Sponsored by:

Head & Neck Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:47 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Head & Neck Options

With the majority of cars that we instruct in, being street cars with standard 3 point belts, is anyone aware of a head and neck restraint that is made for 3 point belts?
I know Safety Solutions previously made the R3, but it looks like this is no longer available since they were bought out by Simpson.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:11 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybri...lt-compatible/
Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

The only truly effective system for 3 point belts that I'm aware of is Simpson Hybrid FIA. I still haven't heard an answer on if a HANS type system is truly needed for a 3 point since it has some give vs. a 6 point that holds your torso in place firmly.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:24 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

As I've always understood it, head/neck restraints were created to fix a danger that is specific to full-restraint harnesses -- namely that by restricting the movement of the torso, 5/6-point systems create a deceleration mismatch with the head that can cause basilar skull fractures. A 3-point belt allows a tremendous amount of movement for the torso, so there isn't that mismatch. That's why basilar skull fractures are a thing in racing, but not in normal driving.

Have I been misinformed?
Old 03-18-2017, 08:16 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Not an expert, but my understanding is when you add the mass of a helmet to the factory restraint "system" of 3 pt belt and airbags the forces on the neck are higher in the event of an impact.

Simpson has stated that they have participated in third party testing (frontal impact test FMVSS208) of the FIA Hybrid restraint with helmet and 3 pt belts and the device significantly reduced neck tension compared to a helmet alone and 3 pt belts. They have not stated how much "significantly reduced" is. This was a couple of years ago. have not seen anything further since then.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
As I've always understood it, head/neck restraints were created to fix a danger that is specific to full-restraint harnesses -- namely that by restricting the movement of the torso, 5/6-point systems create a deceleration mismatch with the head that can cause basilar skull fractures. A 3-point belt allows a tremendous amount of movement for the torso, so there isn't that mismatch. That's why basilar skull fractures are a thing in racing, but not in normal driving.

Have I been misinformed?
I asked this question to Joe Marco, the safety system guru, a number of years ago, and he agreed that three point belt/airbags didn't require a hans style device for the reasons you said.

Please note, I'm no expert, and no one should make decisions based on info from nameless people on forums.

Quick Reply: Head & Neck Options