Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non HANS H&N Devices (Schroth, Simpson, Nexgen)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 10:57 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Non HANS H&N Devices (Schroth, Simpson, Nexgen)

Anyone have experience with the 'other' H&N restraint brands like Simpson's Hybrid FIA, Schroth Flex, and Necksgen?

Curious about comfort, weight, ease of release on proprietary tether systems etc.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:10 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I have the Simpson Hybrid FIA for use in cars with 3 pt belts. Comfort wise it is ok, although needs to be pretty tight across the chest to work properly. I have HANS post connectors on the tethers so I can use the same helmet with the Hybrid or the HANS. I leave the helmet attached and it's a bit contorted to put on. I think with some practice it would be simple to put the device and helmet on separately and then attach the tethers by feel. One thing to be aware of is the exposed screw heads on the back that can damage seats. I covered mine with thick double sided tape and some Velcro pads. I think Simpson also now has some pads to cover them. Overall I'm satisfied with the device.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:40 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback. How is the FIA Hybrid in a car with race seats? Does the carbon "spine" running down the back affect comfort? Any reason why you don't always run the hybrid but rather switch back and forth between it and a traditional HANS?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:25 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Thanks for the feedback. How is the FIA Hybrid in a car with race seats? Does the carbon "spine" running down the back affect comfort? Any reason why you don't always run the hybrid but rather switch back and forth between it and a traditional HANS?
It's really just habit for me. I've had the HANS for a few years and got used to it with 6pt harness. I got the Hybrid FIA mainly for 3pt systems. I have checked the Hybrid with 6 pts and 996 GT3 bucket seats (Recaro) and it feels fine. The spine is actually quite flat. When strapping in I notice the pressure across the chest from the strap more than the spine in back. Once on track I don't notice either system. Another difference of the Hybrid is it doesn't have the high collar in back like my Hans which rubs on some seats- like the 997 gen Porsche sport buckets (aka GT2 seats). None of the seats mentioned are true race seats though. Perhaps others can chime in.
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2017, 03:38 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Anyone have experience with the 'other' H&N restraint brands like Simpson's Hybrid FIA, Schroth Flex, and Necksgen?

Curious about comfort, weight, ease of release on proprietary tether systems etc.
I have a necksgen rev. Tried on the HANS and the necksgen at Apex Performance with help from Linda. Necksgen was slightly more comfortable but otherwise not much difference. Release is easy.

Fortunately haven't tested it.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:11 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

I just sold my older Carbon Hans, it's not comfortable since it sometimes rides up during driving and the straps fall off sometimes even with the 2" HANS specific Schroth shoulder belts. Leaning towards Schroth Flex for the high belt retention wings but want to make sure I consider all options.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:17 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I use the Schroth Flex in my GT4 with buckets and a Roux helmet; never used a different one so not a comparison.

no issues during driving. belts don't slip off
during a track day I leave the schroth attached to the helmet and put them on/ take them off in one go. quite manageable.

I set it really tight. hand tight using one hand first and then I move my chair forward (basically using my weight/momentum to tighten it). after two days my color bones are sore but no bruises.

I don't feel it during driving and am happy with it.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:19 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback, going to give the Flex a go. Is their release system difficult to click/unclick while you're wearing the helmet/device? Can you do it by feel?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:25 AM
dizzy8085
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the SHR flex. It's my first H&N restraint, so no comparison. I do like it though. I've got really pronounced collar bones and this one is very comfortable.

It's very easy to undo by feel. You just push in laterally and rotate up and it springs out.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:17 AM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been using Necksgen, super comfortable and not intrusive, but seemed to ride back during session. Frankly, it is so comfortable you don't realize is it there, super easy helmet locking mechanism and belts never slipped off.

However, I just purchased a Flex to try out. Just seems like front lower projection of Flex makes me feel like more protection even though both devices pass all same tests. Helmet connection slightly more difficult than Necksgen. Will use for first time at COTA next weekend and judge its comfort level.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:43 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I tried the Flex and it was very uncomfortable for me. Right at the mid-clavicular level - pressed on the bone.
Fortunately the good folks at Apex (Linda!) let me exchange it for a Necksgen. That has been great.

We are all built differently - you may need to try a couple.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:59 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been running the NecksGen for 2+ years now. As stated, it's very comfortable wearing it, both in the car and out. It's very light which is awesome. I run 2" shoulder harnesses, 3" work just as well.
Super easy QR system.

One negative I'll state is the side to side motion is very limited when strapped in tight. Looking at my passenger mirror from the drivers seat position, the side travel is maxxed out, even before I can see into the mirror comfortably. I've got to 'move my eyes' to see into the mirror as opposed to rotating my head enough to keep my eyes straight while looking into the passs. mirror. I may get 30-40+/- degrees of rotation each side (I haven't actually measured but you get the point).
Old 03-22-2017, 11:57 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a Simpson Hybrid and similarly smoothed off the odd little sharp edge on the rear to protect my Porsche sports seats.

I quite like the tightness around the chest (maybe another psychological brave pill?) and have no problem clipping it in with the factory clips, even when strapped in a full harness and wearing gloves. I did fit a couple of circular foam spacers over the D ring on each side to quiet them down by stopping them banging my helmet though.

I like that the one device can be used in everything from tracked street cars with 3-point belts to wings and slicks single seaters where the driver is almost lying prone on their back.

Only problem I've had with it has been when used with a 3-point as I like to have that as tight as possible. Before using the Hybrid that was never a problem but a couple of times now I've found that wedging in tight that while wearing a Hybrid compresses nerves in my outer shoulder and results in creeping paralysis of my hand and arm on that side, starting from my little finger, then working across the others, and then back from there. Can take a day to fully recover. Not ideal when racing, but this doesn't happen when not wedged in tight, nor has it been a problem when used with 6 point harnesses.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:16 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I have the Necksgen Rev. It's extremely comfortable, it's easy to use, the quick disconnects for the helmet are nice. As was stated lack of helmet rotation is a little weird to get used to but that's part of the design and the testing that allows the Necksgen to provide more angular (notice I didn't say side) protection than others.

What I don't like about it is that without the traditional front structure (yokes?) you have to really insure you have all seats / belts/ etc at the proper angles for it to work as intended. The install guide states the belts need to be between 0 and 10 degrees below horizontal. I found that near zero the NecksGen would roll forward with me the first inch or two or movement before it fully seated itself against the harness' and didn't move any further.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:00 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Got my Schroth Flex in today, first impressions aren't that great but I'll give it a shot. Feels like a boat anchor compared to my Carbon Hans. Also the fit and finish isn't as good some machining marks in the plastic. The flexible angle does seem to be pretty comfortable though which is what I'm after.

Also I noticed the retention 'wings' in pictures have a piece that juts out horizontal at the top of the wings but mine does not.

Can you Flex users please post a pic of how the post goes into your helmet? I'm trying to figure out the orientation of the notch in the helmet. Is it like a HANS where the point end should be aimed at about a 45 degree angle slightly towards the floor?

Is this right?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Non HANS H&N Devices (Schroth, Simpson, Nexgen)