Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vision issue with long or high speed corners

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Slow day here too, couldn't help but break your advice down to terms a simpleton like myself could understand...

Originally Posted by fleadh
If you're flat who cares.
If you're not flat go faster
Old 02-22-2017, 03:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

you're probably over slowing on entry AND too late back to power because your brain is telling you you're on the limit (been there).

-mike
^^This^^

I do have trouble with blanket pronouncements from folks who have limited experience outside a particular type of car or range of power/grip combo.

For years, I never drove a "big" car, but yes, $#!t changes FAST with hp and grip. One man's "flat" is another's pucker...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes, you have to consider the limits. How do you know that you are on the limit?

How did we do it in the olden days without all of this g-loading data stuff? Can we not leverage data as an adjunct to our basics, as opposed to "instead of?"

As Skip says in the video, "once you are driving the car to the limits of its adhesion, the arc..."

And we have to connect our brains to our asses and our eyes and hands and feet.

What I remember so well from 1987 and my first viewing of Going Faster!... exit speed.

In any case, I think the OP has some ideas to think about. Different people learn in different ways. But one of the key things is to be in learning mode...

And to find good teachers...

I remember some years ago connecting some somewhat accomplished pros (one Trans Am and one Atlantics) with a local coach. He did not ride along. He did not rely on data. There was some skeptisim as to how he could be a good coach without any of these things.

He observed at key places around the track. He taught well, and they absorbed. And went faster. His name is Marshall Pruett. Writes well and takes great pictures too.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:58 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

ProCoach is giving some very great insight into this topic. My first thoughts upon reading your original post was from your description your eyes are not looking far enough out in the high speed turns. Eyes close to the car and the speed create an uneasy feeling of going faster than you really are. This illusion tells your brain you can't make the turn so you must slow down.

One of the first things I usually try to do with anyone I work with in coaching is to talk about what we are going to right out of the gate. The very first thing I like to do with my clients is to have them practice eye exercises in the car in their first few laps. Don't focus on the speed of the turn but focus on where your eyes are looking ahead. Scan around with your eyes through this turn while keeping your main focus out as far as you can see. Doing this while driving at 80% of your ability will help you to create the muscle memory in your eyes of where to look. Starting this early in the day or early in the weekend is important so the basics of driving fast become incognitive thought meaning you just do it instead of thinking about while driving to drive.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:15 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
ProCoach is giving some very great insight into this topic. My first thoughts upon reading your original post was from your description your eyes are not looking far enough out in the high speed turns. Eyes close to the car and the speed create an uneasy feeling of going faster than you really are. This illusion tells your brain you can't make the turn so you must slow down.

One of the first things I usually try to do with anyone I work with in coaching is to talk about what we are going to right out of the gate. The very first thing I like to do with my clients is to have them practice eye exercises in the car in their first few laps. Don't focus on the speed of the turn but focus on where your eyes are looking ahead. Scan around with your eyes through this turn while keeping your main focus out as far as you can see. Doing this while driving at 80% of your ability will help you to create the muscle memory in your eyes of where to look. Starting this early in the day or early in the weekend is important so the basics of driving fast become incognitive thought meaning you just do it instead of thinking about while driving to drive.
Great exercise, Seth
I actually try something like that while skiing.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread has kind of devolved into something that probably isn't going to be very helpful to the OP, but after re-reading the initial post again and if I was having this problem:

If you're flat through the corner and not using all the track-out, who cares.

If you're not flat through the corner and not using all the track-out, go faster. I can't tell you where specifically without seeing data, but you're probably over slowing on entry AND too late back to power because your brain is telling you you're on the limit (been there).

ps: it's a slow day at work. :-)

-mike
Wait, you have time to work?....
Old 04-24-2017, 11:48 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Just an update - relocated AIM Solo higher and against A-pillar so that it neither blocks view nor makes the eyes go down, and things improved. Could be placebo effect just from better awareness of the issue, but in either case this discussion was helpful.

But yes, looking at the data, I saw exactly what fleadh described - too much braking at turn entry creating an artificially low limit, and thus delaying throttle application. So kind of a double-whammy. I still do it, but more symmetrical now - left turns improved to the level of right turns :-)

Quick Reply: Vision issue with long or high speed corners