Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
You're doing a fine job!
I don't need to be the rainmaker. It's great to have people learn how to use everything on their own.

Back on topic, the software the OP will need is all in Peter's link to AiM's website. You'll need Race Studio 2, GPS Manager, and if you have an original Smartycam, you'll need SmartyManager. If you have an Smartycam HD, you'll need SmartyManger 2.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:16 AM
cmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

This is excellent so far, thanks! Matt, thanks for the diagram. The wiring is fairly intuitive, so how the components connect makes sense.

Peter, thanks for the perspective on the age/type of components. Do you guys know if I could upgrade to the new Smartycam HD? I may not, but I'm used to a fairly new GoPro and this seems like something I might want to do.

Ok, here's what I understand so far:
- MXL dash and GPS unit work together to feed data to Smartycam for real-time overlay.
- Camera stores videos on its MicroSD card.
- System works automatically after the initial setup with Race Studio 2 and GPS Manager.

So, if I've got that right, once initially configured--probably already done for many of the tracks I drive--I can probably just pop in a MicroSD card and go...?

If that's correct, more questions:
- What role does SmartyCam manager have in all this? Just to set up camera parameters: resolution, etc.?
- How and what am I plugging into with my laptop to run the software? I have a USB cable which terminates in what looks like a 3.5mm headphone plug. Do I plan to connect routinely or mostly for initial setup?
- There's a "Memory Key" which has a very short cable connected to the CAN hub. It's attached to the dash using velcro which suggests it's removable. What is that used for?
- During routine use, am I just swapping MicroSD cards in/out of the Smartycam... or is it some combination of that and the MemoryKey? I assume for more advanced analytics there would be something else involved.
- Assuming I want to do a couple laps around my driveway to see how this works before going to the track, what will happen?

Thanks a lot guys... You're definitely "connecting the dots" on this and it's much appreciated.

-Corey
Old 01-28-2017, 01:36 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think you are correct on all your thoughts.

A Smartycam HD would work with your system without any trouble.

SmartyManager configures the video overlay in the camera. You only have to do this once (or when you want to change the data overlay). The camera parameters are set with the buttons and menus in camera.

The USB with a 3.5mm plug you descrive plugs into the left side of the dash and into your computer. Then with Race Studio 2, you can connect to configure the dash and download your data.

The memory key screws into one of the data hubs and records the data on it. Then, you can remove the data key and plug the USB portion into your laptop to get the data. It saves you from having to connect to the dash and it's also a nice way to pull data mid race if their are pit stops.

For the Smartycam, once you have it configured how you want, it's just a matter of taking the MicroSD card out and putting in a new one. The card with the video on it will already have the data overlay and be ready to watch. With the original SC, the MicroSD will have the data on it as well, so you can get everything from it. You can also get the data from the dash directly or the memory key. Note that the video is only on the memory card.

If you do driveway laps, you'll record data and video automatically. The MXL Pista will record anytime there is more than 500 rpm or wheel speeds of more than 6 mph (and it has power). You'll see the small data files and video files. You can download them and see everything. They won't have any lap markers, but will show the GPS map and everything else. If you added a start/finish line on your route through GPS manager (making a new track), you would even get lap times!
Old 01-28-2017, 11:10 AM
cmac
Instructor

Thanks Matt. This is exactly the information I needed... I've got all the software downloaded and am looking forward to poking around this weekend!

-Corey
Old 01-28-2017, 11:48 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Corey, I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade up on the camera until you use this system in anger a few times. The convenience of the data and video from one chip is a big time saver and unless the SmartyCam lens holder is worn out (resulting in shaky, out of focus video), you'll have plenty of good info to evaluate and improve upon with your current setup. If/when you want to upgrade, I'd be glad to supply.

One thing that helps keep only the info that you'll really use is to deselect in the download window files that aren't big/aren't long in download time so you only keep the good stuff.

Have fun!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've found the memory key and microSD card download to be slower than plugging into the dash directly. They are handy if you can't or don't want to be at the car, but for large sensor counts or long sessions, I find it quicker to plug in.

If it was me, I'd sell the original Smartycam since they have a pretty high value on the used market (since it makes the data file). Then, it's a small upgrade expense to a Smartycam HD where you'll have better video quality.

Just like Peter, Jerry, and other folks on Rennlist, I stock the cameras and can configure it ready to go for you. Let me know if you need any other help. If you run into a problem over the weekend,- please don't hesitate to give me a call on my cell 603-674-3250 and I can walk you through things without you having to get frustrated or stuck.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:00 PM
cmac
Instructor

Thanks Peter and Matt... excellent advice. I'm inclined to bang around with this camera for at least a couple weekends before I consider an upgrade--just wanted to see if it was a possibility. That said, it seems like something I'll do and will keep you guys at the top of the list for future gear.

I've connected the Smartycam to my PC for the first time and when I push the power button I'm finding it just sits frozen on what I suspect is its boot screen... (I'm attaching a photo.) The SmartyManager application can't locate the camera.

I'll start reading the Smartycam manual but in case there's a quick fix to be had on this let me know.

Again, much appreciated on the advice. Unfortunately, I'm not racing Daytona this weekend but learning some of this will give me something to do during commercial breaks.

-Corey
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2017, 01:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cmac
when I push the power button I'm finding it just sits frozen on what I suspect is its boot screen... (I'm attaching a photo.) The SmartyManager application can't locate the camera.

I'll start reading the Smartycam manual but in case there's a quick fix to be had on this let me know.

-Corey
Not a quick fix. Stuck on the OS start up.

What you should do is remove the camera, charge it up with the USB cable (it doesn't have to be on).

Download and unzip this firmware release http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa..._v01.03.14.zip and copy it to the root (top) level of your microSD card.

Insert the card and press the center power button and the button to the right ("Select", to the right of the center button while under the screen) to enable the firmware booter.

Release the center button immediately upon startup and continue holding the right side button until the Linux penguin shows up, then release and allow the firmware booter to continue.

If nothing changes, send the camera to Chad at AiM Sports SE, 1636 9th St SE, Roanoke VA 24013 and they'll unstick it. I think they just pull the CMOS battery and reset it.

Static electricity or a voltage surge may have simply corrupted the OS startup file. No biggy. Not common, but not a permanent problem or a component failure.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:20 PM
cmac
Instructor

Unfortunately, no luck. I loaded the file onto a fresh card and went through the process. The button combination has no effect and I'm stuck on the screen. I just read the specs in the manual for this model and under Memory it says: 4 Giga (up to 16 Giga supported). Does that apply to some internal memory or mean this unit only supports up to 16gb MicroSD cards?

I only have 64gb cards here, so if that's a limitation I'll have to find a smaller one before ruling out the firmware process...

-Corey
Old 01-28-2017, 04:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, that is a limitation and is probably the issue.

IF you are Mac savvy, use Disk Utility to reformat the card as FAT32. Currently, the card is probably NTFS or exFAT. All cards 32 GB or under are FAT32 natively. I should have thought of that first.

I've used 32 GB cards successfully before in those units with the .14 firmware.

Found this utility for Windoze online: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm
Old 01-28-2017, 05:36 PM
cmac
Instructor

I managed to delete the partition on the card and recreate as 8GB / FAT32 using the Windows diskpart.exe utility. It looks right but still no luck. The Smartycam manual seems to suggest dropping the ZIP file directly into the root partition, so I tried that and also dropping the extracted file as you suggest. I may pick up a 16GB card somewhere tomorrow just to rule that out, but options are narrowing and I will likely be contacting AiM on Monday...

Anyhow, I remain optimistic... many thanks!

-Corey
Old 01-28-2017, 10:43 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 489 Posts

Corey, the set-up you have should be absolutely bullet proof, trouble free and turn-key as it is identical to the one in my old car. I'd be happy to help you out in person if you can get the car to me, or we can meet at the track or at Bodymotion sometime. If you plan on being at Sebring next week, I can help you there. Feel free to send me a PM. Best, Frank.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:30 AM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I ask about how to use the Aim Data excel export and create sectors? I'm struggling how to analyze the data more effectively outside the Aim software. All I want to do is pinpoint three sectors and then view how my time compares against those sectors for each of my laps. if you can do this with the software would anyone care to share?
Old 01-29-2017, 11:29 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ML///
Can I ask about how to use the Aim Data excel export and create sectors? I'm struggling how to analyze the data more effectively outside the Aim software. All I want to do is pinpoint three sectors and then view how my time compares against those sectors for each of my laps. if you can do this with the software would anyone care to share?
It sounds like what you want is a split report with a custom map. If these videos don't help, please post back and we'll get you going.

Here is the split report video

And here is the video on creating custom maps
Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 PM
cmac
Instructor

Frank, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, the SmartyCam is dead and will need to go back to AiM for a reset as Peter suggested. (I got a 16GB card today and tried the reflash just to be 100% sure.) I won't be at Sebring unfortunately--good luck with the new car btw--looks like my first race will be Lime Rock. I'd welcome any help and hope to catch up with you if you'll be there.

-Corey

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AiM System Assistance Sought