Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
What about doing the "tour" next March and finish with the 4 track days? Tour on Z221s or track on road tyres like I did last year. I guess this would mean taking the C4 instead of the Turbo tho unless you were happy for some sedate track days in the turbo?? March is a great time for weather but as we have an annual holiday around Easter it makes for quite a lot of time off for me at that time of year.
I did a calc today. Distance traveled since we came back to NZ: 996TT = 17,000 km, Herman = 13,000 km and Turbo 3.6 = 900 km. In other words the Turbo 3.6 needs to get out there. Today Peter worked his magic so it's ready to rumble, although not on the track. In summary, keen for a road trip, but I want it to be the Turbo 3.6 doing the miles.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:53 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Look on the positive side : cold is great for turbos
Definitely! Also looks like it might have finally snowed a bit, so might make a trip to Ruapehu when I return.

Found another 911 parked up at a temple in Kyoto, this time a 991 Turbo. Scuffed bumpers and curbed wheels all round, looked like it hadn't been cleaned since it left the showroom floor. Saw it being driven a while later and watched the driver cut in front of three lanes of rush hour traffic. Don't imagine it will last long.

I'm in for a South Island tour but busy through March with 4 weddings in three different countries throughout the month. I'm very keen on the road driving and indifferent to track days (as of right now, by the time it comes around my views may have changed after I've actually driven one).
Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Definitely! Also looks like it might have finally snowed a bit, so might make a trip to Ruapehu when I return. Found another 911 parked up at a temple in Kyoto, this time a 991 Turbo. Scuffed bumpers and curbed wheels all round, looked like it hadn't been cleaned since it left the showroom floor. Saw it being driven a while later and watched the driver cut in front of three lanes of rush hour traffic. Don't imagine it will last long. I'm in for a South Island tour but busy through March with 4 weddings in three different countries throughout the month. I'm very keen on the road driving and indifferent to track days (as of right now, by the time it comes around my views may have changed after I've actually driven one).
If Black Beauty is still running in a few months, hand over $200 to become a co-owner and take her out on the track. Half the fun is that She's not traveling at warp factor speeds out there so the risk is reduced.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just been down to CCS. Masa's Turbo 3.6 is being returned to original spec. Apparently it's been sold. It's in beautiful condition. Someone got a great car.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the home straight with the pinning and tranny upgrade now but can't see her being back together for next week's Sprints so if anyone wants to borrow a Simpson Hybrid Sport 'HANS' system and D-ringed BELL Sport full face helmet let me know. You'd just need a medium to large chest and medium to medium-large head (the top one - about 59-61cm or so). Helmet worn for less than an hour since a super thorough clean (it was ex Speedway - that dustiness sticks).

Actually, if someone has their club race licence but no kit at all I could probably sort them out for the day - PM me if interested.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:54 PM
Ralf G
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've given up on the data import from XLS into RS2. Tried a couple of hours and analysed the RS2 access DB, but It seems there is no easy way to get data into RS2 except from getting it from their equipment. Means I need an AIM solo or something similar. What does the majority of RSG use?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:06 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralf G
I've given up on the data import from XLS into RS2. Tried a couple of hours and analysed the RS2 access DB, but It seems there is no easy way to get data into RS2 except from getting it from their equipment. Means I need an AIM solo or something similar. What does the majority of RSG use?
AIM Solo looks to be the most popular in RSG. Considering getting one myself, maybe even the DL version that can read and overlay car data too. If insurance cover needs to be maintained, my understanding is that it needs to be covered or mounted out of sight while on track. Others will know more.

Murphy's law will see one twice as good and half the price released the week after we buy it of course...
Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Yes, most of us have AIM Solo. They are easy to use and robust.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Masa was somewhat surprised I knew he had sold the car. I'm not going to be too nosey but it sounds like it has sold to a local and is not destined to go offshore. We might see it out and about. I'd guess it's gone to someone who collects rare Porsches.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
AIM Solo looks to be the most popular in RSG. Considering getting one myself, maybe even the DL version that can read and overlay car data too. If insurance cover needs to be maintained, my understanding is that it needs to be covered or mounted out of sight while on track. Others will know more.

Murphy's law will see one twice as good and half the price released the week after we buy it of course...
AIM is probably your best bet Walt. I use a Performance Box by Racelogic in the UK which I really like. They still support it and it seems to be the system of choice for UK track rats. the software is very intuitive and there are two things I particularly like about it 1). Its powered by Cig lighter - one less thing on a track day(s) I need to think about charging. and 2). You can run it with the screen off which i do to comply of insurance as I record my runs on video and theres no way out should the insurer playback my in car footage.

Matt in Taupo uses on and Matt Gregan also used to but has moved to AIM so may give you a good deal on his old one if hes interested in selling. I bought mine on TM for a very reasonable price and couldnt be happier.

Regards batteries and track days with the GT3 I decided to hardwire everything so now the Camera works without any need for worrying about batteries. It really makes life so much easier when it comes to fly drive type situations...
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Interesting Massa chose to sell it locally given the astronomical prices we are seeing offshore in the UK. I suspect I know who bought it. Im pretty sure they wouldnt have paid international prices for it. I loved Massas car, the colour mileage and spec were unique. I think it was ex Singapore or HK?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Interesting Massa chose to sell it locally given the astronomical prices we are seeing offshore in the UK. I suspect I know who bought it. Im pretty sure they wouldnt have paid international prices for it. I loved Massas car, the colour mileage and spec were unique. I think it was ex Singapore or HK?
Ex Singapore. Less than 54,000km on the odometer. I'd say barring an ex Brunei bubble car this would be the best in NZ. I didn't ask about price, but I did get a sense Masa wasn't watching recent offshore prices. In the UK I'd say that car is NZD 330,000 making it worth ~ NZD 220,000 before export.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
AIM is probably your best bet Walt. I use a Performance Box by Racelogic in the UK which I really like. They still support it and it seems to be the system of choice for UK track rats. the software is very intuitive and there are two things I particularly like about it 1). Its powered by Cig lighter - one less thing on a track day(s) I need to think about charging. and 2). You can run it with the screen off which i do to comply of insurance as I record my runs on video and theres no way out should the insurer playback my in car footage.

Matt in Taupo uses on and Matt Gregan also used to but has moved to AIM so may give you a good deal on his old one if hes interested in selling. I bought mine on TM for a very reasonable price and couldnt be happier.
The Solo comes with an accessory power cable, but the battery lasts so long you can run it multiple days without charging, which is much more convenient than cables. You can also set the display to a number of non-time displays, covering the insurance angle.

I do have the PBox lying around if anyone is interested in it. Also a Race Technology DL1.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

My guess is around 150K locally which would seem about right.

Your mileage analysis on your Porsches since you returned to live in NZ had me curious. Assuming you got back permanently late 2012 (from memory) I looked up carjam and worked out my mileage. The 993 is 13500km from 01 Sept 2012 and the 991 GT3 is 4600 km as of today. Not too shabby for someone who is never here (I think including overseas rental cars and my Vanuatu truck you can add around 35,000km to that in daily driving etc).
Old 07-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That's good to know Matt. Usually everything goes flat during my absences. Walt I amend my advantages of the performance box to only 1). Price (assuming you buy Matts)!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?