Notices

964 Rally cars?

Old 10-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 964 Rally cars?

Anyone know of any 964 Rally cars having been built and rallied either in NA or Europe?

Hoping to buy a C4 and build it up for regional/national stage rallying. Why? Love Porsches, love AWD and love rallying. My first stage car was a Isuzu Impulse RS. Extremely rare and out of the ordinary. Once built up - was a competent runner - what with AWD and a 200HP turbo motor and all. And it was very satisfying to NOT be in a Subaru. Nothign against them at all - they are just TOO common in the North American rally scene.

Anyone know of anyone else having done this?

RK
Old 10-23-2005, 06:05 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

You could try contacting Paul Belmondo Racing in France, I believe they had a 964 rally car at one time.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:30 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a video of a 965 Rally car, (that ends up in a tree) somewhere on the internet. He seems to be doing quite well in the beginning.

I have no idea how to convert the 964C4 in to a Rally car. But I guess the AWD on it, should be quite up to a descent level.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
Anyone know of any 964 Rally cars having been built and rallied either in NA or Europe?

Hoping to buy a C4 and build it up for regional/national stage rallying. Why? Love Porsches, love AWD and love rallying. My first stage car was a Isuzu Impulse RS. Extremely rare and out of the ordinary. Once built up - was a competent runner - what with AWD and a 200HP turbo motor and all. And it was very satisfying to NOT be in a Subaru. Nothign against them at all - they are just TOO common in the North American rally scene.

Anyone know of anyone else having done this?

RK
Jeff Zwart rallied a C4 here in the states for a few years in the 90s. Did well with it. Won his class at Pikes Peak several times as well.

There are a few RWD 911s rallying also. Bob Olson from Minnesota has/ had one or two 911s that he used for a few years. Bob Cutler bought (I think) the yellow one and just ran LSPR last weekend with it.

My father (Scott Harvey Sr.) has a 911 and a 912 that he has been using in the California/ Nevada/ Arizona rallies. The 912 was originally built for La Carrera and won its class in 2002(?).

All I can say - if you insist on rallying a Porsche, better bring bags of money (as if you wouldn't need to sink enough with any other car).

Pics: 1 = Bob Olson
Link: Bob Cutler (this year's LSPR) http://photobucket.com/albums/v715/A.../LSPR%202005/?
action=view&current=008_8.jpg
2 = Dad's 911
Attached Images   
Old 10-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Rassel
Drifting

That's a really cool picture of the 964 in the snow. You wouldn't have happened to have more of those?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:31 AM
elsewhere
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rassel
That's a really cool picture of the 964 in the snow. You wouldn't have happened to have more of those?
not in the snow but ...

http://click.quick-web.com/?id=33050

Old 10-31-2005, 04:00 AM
Rassel
Drifting

That's a nice collection of P-cars!

I think Gilles Nantet put his 965 in a brick wall somewhere on that track.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:11 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rassel
You should be able to find more here:
http://stcimages.com/rally/04snodrift/index.htm

or here:
http://www.sno-drift.org/Photos/Photos.htm

And of course, no post by me would be complete without a shot of one of my toys.
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2005, 10:11 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Rally Guy

RK
If you can get by with a RWD, there are some pretty decent 964 RS rally cars around Europe. I drove one that had been rallied in France and it was quite impressive, especailly with the short close ratio gearbox.

Of course you could always pick up one of the 954s. They were a ball to drive, but unfortunately are collectors items now.

Too bad they only made a handful of the 953s....

Nothing like a nice rear wheel drive rally car. I loved my old Safari Spec 911.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm kinda broken over AWD. I ran a RWD rally car to start and while I learned a lot - the frustration of getting blown away by the AWD cars (just coming on the scene at the time) was a demon I'm still slaying - every time I get in my Celica GT4. : )

RK
Old 11-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Hooverwi
Instructor

Default Another Source

Hi Guys -

I'm usually not so much into rally's but I did see some cool stuff in September. I was in England on a vaction going to the Goodwood Revival w/ a tour group and one of our stops was Francis Tuthill's porsche rally shop! It was quite the amazing trip! At any rate - Mr. Tuthill was a terriffic guy and could probably answer just about anything about rallying porsches for you. His website contains all his info - www.francistuthill.co.uk - hope that is ok to post! It's a really nice prep shop for all kinds of rally's - he was getting a bunch of customer cars ready for an african rally when we were there - quite cool.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:07 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Was getting close to the end of the web and came across this thread by accident.

Here's another shot of the Olson 964 (a photo I took a few years ago).

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 05-25-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 964 Rally cars?