Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few 2:06 laps at VIR in the 993

Old 01-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default A few 2:06 laps at VIR in the 993

Winter sucks and I've been watching video and pouring over data from last season. I know there's a little more on the table, my TBL says 2:06.1 and I clicked off a couple 2:06.3's. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

https://vimeo.com/198932646
Old 01-18-2017, 02:11 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Paddy - I had a quick look.

Nice driving.

Globally - you're still largely on the left side of the slip angle curve. There's still a bit more grip available should you choose to exploit it - which I understand involves increased risk

I will watch a few more times with some specific minor line adjustments - some areas, independent of deep data diving - that I know can net you some more time.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:16 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Old 01-18-2017, 02:33 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Paddy. Nice driving, but maybe a bit too smooooove. Suggests perhaps that you may not be "on the edge of out of control". Now I've been accused of the opposite (my nickname is "sawzall" after all). There probably is a middle ground between the two where both of us should aspire to be. Perhaps VR or Procoach can comment further.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,399 Likes on 747 Posts

Traveling, will watch later today and comment. I know Paddy well
Old 01-18-2017, 05:10 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Video keeps pausing to buffer. Will try later. Glen, how you doing? Matt, would love to see how the car is coming along. I am actually putting my 993 up for sale soon..
Old 01-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,399 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Video keeps pausing to buffer. Will try later. Glen, how you doing? Matt, would love to see how the car is coming along. I am actually putting my 993 up for sale soon..
Like with Bob, the video kept stopping for me as well.

It does look as if you are overbraking in the first brake zone for the Oak Tree complex (while going uphill). Remember, gravity slows you there, as does your turning the wheel into Oak tree...just like down at the end of the back straight into 14. Use that. Carry a bit more speed up that hill and do more of the rotation into Oak Tree with the brakes, and more entry speed as well IMO. So there is some time there.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Strange, I don't have any issues with the video on my end.

As for sawing at the wheel ,I probably could/should push it a little more but I'm not sure how much time that will really yield. Agreed, I'm overbraking in T-14 and probably T-1. Not sure I can carry more speed into Oak Tree, data says my entry is 71 mph on the 2:06.3 lap and I scared myself with that entry. Let me play with Traqstudio and try and get the data to overlap the video.

Matt's what's going on with the Smurf?

Bob, what's next?
Old 01-19-2017, 01:36 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

I'm working thru your vid right now. Will also try to post some vid back at ya tomorrow re. different approaches/ideas in just a couple sections.

Agree with Dave's comments.

Per Glen's comment, I'm not advocating sawing at the wheel with reckless abandon but more in response/anticipation to being at the peak of the slip angle curve. You have more tire available if you want to use it - understanding that spending more time at the limit entails more risk with a pretty car

Per your and Bob's query... Smurf is again in pieces right now. Tweaking a few bits, later EVO front bumper, making a flat bottom splitter (finally), and changing to MCS shocks and a bit stiffer spring package. Lastly, Steve Weiner had the guys at Wrightwood make some scrumptious custom hats for AP rotors. Have fronts, waiting for rears.

Bob - what gives with selling your sled? Noooooooooooooooooooooo.

Glen - you really need a 993 again

Last edited by jdistefa; 01-19-2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-19-2017, 10:13 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Bob, alli us well, hope to see you at the rtr imstructor dinner on saturday. Matt, Truth be told, i was very close to pulling the trigger on a 993 last month... However, i was spoiled with "precious". There are only a handfull of 993's that would serve as a worthy replacement, and they are not for sale (e.g smurf). As per my past routines, six months without a race car starts wearing on me... I'm finding myself perusing the for sale forums a bit lately. So we'll see if i find a new sled for the spring or summer.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:00 AM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

This is completely unfair to us mortals but you have watched this, correct:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...d-porsche.html

What I noticed most was differences in your line and a lot more steering input in places. I am not sure what suspension you are running and, obviously, our 993's are much different than a GTD car but it seems there are several spots, like the Esses that you could follow Leh's line and inputs.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:25 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

PM sent
Old 01-21-2017, 04:46 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EVO front bumper, making a flat bottom splitter (finally), and changing to MCS shocks and a bit stiffer spring package.

Bob - what gives with selling your sled? Noooooooooooooooooooooo.

Matt,

I have a full aluminum under tray with a rear diffuser. I can try and make a template or at least get you some picts. I use slightly heavier sheet aluminum because car needs a little ballast anyways and it effectively supports the front splitter without the need for bumper stanchions. I used the EVO1 bumper off the RSR Cup design. It provides super cooling to the radiators.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by certz
This is completely unfair to us mortals but you have watched this, correct:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...d-porsche.html

What I noticed most was differences in your line and a lot more steering input in places. I am not sure what suspension you are running and, obviously, our 993's are much different than a GTD car but it seems there are several spots, like the Esses that you could follow Leh's line and inputs.
HA! Agreed, our cars are vastly different, GTD has real aero, stiffer chassis, massive amount of rubber both in front and rear, not to mention twice the power, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A few 2:06 laps at VIR in the 993