Sponsored by:

anyone have their own tire machine and balancer

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:18 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default anyone have their own tire machine and balancer

The local shops can't seem to stop damaging my wheels, so I'm going to get my own. I'm open to anything, <20k. Its either this or start mailing my wheels and tires out evertime I need them changed. Stupid oil boom, can't get decent help for anything.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

there has to be a competent tire shop close by- you need to ask around.

Phil
Old 02-22-2017, 10:53 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It isn't hard to mount a tire without damaging a wheel. Even low profile tires using a basic machine without any auto assist attachments...

Cheers
Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
there has to be a competent tire shop close by- you need to ask around.

Phil
unfortunately there is not....everyone that tracks here, takes their set ups to the track to get done or has their own personal equipment...next closest town is still 150 miles away......next decent city, 350-400 miles....
Old 02-22-2017, 11:44 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Where are you located?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:54 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

midland/odessa
Old 02-23-2017, 12:00 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Greg Smith Equipment tire changer that I bought new and a used Coats balancer that I found on craigslist.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

I know nothing about tire changers/balances but have been thinking the same thing if for nothing more than convenience. I found this which looks crazy cheap and has good ratings but I don't even know what questions to ask.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191735101343
Old 02-23-2017, 11:39 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

We've got a tire machine made by CEMB (model SM915). Picked up the machine and balancer several years ago when a local shop went under. I have a love/hate relationship with it though. It's saved me a bunch of money, but busting a couple sets of low profile Hoosiers with their stiff sidewalls on a hot day sucks! Doing regular car and trailer tires is easy, so are slicks. Do you have any wheel repair/polishing shops nearby? They tend to be more careful.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:49 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,588 Posts

As a kid I worked at Goodyear for many years and not damaging wheels is "generally" about giving a ****, as well as the equipment.

Before I hooked up with my current shop I used to give the tire guy $20 and say I want to stand with you while you do this. Never had a problem even though it was a "chain" tire dealer.

That being said, if you catch an auction, or ebay/craigslist there are deals to buy. If I had some extra cash I would absolutely go that route.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:50 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
The local shops can't seem to stop damaging my wheels
If you call Corghi and give them your zipcode they will tell you the location of the nearest Artiglio Master. A lot of times places that you wouldn't expect actually have one.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:59 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

Before I hooked up with my current shop I used to give the tire guy $20 and say I want to stand with you while you do this.
I actually go to my dealer--the lead tech there is awesome. They have the latest Hunter equipment and he knows how to use it, and I do watch; I slip him 15 bucks for a mount/balance and say "See ya next week!"

At day's end, these are track wheels; in the best of times they're gonna get hammered. Hate to see you spend a boatload of $$$ and end up frustrated.

Gary
Old 02-23-2017, 04:13 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

A group of guys I know did it as a group project and they save a ton of money doing it themselves. A bunch of buddies talked about doing the same thing, but it came down to not having space and a location central to us all. I am not sure it makes sense financially to do by yourself, but as a group of 4-5 people, the savings will add up quickly., especially if you do track tires, family cars, etc.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:22 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
A group of guys I know did it as a group project and they save a ton of money doing it themselves. A bunch of buddies talked about doing the same thing, but it came down to not having space and a location central to us all. I am not sure it makes sense financially to do by yourself, but as a group of 4-5 people, the savings will add up quickly., especially if you do track tires, family cars, etc.
I'm assuming since he said his budget was <$20k he is a RockNRolla!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:39 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I got my own hunter tire machine and acuturn balancer. If you got a garage queen you want pristine you need to find a shop (or buy) that has a "no touch" tire machine. There are really good machines out there that almost don't touch your wheel. They have a hydraulic "mount dismount" head the comes millimeters from your rim and pushed the tire on the rim without using a "lever" against your wheel. The old school typical machine hasa mount dismount head of plastic that rides your wheel. Then the monkey uses a lever to pry the tire over the rim via the head. That's where you get scratches etc if the monkey is not very good. A trick I always use if mounting pretty wheels is to leave the tires in the sun to soften them up before mounting. That really makes a difference in tire handling ease. If you were going to buy a machine you contact a manufacturer and ask for the machine that a 65y/o arthritic can mount a tire with.

Quick Reply: anyone have their own tire machine and balancer