Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Don't take it too personally, everyone's pretty friendly here but there's a huge mix of personalities posting. Macca likes to discuss numbers and technical details a lot, sometimes it's safer to just roll your eyes and move on.
Agree. Lots of personalities with different ways of expressing themselves. Nothing personal meant by it.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:45 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
GT4 videos released last night. Have to say I got quite excited! I'm going white. I've decided to do buckets and borrow a 997 comfort seat from a contact in Europe for Jo to use passenger side for a few months. Haven't told her yet. Bit scared to actually! White is for cup cars and GT cars I reckon :-)
Noooooo! Carmine red was cool. Understand the buckets and white if you are being 'next buyer friendly' but it'll be a GT3 mini-me....
Old 03-04-2015, 02:53 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
To be fair, neither my wheel nor Doug's battery seemed dodgy before we took off but it just pays to expect some hiccups when you run 6,000 km in a couple of weeks. Big things to avoid are the own goals like brakes, fluids and tyres.
Agree. We (John, Michael and I) did a Cape Reinga return shakedown weekend run (1000km) a week prior to the SITT. We then sorted a few minor issues that come from concentrated driving over the next week before setting off on the SITT. We also took plenty of tools and spares but fortunately a leaky tyre and a dying battery were our only issues. Note to self: leaving headlights on for 30 minutes while parked makes for nicer photos but not too good for the battery.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:00 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Agree. We (John, Michael and I) did a Cape Reinga return shakedown weekend run (1000km) a week prior to the SITT. We then sorted a few minor issues that come from concentrated driving over the next week before setting off on the SITT. We also took plenty of tools and spares but fortunately a leaky tyre and a dying battery were our only issues. Note to self: leaving headlights on for 30 minutes while parked makes for nicer photos but not too good for the battery.
My leaky tyre was a dynamic problem. It was only when I started to hoof it that the valve stem moved and let air out. There was no puncture. I used road tyres for the Cape Reinga leg then switched to Z221s for the SITT leg. It was the second day of the SITT leg that brought up the issue.

I recommend you travel in a group as you can rely on the other vehicle.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2015, 03:33 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I've bought 4 of my 5 Porsches from offshore sight unseen. Cheapest and riskiest was 968 6spd ex Japan. Wasn't a bad buy. If I'm spending 200+ km I need more than a Japanese auction can give me. I need someone I trust to look over the car. This one is out of my comfort zone so happy for someone else to give it a go...

GT4 videos released last night. Have to say I got quite excited! I'm going white. I've decided to do buckets and borrow a 997 comfort seat from a contact in Europe for Jo to use passenger side for a few months. Haven't told her yet. Bit scared to actually! White is for cup cars and GT cars I reckon :-)
surely that Brendon Hartley video on the RS will have fired you up Macca? haven't changed your mind?
Old 03-04-2015, 04:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

For once there will be benefits with having sons. No one goes to school until Dad has his GT4
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2015, 05:08 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by mjg
Sounds like the Taupo offer from Quinn was turned down. Not sure what this'll mean for Taupo's future, I'm hoping the club can find a way to make it work. I suspect if Quinn had succeed in acquiring the track it'd end up like Highlands, inaccessible to 99% of Kiwi motorsport enthusiasts.
Quinns now after a track in OZ:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/03/03/...er-taupo-snub/
Old 03-04-2015, 05:29 AM
PHG
Racer

Pete
spot you on the commute often of an evening..usually around Esmonde as I whistle North and you crawl Sthward
must say, you car does stand out in a crowd..
Old 03-04-2015, 06:39 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
but it'll be a GT3 mini-me....
Agreed - grow some bigs ones Macca - and pick a colour.

Yellow sounds promising, but I think Graham has this colour reserved - (still think we need to talk him into mexico blue).

Personally - having seen the 991 GT3 in this colour at CCs - rodium silver is getting my vote. I don't think you can go wrong with silver either from a resale perspective.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Agreed - grow some bigs ones Macca - and pick a colour. Yellow sounds promising, but I think Graham has this colour reserved - (still think we need to talk him into mexico blue). Personally - having seen the 991 GT3 in this colour at CCs - rodium silver is getting my vote. I don't think you can go wrong with silver either from a resale perspective.
I saw the Cayman in white yesterday and really liked it. I want those silly side vent covers painted/wrapped in black to create some contrast. Agree however that white is the easy option. It's also zero cost along with yellow black and guards red. I can buy the buckets with what I save going from Carmine to white with Matt black wheels but it would look a bit silly in the garage if I kept both I guess. Haven't mentioned anything to Jo so will have a think on it. rodium is a back up plan too I guess. Apologies if offending someone on RUF debate. I'm moving around a lot and only on global roaming recently so impossible to research things like Ruf yellowbird cTR vins. Trying to make bid decision therefore compromised. Frustrating but shouldn't lose civil graces sorry. Happy to be wrong but for what I thought might be a 150k investment need some hard facts. Anyway looks like it's not a car for me but very interesting none the less. Nik and Jake would be really interested in what it sells for if you can keep an eye out for it? Thanks for posting it Nik. You have a good eye for uncovering these things! Graeme - unfortunately I have seen only the videos that launched a few hours after the car at Geneva as I've been traveling and continue to do so for a while now without wifi. The last videos I had were the ones with the old 9000rpm tachometer shown ( porsche backed this engine down to 8800 rpm max after the stop sale on GT3), looks like marketing department stuffed up. Have friends at Geneva sent me images of actual car and it looks hot. Real shame they couldn't keep the 9000 rpm IMO. I'm not a great fan of the asthetic either and the stance is a bit compromised due to the aero and clearance needed at static. Tyre costs for track very pricey compared to already expensive GT3 20" tyre costs. Tech is wonderful but on purely imperial grounds GT3 not only 5ph Vmax faster but shadows all other metrics so closely as to make the 100k nzd gap seem pricey. I still need a car that will travel between tracks, NITT & SITT comfortably for 2. The GT3 is not only more cohesive design package IMO but also the better car for NZ roads. I think I will have made a UK member happy however as I've passed on my allocation and hopefully put him into it, we will see... I wish I could post a few pics and things but I can barely get text away so later...
Old 03-04-2015, 03:25 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
For once there will be benefits with having sons. No one goes to school until Dad has his GT4
... but here's hoping they really like school or they might play for time until Christmas!
Old 03-04-2015, 04:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
So if i understand, even for idle and low throttle positions the books recommend the same AFR as at WOT? I had a look at the Innovate solution you suggested. Looks a good way to accurately log your WB AFR's. Sadly with a completely open loop system and the ECU I have there is no way to act upon the results
According to my book, at idle, lambda of 1 is recommended for fuel efficiency and emissions. Peak torque is produced at lambda of 0.91 or 13.2:1, so the aim for WOT.

By connecting the WB sensor I should be able to read my AFR live and see where I'm at. 11.3:1 at WOT with the SW chipped ÈCU looks too rich. Safe yes, but possibly losing some torque.

As I said before, If I can move to high 12.X I will be happy. Right now I have no idea where the SC ÈCU is fuelling at, but it looks rich based on the black exhaust.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:27 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Evo - 991 GT3 RS:

Old 03-04-2015, 05:29 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Chris Harris at Geneva:

No more Lambo drives for Chris, hes pi$$ed them off . . .
Old 03-04-2015, 08:12 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
So if i understand, even for idle and low throttle positions the books recommend the same AFR as at WOT?

I had a look at the Innovate solution you suggested. Looks a good way to accurately log your WB AFR's. Sadly with a completely open loop system and the ECU I have there is no way to act upon the results
http://www.mapecu.com/why-choose-mapecu/

Interfaces with the Innovate LC1, provides logging, tuneability, removes the AFM, NZ company, plenty of tuning outfits with experience installing and tuning. What's not to like?

Cheers,
Mike

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?