Sponsored by:

PCA Golden Gate Region Club Race.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 02:06 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Paul: Was sad to see you and Kim registered for PCA when I'm registered for NASA. We'll see who signs up for the race at Sears Point. If the other GTL drivers don't sign-up, I'll bail and head to Thunderhill (easy to do with NASA's cancellation policy).

I'll miss the PCA Laguna Race and Sears Point races as Stephanie and I will be in Italy. Any chance you two will do Road America this year? It looks like we could have up to 8 folk heading out this year (I'll be one of them).
how are you getting to Road America? JW? i might be interested in joining if you need one more to lower travel costs.
Sorry to hear you wont be at Laguna! maybe a PCA or NASA event this year.
it was fun running with you last season!

Mark
Old 02-27-2017, 07:34 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, will have JWE do transport and support. Rich said we may have 8 guys going this year (2 rigs)! If interested, contact Rich Walton at Jerry Woods Enterprises.

I'm looking forward to it, this will be my 4th trip out. I'm also trying to get a group to join me at Miller (or whatever it's called now) for the PCA race 2 weeks after RA. Went there 2 years ago and had a great time until a shock broke and I had to withdraw. Like RA, Miller is a track that favors higher HP cars and I suffer from HP envy but still manage to pester the cup cars a bit.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:42 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

We'll see who signs up for the race at Sears Point. If the other GTL drivers don't sign-up, I'll bail and head to Thunderhill (easy to do with NASA's cancellation policy).
I am signed up for Sears Point, Tom. I have a fresh engine that is strong and ready to go!!
Old 03-02-2017, 10:46 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn. I thought I could pay extra to limit your HP to 300. I need all the help I can get to be competitive with you. Looking forward to it, my races will be sparse this year.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:47 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
it's unfortunate that all the west coast Porsche racing clubs can't get along. Think how much fun it would be to combine groups and run 200+ car race fields!
Not true!... As you know the POC and PCA-SDR have been working together really well and for the 2nd year in a row the POC will be joining PCA-SDR running a race inside a race at the annual Festival of Speed at ACS in April. We brought over 125 drivers to the event last year.

We've also moved our annual Nov BW event to March 11-12 (cheap plug) this year to avoid our 2 clubs being there on back-to-back weekends thereby drawing drivers from each other. We've also discussed running together at BW and that may happen in 2018....
Old 03-03-2017, 11:31 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 114 Posts

Slight progress, yes, JR. I was at FOS the past few years and had a great time. Well run event for PCA and POC racers and DEers! But I'm talking about more than just one race. Wouldn't it be great if we had a full on Porsche Racing League out here with 10 - 12 events a year at 7 - 8 tracks for 200+ drivers, kind of like the rest of the country. I've enjoyed racing with POC, PRC and PCA. Amazingly similar!
Old 03-03-2017, 11:37 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Agree too many organizations for one make of car.

East coast just has PCA I believe, makes it a bit easier
Old 03-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
Slight progress, yes, JR. I was at FOS the past few years and had a great time. Well run event for PCA and POC racers and DEers! But I'm talking about more than just one race. Wouldn't it be great if we had a full on Porsche Racing League out here with 10 - 12 events a year at 7 - 8 tracks for 200+ drivers, kind of like the rest of the country. I've enjoyed racing with POC, PRC and PCA. Amazingly similar!
Originally Posted by audipwr1
Agree too many organizations for one make of car.

East coast just has PCA I believe, makes it a bit easier
It's kind of a pain to pay twice for memberships and licenses but it may actually be a better situation for the consumer. The way I look at it I have my choice of way more events at different tracks, different dates, and different entry fees. One monopoly "Porsche League" with 12 races a year sounds like a step backwards. If my schedule prevents me from attending some of those races, I wouldn't have other events to replace them with. With no competition what's stopping the sanctioning body from increasing the prices? With fewer races and more drivers events would sell out quickly (like the Festival of Speed does) leaving a lot of people on the side lines, and/or run groups would be added and we'd all lose track time.

This year the POC has 11 events, PCA "west coast series" has 10 events, the PCA SDR time trial series has 7 events, and the PRC has 7 events. Why trade 28 opportunities to race (or 35+ to TT) for 10-12 events with less track time and higher fees? No thanks.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:44 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Good points, Cory. I was thinking more about getting larger car counts to race with. It's a balance between # of races vs # of racers, I guess
Old 03-03-2017, 02:13 PM
winders
Race Car

Damn. I thought I could pay extra to limit your HP to 300. I need all the help I can get to be competitive with you. Looking forward to it, my races will be sparse this year.
Give me enough money and I will set my rev limiter to 6500 RPM. Heck, not only would I lose power, it would make my gear ratios inappropriate too!

I am looking forward to the race weekend too. As you know, I didn't race last year after my engine kerf*ckle at Laguna Seca in May. So I am chomping at the bit!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Between PRC/NASA, PCA and POC we have plenty of races at plenty of tracks. It seems it's more a matter of personal preference and licensing.

I'm agnostic but as a Nor Cal guy, it's easy to do events at Sears Point, Thunderhill and Laguna Seca. Branching out to do Fontana (always great fun), Miller or others just takes a bit of commitment. It's just disappointing when the clubs have events at different venues on the same weekend. Nothing reduces car counts more than competition on the same weekend as there are only so many cars available.

And Scott, no way am I paying you to go slow. I simply need to invest in coaching the nut behind the wheel to go faster. I too am looking forward to SP.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:35 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

lets start with a spec boxster joint championships, 3-4 race with POC & PCA, need to check the dates so we can still run for annual points in our clubs
Old 03-03-2017, 11:55 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Thread starter here
O love for the 944 signup at this time. Kind of dumb for me to come all the way from Seattle with my 944.

Last edited by autosea; 03-04-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:31 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by SoClose
We'll be at Thunderhill this year- never been before.
Looks like a pretty fun track.
It is an extremely fun track. I like it more than Laguna Seca but not quite as much as Sears Point.

Here is a decent lap from a car kind of like yours:

Old 03-06-2017, 11:54 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

For anyone racing Thunderhill 3/18-19, HOD has the track the day before, Friday, 3/17. Makes for a good test and tune day. HOD has agreed to offer a $50 discount to all Porsche drivers for the day. Contact Dev Clough at dev@hookedondriving.com.

Quick Reply: PCA Golden Gate Region Club Race.