Sponsored by:

Daytona RSR Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Daytona RSR Brakes

Anyone know why Porsche switched from PFC to AP & Brembo on the RSR this year?

The GTD cars were still running PFC but the RSRs were shod with AP calipers and Brembo rotors.

Last edited by Apex996; 02-01-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:50 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Could be the whole system just works with the RSR specific AP racing floor mounted pedal box. Just a hunch.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

pfc stopped paying porsche
Old 02-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Prior gen RSR ran Brembo calipers.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:50 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
pfc stopped paying porsche
Don't know if this is true, but marketing sure plays a big role. Can't imagine any system on that level of car being heaps better than a competitor's system (be it Bremo, AP, PFC, ....)
Old 02-03-2017, 03:43 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Someone in this thread posted the correct response, and his user name may or may not rhyme with the word snooty.

We did a blog post on the RSR brakes last week in the lead up to the race. The Lexus RC F GT3's are also running the same calipers.

We're just getting ready to launch a complete Essex Designed Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kit for the 986/987 Cayman and Boxster.

You can see all of the details on our front kit in the link above, and they will start shipping within then next 2-3 weeks. The rears will be up on our site soon, and we expect to start shipping the rears before April 1st.

The first two calipers below are the RSR calipers, followed by the front and rear caliper we're using in our 986/987 kits. We're also looking to do similar kits for the 981, 997, and 996 possibly. We just need to get those cars in here to take measurements and see what is possible. If anyone knows of someone interested in letting us measure their car, we will certainly make it worth their while. We currently have a Gen.6 Camaro SS on our lift, but once that's gone in a couple weeks, I'd be very interested in measuring another P car.

Here's the front caliper from the RSR...AP Racing CP6269 Radi-CAL:

Here's the rear...they're running a specially modified variant of the CP6480 Radi-CAL:

Here's the Front CP9660 Radi-CAL we'll be using on the 986/987:

Here's the new CP9451 Radi-CAL we'll be using on the rear of the 986/987:

Here's the other front six piston we frequently use in our aftermarket Competition Kits, the CP9668. This one takes a 25mm thick pad, and also offers the optional quick-change spring clip bridge.

A couple of family shots of the Pro5000R line:

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 02-03-2017, 03:51 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Don't know if this is true, but marketing sure plays a big role. Can't imagine any system on that level of car being heaps better than a competitor's system (be it Bremo, AP, PFC, ....)
I think you'd be very surprised if you saw the actual numbers. AP Racing actually has a fairly large lead on the competition with their patented Radi-CAL designs. You can see some of the history on the design concept, and the impact it's had on racing in this blog post we put together, and in the vid below. The Radi-CAL technology is patented, and has some impressive and quite tangible benefits in terms of stiffness, weight, and cooling capacity. The Radi-CAL is widely considered the most advanced caliper in pro racing right now.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:01 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This can be true, but it's not as if a Ferrari 488 GT3 equipped with Brembo calipers has issues running 24h races.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:10 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Someone in this thread posted the correct response, and his user name may or may not rhyme with the word snooty.

We did a blog post on the RSR brakes last week in the lead up to the race. The Lexus RC F GT3's are also running the same calipers.
But....but....they're not monoblocks like on the 991 GT3

And I prefer to take my entire upright and caliper apart to change the brake pads thankyou very much. Like Porsche intended.

If I was in NC you'd be welcome to my 981 for measurement.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:58 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

What sort of costs for these calipers?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:50 AM
Darkstar1
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 135 Posts

He's never been Snooty to me...
Old 02-06-2017, 04:10 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
But....but....they're not monoblocks like on the 991 GT3

And I prefer to take my entire upright and caliper apart to change the brake pads thankyou very much. Like Porsche intended.

If I was in NC you'd be welcome to my 981 for measurement.
Nice! If I had a caliper on my desk I'd throw it at you...wait a second.

We appreciate the offer on the car. We actually have quite a few people ship us their cars these days. The last two we measured came from FL here to NC. If you can live without your car for a few weeks, you potentially save several thousand dollars.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:59 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Nice! If I had a caliper on my desk I'd throw it at you...wait a second.

We appreciate the offer on the car. We actually have quite a few people ship us their cars these days. The last two we measured came from FL here to NC. If you can live without your car for a few weeks, you potentially save several thousand dollars.
minus the cost of shipping back and forth, minus the cost of wasting gas - break pads - etc, while having fun in a warmer climate. Are those calipers gold plated for those cost savings?

Just having fun with you the same way.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:01 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 333pg333
What sort of costs for these calipers?
The calipers the RSR are running will not bolt to anything else. The spindle on that car is different from all of the other cars in Porsche's lineup. Otherwise we'd be selling a bolt-on kit already! For your info though, the front calipers sell for a little over $3,000 each. Our complete Kit for the front of the 987 is going to retail for $3899...that includes two Radi-CAL calipers, pair of two-piece J Hook discs, brackets, hardware, Spiegler SS brake lines.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:04 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ExMB
minus the cost of shipping back and forth, minus the cost of wasting gas - break pads - etc, while having fun in a warmer climate. Are those calipers gold plated for those cost savings?

Just having fun with you the same way.

Haha...yes, it would definitely make sense for someone in the NE or Midwest to ship us their car right now while the weather stinks! We could have it back to them in time for track season. We cover the shipping costs. Some of the AP Racing calipers are Electroless Nickel plated, not gold!

Quick Reply: Daytona RSR Brakes