Sponsored by:

New to Porsche and signed up for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:55 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default New to Porsche and signed up for HPDE

I have owned several performance cars over past few years but nothing I've owned handles like the 991.2 - C2S - 7M that I purchased in January. The spec on this car helps to make it a candidate for track experimentation (PDCC/SPASM and Sport Package).

I have already installed expel PPF over front, hood, rockers and front/back of rear wheels. I recently signed up for a HPDE (novice) and am excited about participating. I do have a little angst over what I may encounter with regard to potential damage while participating in the event. I have always been meticulous about maintaining all of my cars, even my wife's toyota avalon.

So here I am with a few questions which reflect my paranoia:

Can I expect to sustain rock chip damage to the film/paint from driving novice class?

Should I expect any appreciable tire/brake wear from novice class?

Should I add tape to the bumper/headlights prior to attending?

I don't expect to encounter any major damage while participating in novice class but I guess anything is possible. Positive reinforcement would help

I looked up track insurance and the cost is almost twice the cost of the HPDE, but I consider it a good idea to procure. Any comments?

I also have the cost of a helmet to consider. In the event I don't find track time intoxicating and want more, is there a market for used helmets?

Sorry for all of the noob questions but I am a wee bit concerned. This 6 figure car is my daily driver and even though I am fortunate enough to afford it, I am a bit paranoid.

I really do want to learn to drive this amazing car better which is my primary goal of attending the HPDE. I would appreciate any comments (especially reassuring ones) to get me in a better place mentally.

Thanks,

Al

Last edited by AlBinVA; 02-12-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Will this be a PCA event? What track?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:04 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Yes, PCA event at Dominion Raceway.

Lucky enough to have 2 nice tracks close to home (VIR and DR)

I should also add that I have great confidence in the local PCA instructors.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:44 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

You and the car will be fine in your first track experience.

But if you find yourself bitten by the bug and want to continue, you should be aware of RULE #1 of track days: "Never track a car you can't afford to fix." Translation: **** happens.

Last edited by PLNewman; 02-18-2017 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:11 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

**** can happen, but I suspect at worst you might experience is some rubber marks on the hood of your car. Mothers R3 works great to get rid of it.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:12 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Great questions and welcome.
Cars in the novice run groups are very unlikely to be damaged, but never say never. I suspect most novice drivers aren't even aware of track insurance.
Re cosmetic damage, your car is probably safer at and on the track than it is on the street.
Biggest risk is you will love it, start wanting to modify your car, realize you should have bought a track car, spend too much time on Rennlist - and have a big silly grin on your face.
Have fun, make new friends, and trust your instructor.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:22 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Not sure about your region, but I've known some that have loaner helmets for noobs as long as you get in early
Old 02-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

If money is less of an object than peace of mind then as Rick mentioned most first timers or novices in general have never heard of track insurance. Remember that your street policy is not going to cover any damage at the track however unlikely it is to happen in the novice group.

My thought process has always been unless you can afford to walk away from it insure it but like I said, that's just me.

At the end of the day you are there to learn awareness, control and performance driving in as controlled an environment as a track can be. Just stay within your limits, don't overthink it but make sure you respect it and enjoy it!!!
Old 02-12-2017, 12:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
At the end of the day you are there to learn awareness, control and performance driving in as controlled an environment as a track can be. Just stay within your limits, don't overthink it but make sure you respect it and enjoy it!!!
^^This^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
pop.tremuloides (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Also, best thing you can do is communicate... Both with yourself and your instructor.

With yourself refers to repetition. Repeat what you hear to yourself. Helps you retain.
With your instructor refers to what's working, what's not, where you are comfortable, where you are unsure, where you are uncomfortable. It's how they will adapt the day to you.

Finally, nothing wrong with letting others stage before you and going out towards the back end of the group. It will mean less driving your mirrors first couple of laps and by the time you do start to see people in your rear view it's because they are quicker and caught you so you don't think about it just waive them by

But by all means, again just my .02 but communication is the key to getting the most out of it and retaining what your instructor is teaching you.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:22 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Thanks all for the comments. I am feeling less twisted now.

Al
Old 02-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

For YOUR peace of mind, get DE Insurance and enjoy the day My bet is that you will love the experience.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
Thanks all for the comments. I am feeling less twisted now.

Al
Be sure to check in with my friend, Jon Felton, with the Dominion Raceway track and a great guy. You'll have a great weekend.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:40 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
For YOUR peace of mind, get DE Insurance and enjoy the day My bet is that you will love the experience.
This. While the chances of damage in the beginner run group is very low I never felt like I wasted a few hundred bucks on insurance at the end of the weekend damage free.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:58 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Biggest risk is you will love it, start wanting to modify your car, realize you should have bought a track car, spend too much time on Rennlist - and have a big silly grin on your face.
I resemble that remark...

Welcome to the drug more powerful than cocaine. But a lot more socially acceptable. I'll be at VIR in mid-March for a 3 day DE. Hope to see you there.

Jeff

Quick Reply: New to Porsche and signed up for HPDE