Sponsored by:

AiM System Assistance Sought

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:55 PM
cmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AiM System Assistance Sought

I recently acquired a car which had an AiM MXL Pista dash system installed with a GPS unit and a Smartycam. I've downloaded the manual: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...XL_124_eng.pdf

It seems to me after reviewing that document that there must be an "idiot's guide" or something which gives you the basics of what to do after turning the system "on"...

Anyone know of such a thing? I've looked at AiM's YouTube channel and it seem to be mostly advanced topics. I've been using Harry's Lap Timer for a couple seasons and am looking for something that can help me establish a frame of reference.

I'm also considering attending one of the AiM seminars which are offered over the next couple months but am concerned there's some pre-requisite knowledge to be acquired before doing so...

Thanks,
-Corey
Old 01-27-2017, 06:59 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Start with these videos: https://m.youtube.com/user/aimdata
Old 01-27-2017, 07:22 PM
cmac
Instructor

Thanks gobuffs. I have checked out their channel and found the videos a bit advanced... They seem to assume you understand how to use the platform in a basic way unless there's a "dummies" video I've yet to find.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

The manual is terrible!

Send me an email.

I have some time over the weekend and can answer your questions.

I can explain the architecture, operation and maintenance for what you have.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-27-2017, 07:32 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

CMAC, I've been running the AiM Solo DL and Smartycam for several years. Contact me. Bill
Old 01-27-2017, 07:34 PM
cmac
Instructor

Thanks Peter and Bill!
Old 01-27-2017, 07:48 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Also, FYI there's a dedicated forum for Data Acquisition:

https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...ng-and-de-233/
Old 01-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Post your questions up here. I'm happy to help and keep it in a public thread to help anyone in the future. I'll post up some info in a bit to get you going.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:16 PM
cmac
Instructor

I didn't realize there was another forum, so I'll start reading back into that area also. Thanks...

As far as questions go, I'm sort-of at the point where I don't know what to ask. I'm trying to find something like a flowchart or overview document which describes what each component in the system does and how it fits into the workflow of recording data/video and working with that data.

What I have:
- MXL Dash
- SmartyCam
- External GPS
- Some USB port w/ a bus with coaxial wires connecting things together

I feel like if I have a basic grasp of how the system works overall I can dive into the more specialized tutorials. The AiM manual left me with more questions than answers...

-Corey
Old 01-27-2017, 08:44 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

The very best solution is to work with someone live at your next event that can show you the ropes. The manuals are terrible. The YouTube videos are great.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Sent an email, but the architecture is simple and modular. While the components are obsolete, they are still robust, reliable and up to the task.

The MXL display logger was built between 2005 and 2014, originally designed with an optical (infrared) pickup for lap timing. Most have had a GPS antenna added to them to establish GPS Speed, position, GPS measures for longitudinal acceleration (not included in the standard MXL Dash accelerometer measures). This also allows lap timing and lap count in an automated way.

The small Data Hub is merely a multiplier that allows AiM devices and accessories to communicate and operate with one another (over a proprietary AiM CAN network) and up to four accessories plug into one Expansion Port available on the MXL logger. The four-port hub will plug into the five pin female jack of the MXL (CAN Expansion). Then, the five-pin male plugs on the leads from the camera and the antenna will plug into any two open ports of the Data Hub. The Data Hub supplies power, ground and communications to and from the connected device.

There are two references to CAN. One is the CAN network on the car, basically many multiplexed messages transferred in codes over a twisted pair of wires in the vehicles' harness. Usually from the ECU to the back of the instrument cluster. With a two wire connection to an SPC car, you can get measures from sensors already in the car like engine RPM, throttle position, engine coolant temperature and many others. So, the MXL connects to the car's CAN network which supplies it with car specific information.

The other CAN referenced is the communications protocol between AiM devices and accessories. This allows the MXL to send information and data to the camera to be overlaid, real time, onto the video. It allows the antenna to send GPS speed and coordinates to the camera and the MXL. Power and ground are also sent over this network to turn everything on when the MXL gets power.

A nice feature of your setup is that the data from the MXL is sent to the camera and, along with the video recorded by the camera, can be downloaded from the chip (microSD card) in the camera at the conclusion of the session. In the download instructions using Race Studio 2, I'll cover that.

If you have bought this car with this equipment in it, chances are it has been configured and set up, as well as having tracks that you will visit loaded onto the Dash and the camera. You would use GPS Manager for that. Once the Dash, camera and tracks are loaded, there is no other work required except for regular operation, downloading and periodic maintenance, usually calibrating the accelerometers in the Dash and in the camera.

You should be using Race Studio 2 for the MXL configuration and downloading, GPS Manager for track management, and SmartyManager (NOT SmartyManager 2) for your version of the standard definition SmartyCam.

Use of the system in another post.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You're not alone in being unsure of where to start with a system like this.

Here's a quick photo of the basics how it works. The has has two round plugs on the back. From the front, the one on the right is for a timing beacon which you won't ever use. The one on the right is for the AiM CAN network. It will connect, either directly or through a patch cable, to a data hub. The data hubs work like a power strip allowing you to plug more things in. They are 5 pin and work on the AiM CAN network.

The data hub will take inputs from many things - other data hubs, channel expansions (for more sensors), the Smartycam (HD) connection, LCU-One, TC Hub, or a memory key. The order doesn't matter and they can be daisy chained to a really large number. Anything plugged into a data hub is automatically powered (except the LCU One) and will automatically work (once configured) and turn off automatically.

For devices that have to be configured, it would be the dash first. This would need the serial numbers for any channel expansions, LCU One serial number, and TC Hub serial numbers. The Smartycam feed needs to be configured in the dash, but the actual camera is done separately.

I didn't draw it on this sketch, but there are 2 Amp connectors on the back of the dash. They have power, ground, RS232 connection, CAN +, CAN -, and 8 analog channels that are terminated in female Binder 719 connectors. You can plug sensors/patch cables directly into these 8 channels. There is also a USB connection plug which may be connected to the USB bulkhead fitting.

The first thing I would do is download Race Studio 2 and get the config out of the dash so you can see what is in the car for sensors, devices, and how it is all configured.

I hope this all helps. Please ask more questions if any of this is still confusing or if you need more help. I'm sure you'll need more info, but this will get you going.
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2017, 09:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Matt, this SPC is an ex-BodyMotion car. So it's all set in terms of configuration and sensors.

Corey, The ONLY place I recommend downloading software for AiM products is from THIS page: http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/download/software.htm

Please bookmark it.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cmac
As far as questions go, I'm sort-of at the point where I don't know what to ask. I'm trying to find something like a flowchart or overview document which describes what each component in the system does and how it fits into the workflow of recording data/video and working with that data.

I feel like if I have a basic grasp of how the system works overall I can dive into the more specialized tutorials. The AiM manual left me with more questions than answers...

-Corey
Originally Posted by ProCoach
Matt, this SPC is an ex-BodyMotion car. So it's all set in terms of configuration and sensors.

Corey, The ONLY place I recommend downloading software for AiM products is from THIS page: http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/download/software.htm

Please bookmark it.
Didn't know what car it was, but just like you're post (we were typing at the same time), I was laying out, with a diagram, how the system works so he could picture the basics.

Good to see you posting up the info for everyone instead of privately. I'm sure it will help out more folks as well.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Good to see you posting up the info for everyone instead of privately.
You're doing a fine job!

Quick Reply: AiM System Assistance Sought