Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Porsche and signed up for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

I had no issues taking my Boxster to WGI for a PCA DE.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:39 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by gearFX
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between the Boxster and S2000 roll bars? I thought "triangulated" meant 3-point, but aren't the Boxster and S2000 roll bars just 2-point roll "hoops"?
boxsters are actually 4 points. they have rear legs that go down towards the rear chassis.

I intend to track a 986 boxster this year. I bought a brey krause rollbar extension, which should be sufficient to pass muster for most tracks as I pass the broomstick test.

P.S., I bought a Zamp helmet, SA2015, for $180. If bell fits you, this should also. Comfy for me and quality appears just fine. not the lightest, but oh well
Old 03-15-2017, 05:31 PM
somdcroc
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
I have yet another question.

Tire pressure on the track.

I have a 991.2 C2S with 20" wheels. Since it is my daily driver, I am currently running a more comfortable pressure of 38 rear and 32 front.

I usually add/delete air pressure while the car has been sitting in the garage for a while. My first track event is 40 miles from my house which will be reached via I95 at prevailing speeds. My thought would be to adjust tire pressure to the recommended "track" pressure" on the morning of the event in my garage.

Please comment if this is the correct procedure for adjusting tire pressure and what the recommended tire pressure for the event should be.

Al
Al, be sure to talk to your instructor about tire pressure questions and such. He will show you whatt to look for and you'll be checking after every session.

Also, please remember that although PCA has a minimum set of requirements for HPDE, the regions can and do have requirements over and above the PCA requirements. We (PCA First Settlers) have our own specific pre-event Tech Inspection form and require this pre-event inspection to be accomplished by a professional mechanic or shop and they will fill out and sign our unique region form. When you get to the track (you can come the night before or the morning of), you will need to sign in at registration and then go through the daily ritual of a track tech inspection as well. For your first one you must sign and turn in the form to our Tech inspection team at the track. We have the answers to the questions you have--don't be afraid to email me or our Tech Inspection chief, or your instructor. Be sure to pay attention to the schedule. (print an extra copy in case you lose one but we will also have the schedule on-line using the "TrackKeeper" website that is dynamic. You have mandatory meetings and classes to attend. Please don't over think this--its supposed to be fun. We will ensure you do the right things and have a great time.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:40 PM
somdcroc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TAL2GK
This is a great thread. I don't want to hijack but no point in starting my own. I'm a PCA member and considering doing my first event at VIR. I spent track time during my PEC delivery in a new C2S but it's a whole other deal when considering tracking MY brand new car.

Based on the checklist above I should be ok with a cabriolet since we have deployable roll bars, right?

Other than that, it's a matter of whether I'm willing to take mine out there when the car is five months old and I still owe half of MSRP.
VIR started cracking down on their long standing ban on cabs and convertibles without "fixed roll-bars or hoops" (no factory pop-up bars allowed) that meet the broomstick test with helmeted driver and passenger seated last season and they just sent out a letter about a week ago to 2017 renters. Other items in their letter of requirements that are of interest: No short sleeve shirts and track modified or race car drivers "should" wear a fire suit. Other tracks have other rules or allowances. Check with your region and/or the track.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:48 PM
somdcroc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TAL2GK
Closing the loop here. I just heard back from the regional PCA Rep that no cabriolets allowed unless they have aftermarket roll cages. ����

I have a highly capable sports car and nowhere to legally stretch her legs. Any tracks in the region allow stock cabs?
As far as I know neither Dominion nor Summit Point have the same rules as VIR. However, being a flagger at SCCA events I will say I have seen enough rollovers (during races--not HPDE) to understand that roll-overs are very fast and very violent events that I do not wish to see again. Do your self a favor and consider either a fixed roll-bar or buy a hard top. There is a Facebook page called " 757 Porsche Parts Posse" that has a used hard top for 996/997 cabs for sale now (its in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia)
Old 03-16-2017, 11:26 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by somdcroc
As far as I know neither Dominion nor Summit Point have the same rules as VIR. However, being a flagger at SCCA events I will say I have seen enough rollovers (during races--not HPDE) to understand that roll-overs are very fast and very violent events that I do not wish to see again. Do your self a favor and consider either a fixed roll-bar or buy a hard top. There is a Facebook page called " 757 Porsche Parts Posse" that has a used hard top for 996/997 cabs for sale now (its in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia)
His is actually a 991 since he said he had delivery at PEC which wasn't available for the 996/7 models.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:19 AM
cains10
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

PCA HPDE rules allow cabs with top down if you have arm restraints. PCA HPDE rules allow cabs with pop-up protection, not sure which models this covers. But I have done HPDEs with a 997.2. And a 987 Boxster S. Most folks recommend top up no matter what. Now then, you have to understand each tracks rules, which may be more or less restrictive.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche and signed up for HPDE