Sponsored by:

Driver & Instructor killed at SpeedVegas

Old 02-15-2017, 10:48 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,234 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
But what surprised me when reading the reviews was all of the people raving about going 150+ MPH. To me, putting a 1/2 mile straight on a track purposely built for this sort of experience IS the design flaw. 100+ is plenty exhilarating to the average layman and can get you in plenty of trouble. But 150, especially with the type of people you will attract in Vegas, is just bad judgement in my opinion.
That is just reckless. 150+ mph?!! I'm doing that at Daytona on the banking and my hand movements are tiny. Anything more and you zip out of control. To let someone with zero experience drive that fast shows a stunning lack of brains.

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Absolutely true, but a fireproof racing suit would not have made a difference on this day or in such incidents. Devil's Advocate for the constant "we should all wear racing suits because fire doesn't know it's DE vs. racing". Let's not fool ourselves (or take the risk of potential fire lightly!!).
I think that everyone at the track should always wear a race suit. It may not be feasible but at the higher run groups it should be mandatory just like at race events.

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
At more tracks then you think, corner workers are prohibited from going over the wall to deal with a car on fire. The protocol is for them to call in the fire and have the track fire truck deal with it. You are on your own to get out of the car if it's on fire. There is a reason that driving suits, gloves and shoes are made of Nomex or similar.
Very true and scary.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:58 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
At more tracks then you think, corner workers are prohibited from going over the wall to deal with a car on fire. The protocol is for them to call in the fire and have the track fire truck deal with it. You are on your own to get out of the car if it's on fire. There is a reason that driving suits, gloves and shoes are made of Nomex or similar.
REALLY!!! I thought that was why they had fire extinguishers, so they could save lives...
Old 02-15-2017, 11:38 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I think that everyone at the track should always wear a race suit. It may not be feasible but at the higher run groups it should be mandatory just like at race events.
I respect your personal/professional believe.

Keep in mind that the HPDE program is there to help people learn about and experience their cars in a controlled, safe?, environment. Too much regulation, like a government, will limit the intent and foster elitism. I realize that there are regions in your neck of the woods that enhance the requirements per run group. Is that due to their size, their personal believes, their tracks, etc? Too much big brother, especially when it extends outside of their sphere of influence, is detrimental to the intent of the program IMHO.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:42 AM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
^^This^^

And at the risk of contradicting many well established marque club ITS and DE programs, the above in bold is exactly why right seat instructors CANNOT have and WILL NEVER have complete control and responsibility for what goes on in the car in DE or track day environment. To suggest otherwise is to mislead the instructor corps.
Exactly why I gave up instructing. After three weekends in a row in 600+ HP cars, I decided things can happen much too quickly. All it takes is a twitch of the right foot. I can't control that from the passenger seat.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This- "right seat instructors CANNOT have and WILL NEVER have complete control and responsibility for what goes on in the car in DE or track day environment. To suggest otherwise is to mislead the instructor corps." Each group has their challenges. We all know the risks vs rewards.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

We also know culture and preparation of both the students and instructors counts for a lot.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-17-2017, 10:00 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,739 Likes on 2,172 Posts

We also know culture and preparation of both the students and instructors counts for a lot.
Yes, all the factors need to work together as a system - organizational culture, management team, instructor training, structure of run groups, event format, morning meetings, checkout procedures, tech requirements, safety equipment, track design and runoffs, pit operations, corner workers, emergency response, etc.

The best organizations have honed their system through experience and a continuing commitment to managing risk well. Chin is at the top of my list in this regard, and of course there are other good ones as well.

A minority of organizations lack experience and/or their system is compromised by factors such as profit motive, so they expose people to excessive risk and also contribute to giving DE a bad name. I've tried a few of these and will never go back.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:54 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

IMHO, a safety culture is the single most powerful safety "device" we have at our disposal.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:19 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
FWIW, it's my impression that we have mandated fire extinguishers for DE to put out OTHER cars on fire. Not your own.

If a car catches fire, you've got a bunch of people with extinguishers on the scene way before the fire crew can get there.
You would think the corner workers would help, eh? Something broke on my suspension at WGI and caused my rear left tire to catch fire and then ignite my inner plastic wheel well. As soon as I saw the smoke I pulled out after the bust stop onto the nascar straight and stopped at the corner worker booth (we were running the classic boot so no cars in that section). The corner worker didn't help me at all! I managed to limp the car to the pits only to find the rear end on fire!! Grrrr...
Old 02-17-2017, 06:37 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
IMHO, a safety culture is the single most powerful safety "device" we have at our disposal.
+1

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yes, all the factors need to work together as a system - organizational culture, management team, instructor training, structure of run groups, event format, morning meetings, checkout procedures, tech requirements, safety equipment, track design and runoffs, pit operations, corner workers, emergency response, etc.

The best organizations have honed their system through experience and a continuing commitment to managing risk well. Chin is at the top of my list in this regard, and of course there are other good ones as well.

A minority of organizations lack experience and/or their system is compromised by factors such as profit motive, so they expose people to excessive risk and also contribute to giving DE a bad name. I've tried a few of these and will never go back.
I just got done exploring the possibility of being a guest instructor with another organization. I turned them down and in response received what I call a very unprofessional, not respectful response.
I agree that we are all proud of where and how we learned; thats why I became an instructor - to give back.

This whole interchange to me just confirmed the oft spoken adage: its the people, not the cars.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:13 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
I respect your personal/professional believe.

Keep in mind that the HPDE program is there to help people learn about and experience their cars in a controlled, safe?, environment. Too much regulation, like a government, will limit the intent and foster elitism. I realize that there are regions in your neck of the woods that enhance the requirements per run group. Is that due to their size, their personal believes, their tracks, etc? Too much big brother, especially when it extends outside of their sphere of influence, is detrimental to the intent of the program IMHO.
Foster elitism? C'mon!

If a driver keeps at it long enough, and progresses to a higher run group, they should buy a race suit or go play golf.

I ain't in charge so its only my opinion.

By the way, I'm a stone cold libertarian and don't like anyone telling me what to do. But this comes down to dollars and sense.

Some idiot with more money than skill is going to wrap his car around a guard rail on cold tires in the first session one morning and french fry himself. Insurance will get cancelled and that ends DE.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,739 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Some idiot with more money than skill is going to wrap his car around a guard rail on cold tires in the first session one morning and french fry himself. Insurance will get cancelled and that ends DE.
I could be wrong, and maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning, but I don't think one horrific incident like that can sink the DE ship. This is a decentralized and self-regulating sport with thousands of drivers collectively doing about a hundred million miles a year at many dozens of tracks across the US.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

I could be wrong, and maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning, but I don't think one horrific incident like that can sink the DE ship. This is a decentralized and self-regulating sport with thousands of drivers collectively doing about a hundred million miles a year at many dozens of tracks across the US.
Yep.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:27 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

One incident is not going to sink the sport. However, if there is a spate of bad luck, its not as far fetched as you think.

My industry had some large losses in 2008 and our bonding went way up and several insurance underwriters exited the business. The additional insurance premiums drove some of my competitors out of business. This is an industry which is bigger than DE.

Lockton, a brand well known in DE circles, is one of those companies that I work with. They raised their rates, lowered their policy limits, and defined their risk more narrowly. All that happened from one year of bad claims.

I'm not trying to say the sky is falling. I'm not trying to say that anyone who doesn't own a race suit is going to kill the sport. But what I am saying is that we have to keep a close eye on safety because, at the very least, it will affect the overall cost of these events if insurance premiums rise due to large payouts.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:32 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

That's your opinion not based on facts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver & Instructor killed at SpeedVegas