First DE with Harness Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts
Default First DE with Harness Setup

Wow, why did I wait so long?
I installed a Brey Kraus Harness Bar and Schroth 6 Point System with a Hans device to my GT3 seat in my 997 for DE driving. What a difference. SO much more comfortable and in tune with what the car is doing.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Smart move.

And no more bruised knees trying to brace yourself through the corners!
Old 03-19-2017, 02:21 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

+1

I've been telling some friends this for about a year. No longer guessing whether YOU are sliding across the seat or the car is moving.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I held off for this long due to the kids still using the rear seat. The Harness bar is easy enough to install for track days. I realize it doesn't offer the safety of a roll bar but at my level it's more a comfort and fatigue reducer than a safety measure. If you're on the fence.... jump.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:15 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

Hang on a second. You only added a harness bar to get your 6 point harness attached?

No roll bar?
You said: "I realize it doesn't offer the safety of a roll bar"

Its not the safety of a roll bar that you are "skipping". this can get you killed.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
Hang on a second. You added a harness bar to get your 6 point harness attached?

No roll bar?

This is beyond dangerous. Most tracks or groups would not allow this.
You are correct. Isn't that the point of a harness bar?

The guy I bought it from had run every track in the area with every group in the area in the advanced level before going with a roll bar.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:39 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

Harness Bars were popular some years ago before people knew better. Yes - there are some cars with roll hoops (like a boxster), but thats because they are convertibles. No "A" and "B" pillar. Its not the same.

I think most PCA regions forbid harness bars - with good reason.

Here is why:
In a rollover, the roll bar will hold the car up. Without a roll bar and your body tightly strapped in, its your head holding the car up. You are safer with a 3 point in the absence of a proper roll bar for this reason.

Yes, 'A' and 'B' pillars are stronger than 20 years ago: Thanks to federal standards for street cars. Still not not a substitute for a roll bar.

Yes - a full harness has many advantages. Getting killed because you don't have a roll bar isn't one of them.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:44 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

What Dan is referring to is your lack of roll over protection as you are now firmly strapped in your seat upright by the harness. If your roof gets crushed, you die.

A harness should always be combined with a roll bar or (best) a cage for your own protection.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:54 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Believe me when I say I hear what you're saying and that was a factor in me doing nothing for a long time.

-M

Harness Bars were popular some years ago before people knew better. Yes - there are some cars with roll hoops (like a boxster), but thats because they are convertibles. No "A" and "B" pillar. Its not the same.

Here is why:
In a rollover, the roll bar will hold the car up. Without a roll bar and your body tightly strapped in, its your head holding the car up. You are safer with a 3 point in the absence of a proper roll bar for this reason.

Yes, 'A' and 'B' pillars are stronger than 20 years ago: Thanks to federal standards. Still not not a substitute for a roll bar.

Yes - a full harness has many advantages. Getting killed because you don't have a roll bar isn't one of them.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:05 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I know from experience that this is not true - most PCA regions in the northeast will allow properly installed/engineered harness bars (assuming the harness is also properly mounted and driver and instructor have comparable setups).

As for whether a harness/HANS/harness bar is safer than just the factory 3-point belts, it's been debated here many times before - and I believe the answer is not cut and dried.

In my view, if the car rolls over and lands in such a manner where the roof is meaningfully impacted inwards, I do not believe you can roll or duck away from the roof with a 3-point belt to avoid head injury (to prove the point - how quickly can you do a sit-up - then think about how quickly you could do that upside down in a rolling car...).

And more generally, in any accident short of a rollover, a properly anchored/placed harness will keep the driver safer than just 3-pt belts.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:10 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

+1
Old 03-20-2017, 01:42 AM
adeane
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you serious? A 6 point belt attatched to a harness bar is not safety. You need a roll bar to ensure safety. First comes the roll bar, then comes the 6 point harness, not the other way around. If you roll, which I've seen happen, your head will be crushed. The roof will crush. You also need a Hans device attached to your helmet to protect your neck. You do not skimp on safety.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:28 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

I'd certainly echo the rollover comments. This is my car from a few years ago. We were wearing stock seat belts. My instructor was pushed toward the center of the car and had exceedingly minor injuries.

Originally Posted by Cuda911

​​​​​​​
Old 03-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

As a compromise, G-Force makes a strap that helps hold you between the bolsters of your seat while wearing a 3 Point harness.

Amazon Amazon

Helped with the sliding and was cheap enough to buy and try.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I'd certainly echo the rollover comments. This is my car from a few years ago. We were wearing stock seat belts. My instructor was pushed toward the center of the car and had exceedingly minor injuries.​​​​​​​
Wow, that's an ad for a roll bar if I've ever seen one.

I am going into my second year of DE. I just purchased a roll bar as well as seats and harnesses for my Cayman.

Wound you mind recounting how that incident happened?

Just curious

Quick Reply: First DE with Harness Setup