Driver & Instructor killed at SpeedVegas

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:01 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Sad story.

Went there and drove the F 458 Cup.

The short DE virtual training is okay for seasoned drivers used to going fast in high performance cars.

When it came time for the on track session, the pool of drivers included a bunch of partying bachelor/bachelorette Vegas tourists. The instructor I had couldn't have been much older than 20 and couldn't speak English very well. At one point he grabbed the wheel from me to put the car on a lower line on a curve, I saw a stalled car facing the wrong way on the curve that he didn't. Cut the session short, just too much risk for my taste.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

More here:

http://www.bobbarnardtrackengineerin...72003/tag/nfpa

Did you know that this fellow was the designer of THIS track?!?!?

http://www.bobbarnardtrackengineering.com/
Old 02-13-2017, 12:09 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Given there was a fire it's hard with the exceptionally limited amount of information we have to assign blame to the driver, the instructor, the track and the car itself. Which happened first? Did a malfunction of the car cause the accident and the fire or did a driver error cause the accident which caused the fire?

Chances are we will never know. But it is terrible for all involved.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Horrible tragedy .........I am sure there was a lot that went wrong that attributed to this horrendous tragedy
Old 02-13-2017, 12:31 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... how does a car hit a tire wall (soft) and burst into flames?

Just finished equipping my HPDE with roll bar, seat back braces, 6 point harness, etc... Now I feel like we should all have built in fire suppression too...

At some point, insurance for the track owners is going to get really expensive...
Old 02-13-2017, 12:31 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Horrible tragedy .........I am sure there was a lot that went wrong that attributed to this horrendous tragedy
+997
Old 02-13-2017, 12:51 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I instructed at an exotics event once, and that one was very controlled behind a pace car. Even so, I vowed never to repeat the experience.

I assume the instructor was "one of us"--a local club instructor having fun and earning lunch money for his effort. Our hearts break for all involved.

BTW, this is the third exotics experience death, if we include the dopes racing the ferrari's around the meadowlands parking ramps, killing a passing motorcyclist.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,793 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
More here:

http://www.bobbarnardtrackengineerin...72003/tag/nfpa

Did you know that this fellow was the designer of THIS track?!?!?

http://www.bobbarnardtrackengineering.com/
I found that out this morning. He's certainly qualified, so it would be an unfortunate irony if the design of this track was flawed.

It's also possible that the design was fine, but the track safety features weren't built per the design, or the safety features were changed after the initial construction. It's not uncommon for track owners to continue to change safety features, for various reasons.

But to be clear, I have no specific information on the safety, or lack thereof, of this particular track, and my comment was intended to be a general comment.

The aspect of this incident which first jumps out to me is that the car caught on fire. I've seen lots of streets cars crash at tracks, but only a small fraction of them caught on fire.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:14 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

One name floats around here:

Friends confirm to News 3 the driving instructor killed was 59-year-old Gil Ben Kely. The longtime instructor penned his two-time battle with breast cancer online. Friends describe him as a “fighter” who “really lived.”

Police say they believe the victims died upon impact.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Damn...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-13-2017, 02:09 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Exotic car rentals can demand a VERY strong Instructor. Considering the mentality at times and VERY capable machines. RIP.
I agree.. maybe there is a way to have some type of control for the instructor that can help in these situations. maybe only use supercars drive by wire so the instructor can take over with a special control override system.
dangerous situation: guy pays money, wants to get his money's worth, instructor wants to teach and keep driver and car safe. guy thinks he is better than he is and quickly gets over his head before instructor can respond..........bad things happen!
So sad to hear... sadder for families for such a senseless death especially for the instructor. ugggg!
Old 02-13-2017, 02:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Given there was a fire it's hard with the exceptionally limited amount of information we have to assign blame to the driver, the instructor, the track and the car itself. Which happened first? Did a malfunction of the car cause the accident and the fire or did a driver error cause the accident which caused the fire?

Chances are we will never know. But it is terrible for all involved.
The real chance is that the combination of speed, high powered foreign car, inexperience and the instructor not able to control the car, caused the outcome. after all... thousands of guys run millions of laps with out incidence. You put all the risky things possible in one driving experience and the chances for bad things to happen go through the roof. Ive instructed with fast guys before , in THEIR car, and have had small mistakes make big problems (with no one getting hurt) It's a shot across the bow to bring back the student's speed when I'm (youre) in the car as an instructor, and let them work on 9-10s on their own time. just not worth it, especially at this level. (basically a quick joyride)
Old 02-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

http://malebreastcancercoalition.org.../gil-ben-kely/

This is an interesting story about the instructor's background and his being a breast cancer survivor. What a shame.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:52 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,286 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I don't know if it would have changed the outcome for this horrible accident but it is also a reminder that once you get out of the green run group you should start looking for a fire suit.

Fire doesn't know it is only a practice session and not a race.

Tragic.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:03 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Damn...
Did you know him?

Quick Reply: Driver & Instructor killed at SpeedVegas