Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Continental GTD Tire Issues

I just saw this article on the GTD wet tires getting a redesign. http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/co...d-tire-issues/

Interesting quote on the cause of most failures. Something most folks can learn from at all levels...

According to the memo, the root cause of the tire issues pointed to shoulder fatigue, largely due to under-inflated tires.

“Changing conditions made it difficult to set cold pressure and achieve hot pressure targets,” the document says. “While we recommend minimum hot pressures in our Roar Bulletin, it is not a straightforward process on how to achieve them.

“The pressure build is dependent on the track temperature and prevailing conditions, which changed drastically early in the race.”

Continental says that the teams not affected by any issues — the majority the class — protected their tires during low pressure windows, avoided curbing and utilized wet patches on the track to keep the tire from overheating.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:34 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't Mike Hedlund post something about tire temps in the GT3R? Would like to hear his take on this.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:52 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Didn't Mike Hedlund post something about tire temps in the GT3R? Would like to hear his take on this.
He tweeted this article earlier today;

https://twitter.com/mike_hedlund/status/832402022309584896
Old 02-17-2017, 12:04 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a blowout in the rain, at night, on the banking.... so I probably shouldn't say anything about the tires. :-)

-mike
Old 02-17-2017, 10:17 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Been there done that.

Cold morning (not freezing) at Lime Rock Park. Trying to get heat in my tires and hit some curbing. Tire split along the sidewall.

I'm more of a 5 - 6 warm up laps and stay off the curbs kind of guy now.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:47 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Originally Posted by fleadh
I had a blowout in the rain, at night, on the banking.... so I probably shouldn't say anything about the tires. :-)

-mike
Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Been there done that.

Cold morning (not freezing) at Lime Rock Park. Trying to get heat in my tires and hit some curbing. Tire split along the sidewall.

I'm more of a 5 - 6 warm up laps and stay off the curbs kind of guy now.
Which brand of tires? And what was the ambient temperature?

This is very curious stuff for me. I've never really run much in colder weather.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:00 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Which brand of tires? And what was the ambient temperature?

This is very curious stuff for me. I've never really run much in colder weather.
Hoosier R7 and it was a balmy 50 degrees.

When its really cold I normally try to start a little higher and do a series of bleed downs rather than starting low and trying to do one hot bleed down.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:27 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Hoosier R7 and it was a balmy 50 degrees.

When its really cold I normally try to start a little higher and do a series of bleed downs rather than starting low and trying to do one hot bleed down.
I'm taking notes. I rarely run in cold temps but I'd like to start squeezing in a few more track days on the fringes of he season.

Good thread. I hope others chime in.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I'm taking notes. I rarely run in cold temps but I'd like to start squeezing in a few more track days on the fringes of he season.

Good thread. I hope others chime in.
The first thing to remember is that a tire creates it's strength from the air pressure in it creating tension in the belts. So, you have to have enough pressure to create the strength when you start out or only drive the tire to the level of strength that the tire has.

So, on a cold day, you will not get the build you normally would. To make up for that, you usually start with a higher initial pressure. If you start with a regular warm pressure, say what you would use on a 80*F ambient day when it's only 50*F, you won't get to your target and run the risk of overstressing and damaging the tire.

For anyone who paid attention to Deflategate, use the ideal gas law to your benefit.

Quick Reply: Continental GTD Tire Issues