Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 12:46 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ME Rennlisters

Hey!!!!!!!

Anyone here from/living in the Middle East region???
Old 04-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Greetings from Muscat!
Old 04-27-2005, 02:51 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

It is about time

How is the weather right now in Oman?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

41 deg C, heating up. Otherwise not much to report from here; same stuff every day more or less. I'm having the 928 in at the dealer for some minor overhaul, and spent this morning in their workshop cleaning the gearbox. It's a very friendly relationship here between Porsche drivers and the dealers - they are all enthusiasts themselves and truly great friendly people. I'm getting the intake and valve covers powder coated here locally, and look forward to see the result! Just got the gear lever and steering wheel back with new leather, and am sending the old one to the US for proper color matching so I can paint the new leather in original color. Keeps one busy here in the ME
Old 04-28-2005, 02:30 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, it was 37C a couple of days ago. Today was a mile 34C, so i can't really say if things are heating up or cooling down LOL.

We have aterrible relationship with dealers here, they just don't understand and mess things up (unfortunately). Heck, they are so bad that they actually start engine fires, literally

Wish we had a good relationship............oh well..........this is where the manuals come in
Old 04-29-2005, 05:55 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Engine fires wow!
Not many other people from ME on here is it, I know of a couple of rennlisters from AD/Dubai but that's it.
Your 944 turbo looks nice and original from your avatar pics, maybe you could post more shots of it? A friend here is restoring one, but other than that I know of one 951 in Oman and that's all.

Old 05-07-2005, 04:06 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Kolbjorn: Well, the car on the av doesn't show the stone chips and minor dents in the car . You're car looks amazingly clean

I just happened to meet another 951 owner in Dubai, but he doesn't come on rennlist. There is a S2 rennlister in Dubai that i am always keeping in touch with though

Here is my car parked outside in the university parking

Old 05-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Awesome car. The ride-height must be modified, what suspension setup do you have? There is at least one 951 here in Muscat plus the one my friend is re-building, and there's a '90 S2 cab and at least two mid-80s S. But it's getting thin on the ground!

The 928 is admittedly a rather nice car, it had only one previous owner who always garaged it. I'm in the process of getting original ClubSport wheels for it now, hopefully it will improve the handling a bit.

Here's a photo from last Friday, Oman is getting more and more tarmac roads these days.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:53 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Man, i completely forgot about this Sorry Kolbjorn, got busy with graduating from college, job seeking and many other things (ironically, i have been posting on rennlist just forgot about this thread).

So what's new in Muscat? How's the weather? It's 40C here, but jumidity is 100% daily here....bummer!
Old 08-07-2005, 02:59 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kolbjorn S
Awesome car. The ride-height must be modified, what suspension setup do you have?
The car came with Koni Yellow's adjustable all round from the factory, but with as age comes, the front suspension did see better days.

Got me new Koni yellow inserts from Paragon, along with Weltmiester 1.25" lowering springs for the front. Then, i figured why not go do the whole struts/dampers issue since the PO was so into the car he replaced the control arms, rebuilt steering rack, tie rods, sway bar bushings and so on.

Eventually, my expenses kept on rising tee hee. Ended up getting new strut mounts, seals, rubber bushings and so on (basically, everything for a 'while you are in there' job).

Once the front was lowered, it looked like some messy BMW 3-Series with it's rear end in the air and the front lowered :rolleyes. So the rear was lowered, respectively as the front (another 1.25" or so). Got the car aligned, and i was good to go

Only problem is, i didn't realise that 1.24" lowering was cause such a problem with speed humps. Not all of them, but the majority.

PS: Sorry for the long write up
Old 08-09-2005, 03:07 PM
por4ever
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings from Bahrain. The dealer here loves to see me $$$. But they do have a German tech which inspires some confidence. Really the only complaint I have is the money they want for parts is about 3x what I can get them for in the States.

There is a 924 and a 924S at the place I work but they never called when I left my # on their cars. Owners here don't appear to be too friendly. I think they get their cars just for show.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Hi guys, first of all Hussam how is job hunting? I did see your posts about it, hope it works out - bottom line to me is just put up with whatever hours is required for a time as to get your reference sorted (not so cool with bad references); then resign in good professional (and friendly) manner when an alternative better job offer comes along.
In the meantime before any interviews think through what you really want in life, and how you think you ought to reach there. Arguably there are two major routes, a technical and a managerial (which of course can be combined) - perhaps it is best to aim for technical excellence before any managerial positions (or your own company for that sake)...? (for example). Answers to all this must to yourself be as honest as possible. However facing the company you must place yourself in the interviewer's position - why you? I personally believe aiming to become an acknowledged technical 'expert' level will get you a long way - you can always aim for managerial positions along the way. At the same time in the interview you need to sell your personal qualities that eventually will get you to that goal. This could for example be all from a friendly cooperative behaviour to enjoying multi-national teamwork as well as coaching and leadership. But this is of course my opinions; as I say you need to be honest about it as well. At the end of the day the job is 1/3 or 1/2 ? of life .....

Old 08-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Hussam, I can put you in touch with my friend Mike who is building a 951 track-car here in Muscat; perhaps some good ideas to be had? (ideas -> $$$ .... )

Two 924s in Bahrain? That's amazing, never seen one in Oman. Do you drive your 944T there or do you have it overseas somewhere?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:23 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

First of all, i am happy that por4ever saw the list and joined in i want and hope to see as manny Middle Eastern rennlisters join this thread as possible (since there are not many of us around).

Thumbs Up to the both of you

Secondly, yes Kolbjorn i am job hunting. I only contacted 3 companies and got two interviews going.
Actually, i have been working in one company for 1 week, as a 'probation' period. Let me just say that i am NOT happy at all working there.

The boss is a PITA "artis" who thinks he knows it all, and on Wednesday, i stayed from 9:00am till midnight working my a$$ off, and all this without knowing what 'package' is offered to me. So, it has been a bad start, but i am still working part-time in that advertising company (been working there for the pas 3 years and 6 months).

Still looking for that 'real' job, since i want to do something [b]really[b/] exciting in my life.

Kolbjorn, it would be great to contact Mike with regards to the 951 track car he is building, i am just drooling on the table just thinking of what it may look like lol.

Speaking of 924's, there are two active ones driven here in Dubai that i know of. My best friend (this girl) has one as well, but it has been put out of comission for 10+ years (nothing happened mechanically, just parked it for that long).
Old 08-12-2005, 06:18 PM
por4ever
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kolbjorn,
One is a 924S and the other is a 924. There are lot's of Boxters and 911's in all flavors including GT3's and 2's and LOTS of Cayenne's. My 951 is here with me. I need to find someone else with one here so I can have a point of reference and another head to help me out.

Quick Reply: ME Rennlisters