Sponsored by:

Daytona RSR Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 05:48 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
The calipers the RSR are running will not bolt to anything else. The spindle on that car is different from all of the other cars in Porsche's lineup. Otherwise we'd be selling a bolt-on kit already! For your info though, the front calipers sell for a little over $3,000 each. Our complete Kit for the front of the 987 is going to retail for $3899...that includes two Radi-CAL calipers, pair of two-piece J Hook discs, brackets, hardware, Spiegler SS brake lines.
You might also want to list what brake pad brand/shape they will accept; unlike the single source mentioned by some others.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:02 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
You might also want to list what brake pad brand/shape they will accept; unlike the single source mentioned by some others.
Our calipers use a pad shape available from every manufacturer in just about all of their compounds. Some of the brands that make the shape are Brembo, Carbotech, Circo, CL Brakes, Cobalt, EBC, Endless, Ferodo, Hawk, Mintex, Pagid, PFC, Porterfield, Project Mu, Raybestos, Wilwood...the list goes on and on.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 02-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

These calipers are the real deal. Installed a set of CP9660 on my M3 and they are incredible. Will be using them on my 987 as well. I don't think there is anything on the market that offers this level of real Motorsport performance for the price.

Shame we can't just upgrade calipers on the GT cars......
Old 02-07-2017, 07:06 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

The calipers the RSR are running will not bolt to anything else. The spindle on that car is different from all of the other cars in Porsche's lineup. Otherwise we'd be selling a bolt-on kit already! For your info though, the front calipers sell for a little over $3,000 each. Our complete Kit for the front of the 987 is going to retail for $3899...that includes two Radi-CAL calipers, pair of two-piece J Hook discs, brackets, hardware, Spiegler SS brake lines.
That's not too bad for the whole front end setup. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:08 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Our calipers use a pad shape available from every manufacturer in just about all of their compounds. Some of the brands that make the shape are Brembo, Carbotech, Circo, CL Brakes, Cobalt, EBC, Endless, Ferodo, Hawk, Mintex, Pagid, PFC, Porterfield, Project Mu, Raybestos, Wilwood...the list goes on and on.
What's your opinion of Circo pads? Lesser known brand but a few people are liking them I've heard.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:06 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That's not too bad for the whole front end setup. Thanks.
Thanks! We believe the pricing is a steal given the quality and durability of what's in the box. To my knowledge, we've never had a single customer tell us that our Essex Designed Competition Brake Kit wasn't worth what they paid for it. The vast majority of them tell us it's the single best track mod they've made to their car.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
What's your opinion of Circo pads? Lesser known brand but a few people are liking them I've heard.
Circo makes very high quality pads. We actually did some testing with them a while back, and were very impressed with what we saw.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:07 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mvez
These calipers are the real deal. Installed a set of CP9660 on my M3 and they are incredible. Will be using them on my 987 as well. I don't think there is anything on the market that offers this level of real Motorsport performance for the price.

Shame we can't just upgrade calipers on the GT cars......
Thank you!

Agreed on the GT cars. Hopefully some day!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:19 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone in this thread posted the correct response, and his user name may or may not rhyme with the word snooty.

We're just getting ready to launch a complete Essex Designed Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kit for the 986/987 Cayman and Boxster.

You can see all of the details on our front kit in the link above, and they will start shipping within then next 2-3 weeks. The rears will be up on our site soon, and we expect to start shipping the rears before April 1st.

The first two calipers below are the RSR calipers, followed by the front and rear caliper we're using in our 986/987 kits. We're also looking to do similar kits for the 981, 997, and 996 possibly. We just need to get those cars in here to take measurements and see what is possible. If anyone knows of someone interested in letting us measure their car, we will certainly make it worth their while. We currently have a Gen.6 Camaro SS on our lift, but once that's gone in a couple weeks, I'd be very interested in measuring another P car.
Hi Jeff, I wrote an email to both APRacing in England and to you guys, stateside, about which calipers would specifically work for the Cayman GT4. The objective was to run a more compact setup which would facilitate the usage of 18" track wheels. I even searched through the tech specs to find estimates of which versions would work, which was in my email. However, given the lack of a response I moved to inquire with PFC. Now, Jeff, if you're telling me APRacing will be producing a set of Radi-Cal calipers for the Cayman GT4. My question remains if they will provide enough clearance for 18" wheels then count me in . But I'd like to know how serious this option is or if it's just a pipe dream. It is a shame I'm not close enough to drive over for measurements.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:38 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ML///
Hi Jeff, I wrote an email to both APRacing in England and to you guys, stateside, about which calipers would specifically work for the Cayman GT4. The objective was to run a more compact setup which would facilitate the usage of 18" track wheels. I even searched through the tech specs to find estimates of which versions would work, which was in my email. However, given the lack of a response I moved to inquire with PFC. Now, Jeff, if you're telling me APRacing will be producing a set of Radi-Cal calipers for the Cayman GT4. My question remains if they will provide enough clearance for 18" wheels then count me in . But I'd like to know how serious this option is or if it's just a pipe dream. It is a shame I'm not close enough to drive over for measurements.
I love the sound of what you're proposing, and ideally it is precisely the solution we would develop. The disc size on your car is certainly overkill, particularly if you were running a system as efficient as ours. Unfortunately, I don't believe you're going to see a smaller-than-factory setup from any manufacturer. It's a packaging issue.

The problem is that the OEM caliper is a radial mount fitted to a 380mm disc. To design a caliper bracket to fit an aftermarket caliper, one needs the space for said bracket. Unfortunately, to create that space the only option is to go up on disc size. You'd be looking at 400mm+ discs front and rear, which in iron would weigh a tonne.

We haven't completely ruled out some sort of caliper design for the 991 GT3 and 981 GT4 that will fit on our AP Racing OEM J Hook discs. It would most likely be a derivative of the Radi-CAL the RSR's are running. We've had some initial discussions along those lines, and will continue to push forward in that direction with our friends at AP.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:27 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Circo makes very high quality pads. We actually did some testing with them a while back, and were very impressed with what we saw.
That's encouraging to hear. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:52 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

I volunteer my 99 996 for measurement duties. I've got 2 months before our first track day. I can even send 2 different sets of wheels. Jongbloeds and Forgelines.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:13 PM
marcus1249
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

I would be willing to send you my 03, 996 C2 from CT for a few weeks for a test fit!
Old 12-23-2017, 03:19 AM
MiamiHeat
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One company plasters sponsored cars with stickers and gives teams steep discounts to run their brakes, the other doesn't.

One *cough* British *cough* company has been in the braking/friction business longer than many of us have been alive. The Brits (AP) and the Italians (Brembo) dominate braking and continue to do so to this day, sorry USA! From Lemans, Japan Super GT, Aussie Super V8, Nascar, WRC, F1, GT, FIA, etc. PFC has barely any market share in the game compared to AP/Brembo. Don't even get me started on OE road car applications. That's a fact on mah momma blood!

Last edited by MiamiHeat; 12-23-2017 at 03:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Daytona RSR Brakes