Sponsored by:

First time at VIR for PCA zone 2 DE 3/17-3/19 2017

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:59 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default First time at VIR for PCA zone 2 DE 3/17-3/19 2017

Can't wait - heard a lot of good things. I'll be with the white group in my spec boxster. Bill Rudtner said he'll sit right seat with me for my first session. Going to be watching a lot of VIR video to hopefully get used to it (unfortunately I don't yet have a decent SIM setup). Also need to get in shape.

Any VIR tips?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Old 01-16-2017, 12:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Can't wait - heard a lot of good things. I'll be with the white group in my spec boxster. Bill Rudtner said he'll sit right seat with me for my first session. Going to be watching a lot of VIR video to hopefully get used to it (unfortunately I don't yet have a decent SIM setup). Also need to get in shape.

Any VIR tips?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Will send a pm with links to detailed notes. Bill will be a great resource. Have fun!
Old 01-16-2017, 12:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I don't know if you can still get a copy of the VIR webinar that Peter did, but it is very good.

Here are some other good links

http://www.raceoptimal.com/VIR
http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2012...rackguide.html
Old 01-16-2017, 01:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I don't know if you can still get a copy of the VIR webinar that Ross Bentley and Peter did, but it is very good.

Here are some other good links

http://www.raceoptimal.com/VIR
http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2012...rackguide.html
I'll find and post that link for Ross and my two-hour dissection of VIR.

The AoO link with James Clay's notes is good, but the corner numbers have changed and this could really screw up a n00b at VIR!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:51 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

I was is the same boat last year. First time on the track at the Zone 2 event. I was in the black run group. The first day I just took it slow, even ran the street tires. The event is full of regulars that know and love the track, and are eager to get back on it from the off-season

So your first day will be giving EVERYONE a point-by, all the time! Be really careful on the super-long back straight. You can safely point that 150 MPH GT3 by while you are going >125, but sticking your arm out into 125 mph air can injure you if you just throw it out the window!

That zeal all the regulars have is awesome. You will be safe as you learn, you will have lots of cars to follow, and the collective wisdom in the paddock is huge. Talk to everyone about corners and lines. They get a kick out of watching that moment when new people fall in love with the track. By the third day you should be fully enjoying what the track has to offer, and making a couple people regret all the advice they gave!

cheers
Old 01-17-2017, 09:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I don't know if you can still get a copy of the VIR webinar that Ross and Peter did, but it is very good.
https://speedsecrets.com/category/trackwalk/
Old 01-17-2017, 10:05 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

See you there Jeff. This event is always a blast. Tons of track time especially on Sunday after everyone bails early.....

Peter, could you please PM me those notes as well?
Old 01-17-2017, 05:58 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
https://speedsecrets.com/category/trackwalk/
I don't see VIR
Old 01-17-2017, 06:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jlanka
I don't see VIR
You're right! I'll ask him to get his webmaster to fix it.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-17-2017, 08:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Oops, can't fix it. Not right away.

PM me and I'll give you the details.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:04 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 173 Posts

Jeff--if you're riding with Bill in his rig on the trip down, relax and enjoy. But if you're driving yourself down, WATCH YOUR SPEED IN VIRGINIA. I can't emphasize this enough. As you're probably aware, radar detectors are illegal in Virginia. What you may not know, is that driving on any public road above 80mph in Virginia is a CLASS 1 MISDEMEANOR. Even in a 70mph zone. That's right--it's not just a speeding ticket, it's an actual misdemeanor and a court appearance. If you're driving in a completely safe, secure manner at 81mph on a Virginia divided highway, staying in your lane and away from other traffic, it's considered "Reckless Driving by Speed." This obviously comes as a shock to NY residents. On our local NY highways, if you're not driving 75-80mph, you'll get run over. In Virginia, if you're safely cruising at 81mph, you get slapped with a misdemeanor charge on the same level that they assign to a DUI. It's absolutely ridiculous. Not surprisingly, there's an enormous industry there of traffic attorneys offering to plead your case for $500-1000.

So when you hit Virginia, set the cruise control on 70-75, put away the radar detector, and turn on Waze.

A-holes tailgating and cutting in and out of traffic on the Northern State Pkwy or Meadowbrook? THAT'S reckless driving. A simple 81mph in a 70mph zone is clearly not reckless driving, unless you're in Virginia.

With that said, enjoy VIR. It truly lives up to the hype.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:23 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Thanks for the tip. My highway driving (I drive from LI -> Killington and back every weekend) is to set cruise at 77 or 78 (on the NYS thruway) and never go over 80. That being said, I'll be pulling my 24' enclosed ATC trailer with my new Ford Excursion EL so with that setup I'll probably go no faster than 65.

Can't wait for VIR I've been watching a lot of video.

Jeff
Old 01-18-2017, 11:25 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Difool, as I'm sure you recall, last year the weather was only 1/3 hospitable. Friday was fun, Sat was chilly and iffy...took forever for tires to warm up. Sun was wet and cold to say the least.
Hope you get better weather this year.

OP you will leave VIR with a small bit of your heart remaining here forever. That's how it is for me with these tracks that are "Old Soul" circuits. Hope it's the first of many returns to follow. Enjoy.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:28 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Wonderful track with great 3D geometry. Reminds me of Watkins Glen, but with more going on. Enjoy it.

Also respect the track and recognize that, despite all the apparent runoff, there are things to hit, so take it easy starting out and be patient in adding pace.

Couple specific safety things: stay on the gas in South Bend as the track falls away, and also after turning right after diving down into Hog Pen.

No one knows the track better than ProCoach, so absorb whatever he offers ...
Old 01-19-2017, 10:10 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Thanks for all the great advice. Question: Since it is my first time there and I'll be driving a slower pace to learn the track should I go out with a lower run group for the first few sessions?

Quick Reply: First time at VIR for PCA zone 2 DE 3/17-3/19 2017