Sponsored by:

Racing suit for karting and HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:20 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Racing suit for karting and HPDE

I joined an adult Karting league for some winter wheel time. Most of the members have their own racing suits (which are required by the facility); the shared suits are fairly gross.

Thus, I need to buy a suit. I see there are some inexpensive single layer adult Karting suits ($100-150) which are made from a fire retardant fabric. I then note 3 layer suits at $250 on up. I assume these are better suits (but not sure why they are better).

In any regard, if I'm buying a suit, might as well have one I can use for DEs should I desire. What are the considerations? Alternatively, should I be thinking of a car racing suit and using it for Karting?

Any recommendations?

db
Old 01-24-2017, 01:18 AM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Karting suits are made for abrasion resistance, where as racing suits are designed for fire protection. They're not interchangeable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZZd5udfJ10
Old 01-24-2017, 10:18 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 12:34 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep you'll need two different suits. Don't buy a cheap one, you'll regret it. The cheap suits feel like you're wearing a moving blanket and you'll die in the summer. Even my mid tier 900 dollar suit is pretty hot.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:38 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Yep you'll need two different suits. Don't buy a cheap one, you'll regret it. The cheap suits feel like you're wearing a moving blanket and you'll die in the summer. Even my mid tier 900 dollar suit is pretty hot.
"Moving Blanket" - great description of the concession suits at the track (and over street clothes to make things worse). I was aiming for the entry level 3 layer suits - $250-300 range which I could wear without street cloths underneath. There are cheap suits in the $100-150 range I was going to avoid. Although this league is indoors, I may continue to the outdoor league in the summer.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:48 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't know much about kart suits but the reason for 3 layers for car suits is to provide more burn protection. I don't think you have much fire risk in a Kart so you need something that has good abrasion resistance. Anyway with safety gear you should not cheap out. You're sitting a few inches off the ground with no restraints in something moving 60+ mph and missing large chunks of skin is no fun.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:09 PM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Whatever suit you decide, make sure it fits. Don't buy online unless you know for sure it'll fit. A size 48 suit from one manufacturer isn't the same size 48 from another. For example, my old Alpinestars KMX-5 suit fits me the same as my newer Oakley/Sparco karting suit size 52. Expect to pay about $200-$300 for a mid-level karting suit. As others have mentioned, two suits for difference purposes. The abrasion resistance material from a karting suit is not recommend for driving on track in a car, since it's synthetic and will burn quickly. Likewise, the fireproof material from an auto race suit will lack minimal abrasion resistance for karting. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2017, 04:58 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I found a great deal on a KMX-5; apparently they are a 2014 design and being discontinued. It's returnable for size.

Quick Reply: Racing suit for karting and HPDE