Sponsored by:

Crazy track session

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts
Default Crazy track session

I went to the local track Saturday - gotta get out there before it gets too hot! I typically drive in the advanced group, but a friend of mine was in the intermediate group, so I decided to drive in that group.

Big mistake! On the very first out lap, just past the blend line a car spins right in front of me. Race car on slicks - you would think they would know better, right?

A couple laps later, I look around the next corner and see another car sideways in the middle of the track. Thank goodness for awareness! Later that same lap yet another car spins right in front of me. It was in a location where I was sure he would snap back right into my path. I slowed and he fortunately did not re-enter the track surface.

Then the pièce de résistance - two (yes, two!) McLaren 675 LT's crash into each other right in front of me! No injuries, but extensive carbon fiber carnage. Both cars were taken away on flatbeds. It was ugly. Really bad day for someone! (same guy owned both cars)

First thing I did after I parked was get a wristband for the advanced group. The rest of the day was uneventful. Except for the typical Corvette with no rear view mirror of course.

The take home points:
- stay alert out there, you never know when or where something will happen
- if you see a white Cayman R behind you, let it pass - bad things happen in front of that car!
Old 03-13-2017, 02:49 PM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 57 Posts

Open track day or PCA or ??? Luckily, we rarely see anything close to that much "action". Two 675LTs crash? Yike$.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:51 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch...

Days like that make me consider welding a big off road push bar to the front of my car
Old 03-13-2017, 04:58 PM
rdrngrp
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. In one org I run with, red drivers can run in the yellow group if there is room.
I decided to get some extra track time. A yellow driver in front of me brakes to setup for a turn that I take flat. Scared the crap out of me.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Inde?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Not a PCA event, not an open track day.
Another well-known group with run sessions for street cars, race cars, etc.
Arizona Motorsports Park, not INDE.

Very atypical for sure!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:53 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

you sir are the Angela Landesbury of track days...lol

Trending Topics

Old 03-13-2017, 07:26 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdrngrp
LOL. In one org I run with, red drivers can run inathe yellow group if there is room.
I decided to get some extra track time. A yellow driver in front of me brakes to setup for a turn that I take flat. Scared the crap out of me.
Was doing a hpde day at road America. Its new for them, run under their own name.

We were doing lead/follow behind the instructor in a vette. The guy was slowly getting us to some pretty good speeds....

Next round, new instructor. Much older... Front line speeds exactly the same. We get to the first corner and he slows down dramatically. I slammed on my brakes and thankfully no contact, but scared the hell out of me. I was not expecting such a drop in speed... It felt like a near complete stop...

Educational...
Old 03-14-2017, 10:43 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
- if you see a white Cayman R behind you, let it pass - bad things happen in front of that car!
Come join us at BUttonwillow, it's not 'that' far from Phoenix!! (ok it is a little far, Chuckwalla is a lot closer...)
Old 03-14-2017, 02:42 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 367 Likes on 171 Posts

Just got a regular promotional email from Hooked on Driving national with the following opening paragraph and thought of your witnessed 675-on-675 carnage:

"We’ve just chalked up another MILLION MILES ON TRACK with NO car-to-car contacts. If you have driven with us in the last year, you get all the credit!! We work hard to drive fast, smart, and in a cooperative manner on track. Thanks to you, the drivers, the HOD Coaches, Leaders, and Safety Staffs who have created and continue to maintain this enviable record. We also are humble and know that someday an unlucky incident will happen...but we remain convinced that safety is NOT an accident!"
Old 03-14-2017, 03:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That's a pretty strong statement of the effectiveness of their culture. Or, they're incredibly lucky...
Old 03-14-2017, 03:34 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

This is a real problem for when I drive my Lotus. I am not particularly fast in it and therefore run intermediate groups just so that I am not a moving chicane. But with more modern cars being so fast, any monkey in a fast car can turn the same or better lap times.

But then as you not, sometimes these intermediate group drivers don't have good spatial awareness or restraint, and you end up with these problems.

Paradocs,
Good to know about HOD, I was considering them, but didn't know whether to risk my Porsche. They sound pretty good based on other RL threads.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

IMO, groupings and vetting those wanting to be in certain groups, both up and down, is CRITICAL to establishing balance within the group.

It used to be that there was an unending cycle of folks who were wanting to be promoted or assigned to a "higher experience or car/driver potential" group than their experience/capability warranted.

Now, I have seen folks in BIG performance potential cars intentionally "underrate" their abilities or experience so that they get placed in a "lesser experience or car/driver potential" group where their speed (and often skill, going the other way) is often far out of the median of the rest of the group. This so they can "pass everything in the group" and avoid being overrun in the more advanced group.

It's always tough to get the balance right, but it can be done. And NEEDS to be done, for safety, IMO.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:40 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I heard about those McLarens. That was with ProAutosports.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:01 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

One thing I've noticed - it seems like the intermediate groups are always the sketchiest.

Novice group - most of those guys know they're novice. Maybe a handful that don't belong (either too aggressive, or so slow they really don't belong on a track). Fast/advanced/black group - same. Most guys know they belong there, only a handful don't.

Intermediate seems to be the blend of the worst lol. Novices who JUST got "moved up" and thus have a big head. Drivers who really SHOULD be in advanced but stay down a level either out of fear, or out of enjoying being the "big fish in a small pond". Then the poor few saps stuck in the middle just trying to avoid being taken out by the latter two....

Quick Reply: Crazy track session