would second your comments unconditionally. Massive fun. I was also impressed that you looked so calm and composed throughout your race. I looked like I'd been in a sauna by the end of mine.

John commented that the two RSG Integras match each other pretty well again after both having their right hand sides touched up in race. My contact was down to a too late, too hot, banzai charge from the car behind that collected me near the apex of the T8 hairpin when it was already my corner:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2p8a0p_torpedoed-at-the-apex-some-car-40-loving-during-the-2015-2kcup-masters-fast-group-1-hour-enduro_auto
I swung wide at the last moment to give him enough racing room to stay on track but he still couldn't make the turn at the speed he was carrying.

Macca, thanks again for the Dashware tip but the new free version doesn't seem to support video overlays. Might be missing how to find that feature (anyone know how?) but I eventually gave up and tried RaceRender, which has a great workflow for synchronising clips.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S

Aye, what? Am I too late? Missed that one. 1728 views as at 1.00pm so she is quite a popular lassie.
Motorform Sekta's....my wheel of choice for my WRX fetish during my younger days in the 'Tron
Old 05-05-2015, 10:06 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^^^^Sugar scoop headlights but RHD. Must be a converted yankee?
Old 05-05-2015, 10:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
^^^^^^Sugar scoop headlights but RHD. Must be a converted yankee?
That's the word on FB. Maybe Diana will visit the page for you and report back
Old 05-05-2015, 10:50 PM
Leong72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
The RSG banner order is being made today. I hope everyone who wanted one has ordered as I think this is the last one I will do.
Hi John,

These are the windscreen banners? I'd like one for the GT4 if you have a red on black? Sorry didn't hear about it till now.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leong72
Hi John,

These are the windscreen banners? I'd like one for the GT4 if you have a red on black? Sorry didn't hear about it till now.
Hi Leong, I had orders as follows:

Chris T: Red on Black & Black on White
Gary P: Iris B on Black
John H: Red on Black
Jake: Arctic Silver on Black

I ordered 3 red on black, 2 white on red, 1 black on white, 1 Iris Blue on Black and 1 Arctic Silver on Black.

I have just asked Thomas for another Red on Black but it looks like I have you covered already. I will take the extra white on red for Herman the C4.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?