Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM Act still threatening us

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:44 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 205 Posts

I heard back from my local Congressman. I don't think he gets the point.
This is the response I got.

"Thank you for contacting me regarding the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act (H.R. 350). I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me on this important matter.

As a proud member of the House Safe Climate Caucus, I work to reduce the impacts of climate change. Policies that help mitigate the impacts of climate change are essential to reducing the dangers of pollution and conserving the environment. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) Phase 2 program would significantly reduce carbon emissions and help to address the challenges of global climate change and energy security. Additionally, it would result in approximately $230 billion in net benefits over the lifetime of the vehicles sold in the regulatory timeframe.

As you know, H.R. 350 would exclude vehicles used solely for competition from certain provisions of the Clean Air Act. Should this legislation be considered on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If I may be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact my office."
Old 01-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

This from CT...

"Thank you for contacting me about the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act. As you know, if enacted into law, this legislation would exclude vehicles used solely for competition—including motorcycles—from certain provisions of the Clean Air Act. I appreciate your correspondence and hope that you find this response helpful.

While I recognize the intent of the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act is to protect certain sports interests, it's my duty to weigh those objectives against the environmental impacts the aforementioned changes to the Clean Air Act would entail. In this case, the environmental impacts that would result from the enactment of this bill are significant. Further, I remain skeptical that we should at any time bypass one of the nation's most important modern environmental laws.

The Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act has not yet come to the Senate floor for a vote. Rest assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should the bill be considered.

Thank you again for contacting me about this matter. I appreciate hearing from you and assure you that I will always do my best to represent the views of my constituents in the Senate. In the future, please do not hesitate to call me in my Connecticut office at (860) 549-8463 or in my Washington office at (202) 224-4041.

Every Best Wish,

Christopher S. Murphy
United States Senator"
Old 01-30-2017, 03:19 PM
marcus1249
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

I got the same one in CT from Chris Murphy and the following from Rosa DeLauro

Thank you very much for contacting me regarding H.R. 4715, the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act. I appreciate hearing from you on this matter and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, H.R. 4715 would amend the Clean Air Act to block the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) from regulating modified motor vehicles, which can be used for racing and different activities.

You may be pleased to know that the EPA announced it was dropping proposed language that would have prevented amateur drivers from converting street cars into race cars. The proposed language was part of a rule introduced by EPA in 2015.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. I appreciate hearing from you and ask that you keep me informed on matters of concern to you in the future.

Sincerely,

ROSA L. DeLAURO

Member of Congress
Old 01-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 205 Posts

So, does this mean things are settled? If not, there seems to be some confusion amongst our elected officials on how the law actually relates to converted street cars.

Could someone more knowledgeable about the details write up a standard response for us that are not as articulate in our rebuttals?

-Mark
Old 02-02-2017, 01:59 PM
rkeele66
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rpm

done
Old 02-04-2017, 12:37 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GA. Perdue claims to be an enthusiast himself.

Dear Mr. White:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the proposals by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to regulate the motorsports industry. I always appreciate the opportunity to hear from my fellow Georgians.

As a motorsports enthusiast, I believe the proposed regulation on one of America’s most time-honored traditions is unacceptable. This is a blatant overreach by the Executive Branch, which is why I am a cosponsor of S. 2659, the “Recognizing the Protection of Motor Sports Act of 2016.” Time after time, this administration has used federal agencies to circumvent Congress to implement its extreme agenda. I will not stand for another federal power grab, and can assure you that I will do everything in my power to protect Georgia from Washington’s burdensome regulations.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about how this proposed regulation would affect the motorsports industry. Please do not hesitate to let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Kindest regards,

David Perdue
United States Senator
Old 02-10-2017, 03:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Follow the money... At least, in my state.

Dear Mr. Krause:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on S. 203, Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act of 2017. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you are aware, on January 24, 2017, Senator Burr and I introduced S. 203. If enacted, this bill would amend the Clean Air Act’s anti-tampering provision to clarify that neither removal nor alteration of the emission controls of a motor vehicle shall be considered “tampering,” if done solely for the purpose of converting a motor vehicle into a vehicle that will be used only for competition.

I cosponsored S. 203 because the Clean Air Act was never intended to allow the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to regulate vehicles used solely for competition, including vehicles modified to be used exclusively for racing. Congress provided the EPA with the authority to regulate non-road vehicles and engines through the Clean Air Act Amendments passed in 1990. The amendments explicitly excluded vehicles used solely for competition from the definition of “non-road vehicle.”

Our state is home to several racing teams and the NASCAR Hall of Fame, and this proposed rule could potentially affect hundreds, if not thousands, of jobs in North Carolina. Please be assured that I will continue to work on ways to protect taxpayers by rolling back government overreach and unnecessary and burdensome regulations such as this one.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me again about other important issues.

Sincerely,

Thom Tillis
U.S. Senator
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Won't this all be a moot point once the Republicans dismantle the EPA?
Old 02-10-2017, 04:55 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
if done solely for the purpose of converting a motor vehicle into a vehicle that will be used only for competition.r
This still makes me nervous. What if you are building a track car for lap days but never actually compete?
Old 02-24-2017, 07:08 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Response a friend received in Illinois:

Dear Neighbor,
Thank you for contacting me about the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act. I appreciate you taking the time to make me aware of your concerns on this important matter.

If enacted, the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act would exclude the conversion of road vehicles to race cars from anti-tampering provisions included in the Clean Air Act. This bill was introduced on January 24, 2017 by Senator Richard Burr and referred to the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.

According to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) spokeswoman Laura Allen, the recent regulation does not prohibit road-to-race car conversions. Instead, the final rule clarifies that it remains illegal to modify or tamper with emissions control systems installed in vehicles used on public roads. The EPA further stated that they are focused on aftermarket manufacturers selling devices designed to defeat emission control systems, rather than enforcement on the individual level.

If you are interested in further background regarding this issue, Research Manager Brent Yacobucci from the Congressional Research Institute testified before the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology. You can find his testimony detailing the history of the provision here.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue. If you would like more information on my work in the Senate, please visit my website at www.duckworth.senate.gov. You can find upcoming events in the state, sign up for my newsletter, access my voting record and see what I am doing to address today’s most important issues. I hope that you will continue to share your views and opinions with me and let me know whenever I may be of assistance to you.

Sincerely,
Old 02-25-2017, 04:41 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Won't this all be a moot point once the Republicans dismantle the EPA?
yep. We'll all be distracted by dying from air and water pollution.

Quick Reply: RPM Act still threatening us