Dont get fooled because its pro/semi-pro series
Old 03-15-2017, 12:22 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 987part
We have the same type of accidents in PCA club racing guys

Dont get fooled because its pro/semi-pro series
I would expect things to be cleaner/better specifically because it's pro/semi.

Sadly it seems there are at least some guys who can afford to simply buy their way in. When I was running 2-wheelers there was a sharp cut for who made the grid, and who didn't (107% of pole) which even THAT was pretty broad... but still plenty of people went home. Did seem to help keep the true dreamers out who really didn't belong running at that level.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:27 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Either of these series requires a budget upgrade from club racing.

Weekend cost $25-35K and that does not include crash damage.

The numbers I have been told when I was looking into the IMSA GT3 series was:

Car ($200-$280k) depends if you buy new or used
Trans/Support: $15-$20k/weekend
Entries: $2-3k/weekend
Tires: $7k/weekend (3 sets)
Consumables: $2k/weekend

Budget $50k in for crash damage and incidentals for season.

Flights, hotels, meals, to get you to and from each race: $10k (season)

(I post this above so others that are interested can have an idea without having to do the work).

I personally didn't know it was such a huge leap in budget.

But as others have said if you want to compete with the best gt3 cup drivers in USA and get coverage for sponsors (ha ha i wish) this is the series to be in and you got to PAY to PLAY.

One day soon....
Old 03-15-2017, 03:14 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

entry is now $4500 a weekend and you have to buy four sets of Yokohama tires per event at $2200 a piece so another $8800

we are going to some IMSA racing this year and next and trying to come up with a budget between PCA Club and Pro level

this really depends on your shop and support guys

I have asked other crew chiefs why the big price tags and they say things like well these guys want cavier and $27 bottles of peanut butter and all kinds of stupid stuff you would have if money was no object

I dont have an unlimited budget but want to race IMSA and am going to keep track of how things go and cost realistically
and let you guys know!!

yes it is expensive but I think can be done much less than say a KMR would charge a weekend

(I hope)
Old 03-15-2017, 03:29 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I would love to step up to IMSA GT3 Cup at some point. That would be a dream come true.
The expense part is hard to swallow, but more speed cost more money. Sport of Kings 100%.
I could see myself hitting the pipe hard in that series.

Makes me realize how good I have it in the GT4 Trophy East club racing series.
Entry fees and tires are manageable, especially for a one make spec series when compared to GT3 Cup, Lambo series and Ferrari challenge. And the car is easy to live with. It is a unique and great product that PCA came up with.
It is a Great series to be in on your way up or on your way down from GT3 Cup IMO.

For now i can only watch the GT3 cup from the sidelines and dream.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:37 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I would love to step up to IMSA GT3 Cup at some point. That would be a dream come true.
The expense part is hard to swallow, but more speed cost more money. Sport of Kings 100%.
I could see myself hitting the pipe hard in that series.

Makes me realize how good I have it in the GT4 Trophy East club racing series.
Entry fees and tires are manageable, especially for a one make spec series when compared to GT3 Cup, Lambo series and Ferrari challenge. And the car is easy to live with. It is a unique and great product that PCA came up with.
It is a Great series to be in on your way up or on your way down from GT3 Cup IMO.

For now i can only watch the GT3 cup from the sidelines and dream.
you are in a great series for sure!! Enjoy!!
Old 03-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by 987part
We have the same type of accidents in PCA club racing guys
Yes, but very rarely. There are relatively few consequences for the drivers when they cause mähen in a pro series.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Yes, but very rarely. There are relatively few consequences for the drivers when they cause mähen in a pro series.
this
Old 03-15-2017, 08:01 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Originally Posted by tkerrmd

I dont have an unlimited budget but want to race IMSA and am going to keep track of how things go and cost realistically
and let you guys know!!

yes it is expensive but I think can be done much less than say a KMR would charge a weekend

(I hope)
Please shoot me a PM in the future.

There are definitely more way to save money on the support and transportation side...but entry tires and running costs are the same everywhere.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:09 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

(I hope)
It can be done cheaper than a professional shop like KMR charges, but you won't have a chance at winning (unless you're already fast enough to be paid to be driving). The hospitality stuff teams like KMR do is basically nothing of the budget.

If you just want to show up w/ a single car trailer and have a buddy help you wrench on your car between sessions, you can do it for less than the big teams -- but all you'll be doing is driving around and spending all your spare time working on the car. And if that's all you want to do, then don't bother going to an IMSA weekend. Save a bunch of money, avoid the headaches and politics and do club races.

-mike
Old 03-15-2017, 08:31 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
+1

Originally Posted by fleadh
It can be done cheaper than a professional shop like KMR charges, but you won't have a chance at winning (unless you're already fast enough to be paid to be driving). The hospitality stuff teams like KMR do is basically nothing of the budget.

If you just want to show up w/ a single car trailer and have a buddy help you wrench on your car between sessions, you can do it for less than the big teams -- but all you'll be doing is driving around and spending all your spare time working on the car. And if that's all you want to do, then don't bother going to an IMSA weekend. Save a bunch of money, avoid the headaches and politics and do club races.

-mike
+1

And often overlooked is the value of in-house data analysis, set-up expertise, and coaching provided in the package.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:34 PM
mobonic
Drifting

entry is now $4500 a weekend and you have to buy four sets of Yokohama tires per event at $2200 a piece so another $8800

we are going to some IMSA racing this year and next and trying to come up with a budget between PCA Club and Pro level

this really depends on your shop and support guys

I have asked other crew chiefs why the big price tags and they say things like well these guys want cavier and $27 bottles of peanut butter and all kinds of stupid stuff you would have if money was no object

and let you guys know!!

(I hope)

-mike

Couldn't agree more. "Do it right or don't do it at all."
Old 03-16-2017, 08:08 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

I definitely see the attraction to sprintX in the GT Cup class. Its an opportunity to run in a more dynamic pro /semi pro series with pit stops and driver changes in a fairly reasonably priced car. The 991 cup will run against the 458 challenge cars and Hurican super trofeo. It's getting a little closer to IMSA GTD but with much more reasonable cost. A 991, 458 or hurican can all be bought for less than a new GT4 Clubsport MR and the cost per hour is way less than a GT3 class car. I believe we will see much larger fields in the GTCup class at the srint x weekends.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:31 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mobonic
Please shoot me a PM in the future.

There are definitely more way to save money on the support and transportation side...but entry tires and running costs are the same everywhere.
will do

-mike
thanks for the input, Im sure you are right!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:07 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Are you talking about IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge vs the PWC GT Cup class? If so, even besides this weekends lack of PWC GT Cup entries, IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge destroys it in terms of depth of field and talent levels. There's normally 1 or 2 quick guys in PWC GT Cup, but IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge is much tougher and probably a better investment if you are simply wanting to improve -- much more track time and you aren't always being attacked by full Pros in faster GT3 cars. :-)

But if you want to race in bigger events and experience/learn multi-class racing, PWC GT Cup is a good option. Personally, I hope they remove the class though.

-mike
It shows to only be 4 GT Cup events scheduled this year with PWC.
Dosnt appear to be very much compared to the PWC GT and GTS schedule...

Are they included in the SprintX?

Last edited by tcsracing1; 04-10-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: IMSA vs PWC GT3 Cup Series