Sponsored by:

Harness Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 01:15 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Harness Questions

Getting ready to pull the trigger on some 6 pt harnesses on my 987.2 CS dual use car. Seats are a pair of OMP WRC - R

1. Regarding "equal restraints" for the passenger/instructor seat, do I get the 3" shoulder straps or the 2/3 Hans specific shoulder straps. I'm leaning toward the 2/3 for the driver side, so concerned about instructor not having a HANS if i put 2/3 on passenger side.

2. Profi or Hybrid? All the hype on the Schroth website about the Hybrid sounds good. I just don't like the idea of the camlock hanging from the right shoulder strap when not in use (i.e when using the 3 points on the street). Anyone have experience with this? How do you secure it when not in use? I'd rather not getting smacked in the teeth by a swinging cam lock.

Thanks guys
Old 04-18-2017, 01:23 PM
rellim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He sells it and lived it ,and keeps up with all safety gear ,try US Race Gear
link:

http://www.usracegear.com/contact
Old 04-18-2017, 01:47 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
Getting ready to pull the trigger on some 6 pt harnesses on my 987.2 CS dual use car. Seats are a pair of OMP WRC - R

1. Regarding "equal restraints" for the passenger/instructor seat, do I get the 3" shoulder straps or the 2/3 Hans specific shoulder straps. I'm leaning toward the 2/3 for the driver side, so concerned about instructor not having a HANS if i put 2/3 on passenger side.

2. Profi or Hybrid? All the hype on the Schroth website about the Hybrid sounds good. I just don't like the idea of the camlock hanging from the right shoulder strap when not in use (i.e when using the 3 points on the street). Anyone have experience with this? How do you secure it when not in use? I'd rather not getting smacked in the teeth by a swinging cam lock.

Thanks guys
As a dual use car, are you just disabling the seat airbag?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:50 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

For my Cayman R I installed 2in/3in on the drivers side and 3in on the passenger side. My research at the time indicated the 3in would work fine with a HANS and the 2in/3in were not recommended to be used without a HANS. Have not had any issues with that slight difference with several groups (PCA, Chin). I went with the Profi (sport bucket seats). The lap belts are "pull down" which was a little awkward at first but with some practice I can get them snug quickly.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

3" works with a HANS but 2" works better. I'd go 2'" both sides.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 3" both sides - 2" would be a bit easier - but if you ever wear them on the street - 3" is more comfortable.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:18 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
3" works with a HANS but 2" works better. I'd go 2'" both sides.
What if my instructor doesn't use a HANS?
Old 04-18-2017, 04:19 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zedcat
For my Cayman R I installed 2in/3in on the drivers side and 3in on the passenger side. My research at the time indicated the 3in would work fine with a HANS and the 2in/3in were not recommended to be used without a HANS. Have not had any issues with that slight difference with several groups (PCA, Chin). I went with the Profi (sport bucket seats). The lap belts are "pull down" which was a little awkward at first but with some practice I can get them snug quickly.
My research indicates the profi has "flexi belt" which allows you to reverse the pull direction. From their website:

"Another feature unique to the Profi Series 2" lap belts is the "Flexi Belt". The End Fittings and Cam Latches are wrapped into the harness, making it so that the lap belt can be changed from a Pull Up configuration to a Pull Down. This allows you to set the belt up just the way you want it for your specific situation. It also allows for Bolt In brackets to be wrapped in for the lap belts if needed. Snap in brackets come standard on the laps."
Old 04-18-2017, 04:23 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 3Series
As a dual use car, are you just disabling the seat airbag?
I'm not up to that yet. I have a Durametric so I might disable dash airbags at track and re-enable before heading home.

We'll see how tedious that gets.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:47 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

2" both sides, anyone getting in your car using a harness should use a HANS driver or passenger
Old 04-18-2017, 04:58 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
What if my instructor doesn't use a HANS?
I doubt this will happen, but if it does, ask the CDI to give you an instructor WITH a HANS. If I were instructing, I wouldn't ride in a car with harnesses w/o my HANS. Just seems dangerous. I had heard the PCA was going to require HANS for anyone in a car with harnesses, but I guess that hasn't happened (yet?).
Old 04-19-2017, 09:50 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys
Old 04-19-2017, 10:31 AM
CrookedCommie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I regret cheaping out on the passenger side with the Schroth Clubman - the 3" lap belts are super uncomfortable, and the lack of adjustability on the anti-sub belt makes it really hard to setup passengers. I have had a PCA instructor get in the car without a Hans - not that I was going to push the car with him in it, but sometimes things happen outside of your control, so it made me a bit nervous.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:48 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat

If you have the Schroth Profi belt, the Flexi laps can be configured as pull up. You re-wrap the hardware to make them pull up instead of pull down.

Here's the video from their website

https://www.schrothracing.com/instructions

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 04-19-2017, 11:51 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
If you have the Schroth Profi belt, the Flexi laps can be configured as pull up. You re-wrap the hardware to make them pull up instead of pull down.

Here's the video from their website

https://www.schrothracing.com/instructions
Thanks, I should have described more fully, I have the GT3 specific belts on Porsche sport bucket seats (AKA GT2 seats) with the sewn in eyelets that mount to the seat. These are pull down only. Not a big deal I'm used to them.

Quick Reply: Harness Questions